• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for pet loads for a DPMS 243 in 10 twist

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Before the search NAZI's say a word I did and came up empty .

As for the rest much more helpful and pleasent members of this forum I just purchased a 243 DPMS upper that should be here by the weeks end. I've not loaded this cal for a gas gun and am heavy on bullets in the 66 to 87 grain area. I like to hear about the powders that burn clean and trouble free. Also, will be looking for a source of brass, once fired would be fine. Any hints or helpful tips to pass on? Donald

Re: Looking for pet loads for a DPMS 243 in 10 twist

Thanks Mr. H.

I know that there's allot of powders that can be used. I would like to find out what others have used and found to burn clean and cycle well in a DPMS gas gun. Some powders are sure to be better than others just as there are powders better for 308 M1a's and M1 30-06 Garands. No need to re-invent the wheel if there are people with real world hands on with this set up.
Donald

In my 260 DPMS LR (not too different from a 243) I use H 4350 for match type ammo
(140 SMKs, Norma, A Maxes) and W760 for hunting with 120 TSXs. No real difference in fouling. I blast out the guts with GunBlaster every 300 or so and relube.
M-1s are a lot more cranky as you can actually damage the operating system with the wrong powders or too heavy bullets. 4895 & 4064 are the go to powders for them.

Yep I agree about an M1. Just loaded some 168's with 4985 today. I've got a bunch of 4350 so I'll look up some loads for the 243 with 75 and 77 bullets. I just used the last of my 66 bergers in my 6BR so I'll have to restock on them. I love that bullet it shoots in everything I have in 6mm.

Another question for you Mr. H. How does the finish on your DPMS stand up to the gunblaster cleaner? Do you have to protect the outside or plastic parts?

Donald

Yeah, keep gunblaster or brake cleaner (suspect they are the same stuff!) off plastic.
I really f/ued my TC 22s 5 shot clip letting blaster get on the bottom (plastic).
Also a no no for wood stocks.

I only blast the upper after taking the bolt and op rod out. Muzzle is up over a metal trashcan.You can also clean the gas tube with muzzle down over same can. I made up a tube over tube rig to ensure the blaster only goes inside the gas tube. Bolt gets soaked in Hoppes benchrest overnight and then airblasted before relub with Brownells black lube.