• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Henry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey is it possible, or even Legal to stamp U.S. above the serial #. Like an original?
I found a digit action </div></div>

If you look closely at the photos that George has posted directly above you can see my action, it is the one in the middle. It did not have the U.S. stamp when I sent it in, it is done by GA Precision when you request a spec build M40A1. The early 6 digit actions that went to the Marine Corps were marked this way, the later actions that were procured as replacements are reportedly without the U.S. stamp above the number. This is legal to do as it is in the end a replica rifle. </div></div>

You will also see my action, It's the top one. It's later "E" prefix. It does not get the U.S. stamp like the earlier 6 digit actions.

Long box from GAP arrived by UPS yesterday, mounted the scope last night....first photos.....
DSC_4883.jpg

DSC_4885.jpg

DSC_4889.jpg

Wilshire, that is an awesome rifle. Let us know how it shoots. Want to get mine done just looking for a barrel!! Congrats again on a great rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wilshire, that is an awesome rifle. Let us know how it shoots. Want to get mine done just looking for a barrel!! Congrats again on a great rifle. </div></div>

Give Gary Schneider a call ! Or I'm quite sure GAP can supply it. The barrel should not be a hold up, they can be had.

Im looking for a Hart barrel for my a1 and a Schneider to rebarrel my a3. I heard a rumor that Gary isnt selling to civilians right now because of his contract with the Marines. Im looking to get his USMC contract barrel. Does anyone know for sure if that is true or just a rumor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im looking for a Hart barrel for my a1 and a Schneider to rebarrel my a3. I heard a rumor that Gary isnt selling to civilians right now because of his contract with the Marines. Im looking to get his USMC contract barrel. Does anyone know for sure if that is true or just a rumor. </div></div>

I'll give Gary a call and find out what's going on. I do know you can only get them at certain times when he makes a few extras for us civvies.. Maybe the USMC didn't like him selling their barrel out to the public and told him to cut it? He made special tooling just to make the USMC barrels. I dunno, I'll find out.

That rumor you heard about Gary is not true and he was a little upset that somekind of bullshit like that was floating around the internet. They are available and he always makes extras. Give him a ring. 928-474-2852. He will have a website soon. That settles that!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long box from GAP arrived by UPS yesterday, mounted the scope last night....first photos.....
DSC_4883.jpg

DSC_4885.jpg

DSC_4889.jpg
</div></div>

Can't be real, no Duct Tape, no Foam Packing, no cheap spray paint
laugh.gif

JK. Nice stick!!!!!

Cheers,

Doc

WOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! That's just what I needed to hear!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That rumor you heard about Gary is not true and he was a little upset that somekind of bullshit like that was floating around the internet. They are available and he always makes extras. Give him a ring. 928-474-2852. He will have a website soon. That settles that!! </div></div>

Im glad to hear that Gary is still selling his contract barrels. Im sorry if I got him lil upset. One of the guys in our platoon was saying that. So I hope that it didnt get too far. I cant wait for him to get his site up. How much is he selling the contract barrel for?

An HS barrel would be nice since its going on a smear stock. But I have heard a lot of good things about Hart and I pretty much have it set that I will get one from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How much is he selling the contract barrel for?

But I have heard a lot of good things about Hart and I pretty much have it set that I will get one from them. </div></div>

I think mine was 335 shipped to my door. 315 plus shipping. You can't go wrong with a Hart but I would go Schneider on the A1 also. He rebarreled A1's so it's all good. Call Gary and get 2 !!

Just got off the phone with Mr. Schneider, a true gentleman & a pleasure to do business with! I had him put back a USMC contract barrel for me and he said he had about 6 more available as of today. Can't wait to get it! BTW - the pricing is $320 for the barrel + $16 shipping for a total of $336. He takes checks, money orders, or plastic (+2.6% I believe he said)....

That's the last piece I needed! Just need to get the barrel screwed on and have it rebedded. Will use GAP for that as they know these better than most by now! Pics to follow when completed! (early smear stock with a semi-period correct Redfield 3x9 Accurange Widefield w/tombstone reticle, Unertl or USO MST to follow when I win the lottery!!)

Semper Fi!!!

I have one of Garys M40 barrels .308 (rough OD you will like that) you will be very happy. Plus all those barrels are quench in pigs blood at no extra charge,what a deal, mine was signed to that effect.

Thanks 7! I spent some time this AM getting the scope boresighted, I don't think I have ever felt so anal about the crosshairs being straight before. I think the (my) eyes start to play more tricks on you in relation to the amount of money spent on the equipment. The USO base is a GTG piece of gear, I was worried that it might be a pain in the ass since the rings are fixed in place but so far it all appears good.

wilshire1412,
Your A1 turned out great, its got me wanting to build one on a woodland stock now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks 7! I spent some time this AM getting the scope boresighted, I don't think I have ever felt so anal about the crosshairs being straight before. I think the (my) eyes start to play more tricks on you in relation to the amount of money spent on the equipment. The USO base is a GTG piece of gear, I was worried that it might be a pain in the ass since the rings are fixed in place but so far it all appears good. </div></div>

Wishire,

Nice stick. Now USO needs to build some more mounts so I can finish my return stock.

BTW, I talked to Gary yesterday, he has some more M40 barrels, one is heading to ATX.

Received my barrel from Gary the other day and it is awesome! Going to have whichever smith I decide to use on this to cut me a die out of a piece of the barrel so the same reamer used to cut the chamber will also be used to make the die...

Now that I have the stock, bottom metal, modified box mag, notched trigger, a M700P donor barreled action, and the new barrel as well as a Redfield 3x9 w/tombstone reticle I just need to decide who I want to screw it all together!

Just need the barrel chambered and everything trued up & bedded.... Any of our good smiths care to provide a quote on the work (including the custom die!)??? Thanks!

After reading through this I am still a bit confused as to the correct bottom metal needed for a "as close to spec as I can get" build. I am putting the rifle together on a new McMillan stock so I don't have the bottom metal a return stock would. I am not sure what trigger guard / floorplate to have the stock inletted for. Should I order Winchester model 70 bottom metal for a long action to be modified by the builder - if so what do you tell McMillan - or get Williams 1 piece bottom metal?

If your looking for "as close to spec as I can get" then I would get the Winchester M70 bottom metal. Im just one of those that "has" to use the parts that the Corps. I am in the process of cutting the bottom metal from the M70 for a spec M40a1 build. But its what you can afford and have the time to do. Just my 2 cents.

Think that most here who went that route, went with the Williams & had it fitted by their smith.... Lucky enough to have BM for mine, not the right SN, but fits like a glove! I believe GAP may still have some original BM's available for spec builds done by them.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long box from GAP arrived by UPS yesterday, mounted the scope last night....first photos.....
DSC_4883.jpg

DSC_4885.jpg

DSC_4889.jpg
</div></div>

One day, I will have one of these, that is when life stops getting in the way...LOL

Very nice!!!!

I see a lot of builds now that have the woodland stock. They look great. Does anyone knows when the Marine Corps started using these stocks on the rifles? Just a thought. Thanks.

Anyone remember what was the recommended solvent is to use for getting the paint off the return stocks?? I am in the mood to clean my old return off and see what the smear patter is like underneath the paint on it. I couldn't find the old thread that mentioned how to clean off the paint without harming the gelcoat. It was either mineral spirits or paint thinner as I recall. Thanks.

MEK was recommended to me and it worked quite well....

DO NOT use MEK on the older smear pattern return stocks. MEK is too harsh on the gelcoat and will dry it out, making it too brittle. Laquer thinner and elbow grease is the best route on the smears.

Ok.....and I was just about to get off my ass to head down to Ace Hardware for some MEK too.. Thanks. Laquer thinner then it is.

I had never heard that about MEK harming the smear stocks, so my apologies for the suggestion. It did no harm to the woodland that I had, and I didn't know that they evidently changed the gel coat formulas between the two "models".

Bill

Got most of it off with the laquer thinner. Will try to post some before and after pics later. I'm hoping to drop in a .22 rimfire 40X into mine. I know I will have to fit the bottom metal in, but at least I will get to use the stock.
1.JPG

right.JPG

sm2.jpg

I tried test dropping the 40X into the stock and the recoil lug on the 40X is too thick to fit into the existing bedding.....so much for a quick easy swap. I will add a pic of the stripped smear tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long-shot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

I cleaned my woodland camo return stock using MEK with no ill-effects.

jeff </div></div>

Yep. It wiped off dry, and left a nice clean, non-sticky semi-gloss finish on mine, so I don't think it pulled any finish/color off or soaked into the surface/resin. But those were Woodlands, and I have no experience with a Smear?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi there!
This is chescka from Italy!

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the "7.62 NATO". I was at GAP a couple of weeks ago, and handled George's rifle when he was scuba diving. It didn't have the 7.62 NATO stamp. I've also been told that the M40a1's all had BDL mag boxes tacked in place on all of them. I'm veryifing this information so bare with me.

Thank's!...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sheldon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried test dropping the 40X into the stock and the recoil lug on the 40X is too thick to fit into the existing bedding.....so much for a quick easy swap. I will add a pic of the stripped smear tomorrow. </div></div>

More than likely your recoil isn't too thick it just hasn't been been tapered (so too wide).

Used a ball end on a dremel and ran it down the sides to get it to fit. Didn't want to attempt the tapering of the lug. long-shot has it right.

The threaded insert has pulled out on this stock. What would be the correct way to replace the insert? What thread and what is used to bond it back in place?
smdamage.JPG

That would be too much work for me to handle. The threads are the same as the outlet screw (not sure what they are). Give a call to McMillan and see if they may be able to help you out. If not, call one of the reputable 'smiths and see if they might take it on.
Chad

Hey Dudes,

Where can I get an MST-100 scope these days? Used market only?

Thanks,

B

ps: I have a GAP M40A1 spec build just sitting in the safe waiting for the "correct" scope.

They are all sold from USO, but I was told that some gunsmiths bought a number of them. Maybe you can find out who they were.

Hello all,

I have googled and googled and had little luck. Does anyone know if the USMC drawings/blueprints for any of the M40 series rifles have made it onto the net?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben