• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Loading 243 using H4350 question.

justintimesc

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2010
South Carolina
I looked and see that most everyone using H4350 is loading 41 to 41.5 grains when loading 105 gr bullets. However in the loading manuals states that 37.5 is max. I am loading now and I'm working up my loads to find my max in this gun but 41.5 just seems like a lot over max. Can someone verify that 41.5 is a safe load. Before I load a bunch that I will have to pull later.

Re: Loading 243 using H4350 question.

If you're going with the heavy pills, skip the H4350 and go right to Retumbo

243 Winchester using Hodgon's Retumbo
(use magnum primers with these loads)
105 grain bullet, 48.5 grains
107 grain bulllet, 48.1 grains
(107's work well in 8 twist barrels only)

I have yet to use retumbo because 4350 and .243 and heavies have worked flawless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to use retumbo because 4350 and .243 and heavies have worked flawless. </div></div>

What load are you using with it? Do you have to use magnum primers with retumbo?

I have not had to use magnum primers with my 47.5 gr. Retumbo load.

You need to change your load work up process... or start one. You do not load a bunch at 41.5 and go to the range. You load 3 each and start at 37.0 and vary by .5 grains, then examine each case and your rifle for pressure signs.

Depending on so many different things that I can't even begin to count, your rifle may piss the bed at 41.5. Start low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to change your load work up process... or start one. You do not load a bunch at 41.5 and go to the range. You load 3 each and start at 37.0 and vary by .5 grains, then examine each case and your rifle for pressure signs.

Depending on so many different things that I can't even begin to count, your rifle may piss the bed at 41.5. Start low. </div></div>

Thats what I did. Just wanted to make sure more or less that load had been safe in someone elses rifle before I loaded them and had to go back and pull them. I absolutley hate pulling bullets.

I got to 44 with that load before I decided to quit. Not really a pressure issue, as I felt I could keep going, but I was at 3150+ and don't have any reason to drive them that fast. I worked up from 35gr in .5gr incriments.

I had this same concern. I was looking for load data for 105 scenars and H4350 and was concerned with the discrepency between the loading manual info and what some on the hide were posting.

I can say that I started at shade under max loads posted in the manuals and worked up in 0.5 grain increments and found that loading over the published max showed absolutely no signs of pressure.

I would however start on the lower side and keep an eye on bolt lift, primer flow, and any other signs of over pressure as you shot. Good luck

I went to the range and shot the h4350 and it showed no signs of pressure up to 42 grains. That's where I had stopped loading. The h4350 doesnt seem To do very well in my gun. Looks like it prefers the retumbo. I got some very nice groups at 49 grains.

The thing to watch out for with Retumbo is that it is temp sensitive. I've heard of fantastic 243W loads being worked up with Retumbo+115 gr D'tacs. Just understand that the load you work up now might be problematic in the hot Summer months.

I was planning to explore a Retumbo load with my 243 but found that 43gr of H4350 with the BN coated 115's was so accurate that I never bothered. No pressure signs in my rifle and I don't have to worry about problems with temperature variation.

Good advice to ladder up slowly as you work up any load regardless of bullet or powder.

I must be the only one that uses these powders. I love Hybrid 100v and Supreme 780 for heavy pills in the 243. Well heavy to me is 95gr. My stock Remmy doesn't handle the real big boys to well regardless of the powder.

According to Hodgdon website, Retumbo is one of their "Extreme Rifle Powders", which as developed to give shooters consistent performance, load after load, in even the most extreme heat and cold.

It's interesting to hear that in the hot summer nights one may experience problematic results. What exactly could one experience? Unsafe pressures from a load which worked well in the winter?

I'm interested because I just got a can of it and will be working up a load with it.

In my factory Rem 700 w/ a 22" 9.125 twist, I shoot the 105 amax over 47.0 gr Retumbo with CCI 200 primers in Lapua brass, with .5 MOA or better results. I've shot this load for the last year and a half, through the entirety of temperature fluctuations which Georgia experiences, with no discernible problems due temperature sensitivity. My dope is very consistent year round with that load as opposed to my 85 gr SGK load, which is using IMR 4064. If I remember correctly, I may experience a .1-.2 mil difference in required elevation @ 650 yds with the Retumbo load and a 1.0-1.2 mil difference with the IMR 4064 load, between summer and winter. I'd have to check my logs to be positive though.

That's good to hear.

I also have had good experiences with 70g using 33.7 of H322, CCI BR2 and just plain old Win cases.

Gotten between 0.247 and 0.788. Depending on how good a day I'm having, how my back is holding up, etc. Temp hasn't made a significant difference between 35 F to mid 70 F. YMMV.

Got some 105's which I want to try with Retumbo next.