• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

long time lurker, first time poster **new gun**

hossb7

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
San Joaquin Co.
Well, I figured it was about time to make my first post. After being on SH for a long time (trying to absorb as much information as possible) I decided to buy my first precision bolt gun.

rem700spstac308.jpg

Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308.

As for glass, I'm strongly leaning towards the SWFA SS 10x42. It's gotten good reviews on SH as well as other websites, their customer service sounds great and it's priced right.

I know a lot of people pooh-pooh buying a budget optic while saving for quality glass but I feel that having affordable but quality glass and being able to shoot the gun is better than having it sit in a safe waiting for better glass. To each their own.

Re: long time lurker, first time poster **new gun**

Solid choice. Good basic starter rifle and scope. Once your rifle ADD kicks in and you JUST HAVE TO HAVE something "better", this package will retain a high amount of resale value.

Not a bad set up at all. Same set up I used for a long time, with the lone difference being a 16x instead of a 10x SS. That rifle was GTG with FGMM 168 gr. Loved the stuff. I think you'll be pleased with that stick and optic choice.

great start, and far as your optics choice, I can agree with you, start with what you can and build upo from there, better to be shooting the next year rather than waiting a year for a scope then shooting, Good Shooting!

I'll be budgeting in a new stock as well - perhaps the B&C Tactical, then pillar bed it to the action.

Great starter setup. The plus side is that it is a great base to build off of. Also, Bell and carlson makes a great stock. Enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HossB7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know a lot of people pooh-pooh buying a budget optic while saving for quality glass but I feel that having affordable but quality glass and being able to shoot the gun is better than having it sit in a safe waiting for better glass. To each their own. </div></div>

Yea mine is in the safe waiting for good glass. Playing musical scopes right now so that i can shoot it. has sat in the safe for the last 2 weeks. un-shot. 5R Mil-Spec .308

Nice choice!

I have a .223 Rem 700 ADL with a SS 10x scope and have been real happy with it. The only upgrade I have done was replace the trigger with a Jewel. One of these days I am going to rebarrel it with a 1:7 (has a 1:12), and add a new stock. I find the SS 10x scope a good match for that rifle and a budget build.

Congratulations!