• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes M-223 3-12x42SF Nikoplex on a VTR?

TheLegend

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
In Your Grass... Michigan, USA
Hey guys, I have a Remington 700VTR in .223REM with a 1:9 twist. I've heard that Nikon's M223 line was for ARs. Do any of you guys think there would be any hiccups running one on my bolt rifle? Nikon says the BDC is calibrated for a .55gr ballistic tip pill at 3,250fps. I run Hornady Vmax's that Hornady says run 3,240fps. Any thoughts or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Re: M-223 3-12x42SF Nikoplex on a VTR?

It depends on how you define "hiccup" really.
Nikon makes nice enough glass and from what I'm reading it sounds to me like you are putting together a varmint/target rifle. If that is the case I would say your going to be fine.

Just remember that, although the BDC is great for hunting, they are an approximation and will not always be 100% accurate 100% of the time .

Just dont get the one with the "rangeing" turret. Your dope will never match up. Same with the BDC reticle.
If you do get the one with the range calibrated reticle, your better off shooting out to 3 or 4 hundred yards and matching the range with the turret marking. That way you may be closer than zeroing at 100 yards, when you come back to 100 yards.

I hope that makes sence, maybe someone more skilled can explain it better.

Lee.

Get the one with the BDC recticle. That what I use on my slug gun. Its a good scope for the money

NJL, I have Nikon's M-223 3-12x42 with Rapid Action Turret on my Savage 112. I can tell you this set up will shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards.Some friends and I as well as 14 Internet writers have gone so far as to hit 4 in. jars of Tannerite at 600 yards by just dialing up the turrets. My Savage has a 26 in. bull barrel, nothing custom, plus it's 20 years old. Obviously this scope is cal and bullet specific. It is made for the shooter to use a 55 gr. polymer tipped bullet at 3240 fps.
While I have not Chronographed this set-up, I use the same scope on an AR with a 16 in barrel and have gone 10:10 on a 600 yard 10 in. steel target. Hard to argue with that kind of success.
If you use a BDC scope, I absolutely encourage you to go to Nikonhunting.com,
click on the SPot On logo, this will allow you to enter all your ballistic information, including your Nikon Scope and get the corresponding distances for each BDC circle. YOu can even print a field reference chart to get the distances for each circle at each magnification setting.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

Thank you all for your input. I'm leaning toward the Rapid Action Turret but, I've got a month or so until I get my return. I'd be open to any suggestions in the same price range as well.

Get the bushnell FFP 3-12. 5 mils per turn is more than enough for a 50grain 223 bullet. That way if/when you decide to use a different bullet you won't be beholden to a turret or a reticle designed for one bullet, at one velocity, at one altitude etc.