• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Low cost 308 semi to hammer short range steel?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I'm interested in a sub-$1000 rifle in .308 used primarily for short range (100 - 300 yards) plinking of AR500 targets. Preferably something that is a decent shooter out of the box. I'm dissatisfied with the accuracy of my 7.62x39 Mini-30 which produces an inconsistent 2 to 4 MOA.

Doesn't need to be tactical...fun is good. What should I go look for out there?
confused.gif

Re: Low cost 308 semi to hammer short range steel?

I have a mid 90s Colt AR Hbar and could probably put an upper on that...?

Used springfield M1A or used DPMS LR 308.

Most of the sub $1000 rifles in .308 are battle rifles that will be in the 2-4 MOA range. M1As/M14s, FALs, G3/Cetmes, .308 Garands, etcs all run about that level of accuracy. Some of the cheaper AR-10s might get you better, but if shooting say 8-10" plates is your thing, any of the above should do just fine for fun. Also, you could take a look into the FN BAR variant for a semi-auto .308.

As a note, the ammo you shoot is very much the difference in accuracy. I've seen all of the above shoot well with good ammo, and shoot the 2-5 MOA standard with ball ammo. Whatever you pick, take a look into the Hornady steel match for a fun and decently accurate plinking .308 load.

I know you said sub-$1000 but i am going to do a shameless plug. Check this out, it will do everything you asked and then some and cant get cheaper than having a 308 piston that can do sub-MOA.
FNAR 308

There is a 24" threaded barrel DPMS in the For Sale section that I can guarantee you can ring steel to 1000 if you choose so and are capable. I know the seller, he is a great guy, smart and handsome to boot.

Wahoowad Its in Va too! headed into Lynchburg from the western edge tomorrow.

I bought a DPMS LR 308 Oracle at Cabelas for $1,099.00. It shot sub MOA out of the box with Hornady AMAX 168gr and TAP FPD 168gr at 100 yards. Have now shot 200 rds thru it with NO malfunctions of any type.

I wouldn't discount a 223 AR either. Lighter weight, cheaper to shoot, very accurate on steel out to 600. Only difference is if you're doing a steel shoot where you have to knock over targets then 30cal is a better choice.

To the OP, the set ups that Alpha and Hogtooth have are excellent rifles and prices, I would jump on either one of these....

IMO,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wahoowad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a mid 90s Colt AR Hbar and could probably put an upper on that...? </div></div>

And since nobody answered your other question, no.

There are no 308 repeater uppers that you can throw onto your old Colt AR-15 HBAR. The only one that works like that is Colts new 901 series.

You'll need to get a whole new rifle to get up to 308. There are non-repeater 308 AR15 uppers, but since 308 doesn't fit in the AR-15 magwell, it's a single shot.

Look for an FNAR.
They can be found for less than $1k, and are guaranteed by FNH to deliver 1 MOA or better right out of the box.

Joe

Yeah, your accuracy demand sorta excludes the Ruger XGI.

Oh, wait, that one never did come out... I would have bought one and started exploring accurization options. It *was* supposed to be quite affordable.

Fnar or winchester equiv. Accurate, few versions available. Were around 1000 or so, think now they are up to 13-1500 again.
Drawbacks are mags are 50+, little aftermarket support.
Or find a used m1a and cross your fingers..
I would suggest a rock river .308 ar but that will also be over 1000.

Good luck