• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M40a1 build guide

Re: M40a1 build guide

Ray,

That would be great! My email is [email protected]

I am also looking for the specs around what is done to the M70 bottom metal for the M40a1. I can see what needs to be done to the trigger, but have not seen the "modifications" needed for the bottom metal.

Many thanks,

Ben

No worries, I diod not think they would be too hard. Many thanks in advance for sending the clip slotting stuff, I will be sure to post a pic of the final product.

Ben

<span style="font-weight: bold">Awesome thread </span>

How is the water? I am jumping in.

I sent funds out today for a smear return stock with matching number bottom metal. I know realize that my hopes of a M40A1 clone are getting closer but the endeavor has just begun.

I have a 1989 Rem PSS .308 (old trigger) with that came with a 24-inch barrel and has a parkerized finish. I want to use this rifle for my M40A1 clone build.

I have sourced a local smith to do the barreled action work.
The rifle has an older Redfield base (R in a crosshair) and older Redfield bases (medium, I think).

<span style="font-weight: bold">How hard is it going to be to get my PSS into this stock?</span> Are there any special "tricks" that need to be considered so I do not make any mistakes starting out?

I may consider having the barreled action finished in black for looks but that may not happen at first.

<span style="font-style: italic">**Edit I am not out to build a full spec at this time. </span>

Get back in the boat !! For me it is too late. I am going broke with these dam things. I think that GAP has the best rep on these builds you just need to supply them some of the parts. Spend the time and get it correct.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="font-style: italic">**Edit I am not out to build a full spec at this time. </span> </div></div>

You'll wish you had - the stock "deserves" it. There is no time like the present and parts are getting harder to come by.

I believe the PSS should bolt right in and use your M40A1 modified M70 bottom metal.

Cheers,

Bill

<span style="font-weight: bold">Terryg</span> it is too late... I am in head first LOL

Thanks <span style="font-weight: bold">WRM</span> I want to get the rifle shooting in the stock and then collect more "correct" parts over time.

I may give GAP a call and see what they can do for me parts or build wise.

Question:
For now, I do not want to weld the BDL box to the receiver. I should be able to use an ADL mag box screwed to my action, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:
For now, I do not want to weld the BDL box to the receiver. I should be able to use an ADL mag box screwed to my action, correct?
</div></div>

Though not 100% sure, I think that would work. Front TG screw doesn't go into the action, just the stock.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. I think TerryG meant for you to get back into the "full-spec" boat....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question:
</div></div>

Though not 100% sure, I think that would work. Front TG screw doesn't go into the action, just the stock.

Cheers,

Bill

P.S. I think TerryG meant for you to get back into the "full-spec" boat.... </div></div>

I will keep one foot in the "full spec" boat then.

Here is the ADL screw that I reference about above.
SOF%204.jpg

I would like to use the ADL screw box if possible... until I can get the rifle to GAP or the like. I will have the BDL box welded when I replace the barrel and get the barreld action refinished.

ADL box is longer than the BDL boxes. You will need to grind down the bottom of the box until it is the same length as the BDL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ADL box is longer than the BDL boxes. You will need to grind down the bottom of the box until it is the same length as the BDL.
</div></div>

Thanks for the heads up Chad3 ... will I have to drill a hole for the screw that goes in the action or is there one already there. I will take the PSS out of the HS stock when I get home and take a look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ADL box is longer than the BDL boxes. You will need to grind down the bottom of the box until it is the same length as the BDL.
</div></div>

While the ADL box is longer than the BDL I put 2 together using an unmodified ADL box and screw as I would never have the money for a full spec build and didn't want/care to weld to my receiver in case I changed something down the road with mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I believe the PSS should bolt right in and use your M40A1 modified M70 bottom metal.

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

Not correct. The trigger will need to get machined to drop into the A1 stock. Check the beginning of this thread. There is a picture or two of it..

The hole for the ADL box is already there. You will need to order both the box and the screw.
Also you will have to dremel out the bedding in the lug area as most will not fit down into that area. Check but I think you will find I'm correct with that.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

Not correct. The trigger will need to get machined to drop into the A1 stock. Check the beginning of this thread. There is a picture or two of it..
</div></div>

Appreciate the correction - I forgot about that. He would have found out
wink.gif
?...

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The hole for the ADL box is already there. You will need to order both the box and the screw.
Also you will have to dremel out the bedding in the lug area as most will not fit down into that area. Check but I think you will find I'm correct with that.
Chad
</div></div>

Thanks again Chad3

I ordered the ADL box and factory screw from midway yesterday. My C prefix action does have the screw already there ...so I was pleased to see that that.

I am going to let the smith that beds the stock address the lug area. I dont feel comfortable doing that on my own... even though I do enjoy the sound of the dremel LOL

I'm running the ADL box and screw on my 40 and it feeds flawless,I did have to trim down the box with my planer and trim the trigger with a Dremel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running the ADL box and screw on my 40 and it feeds flawless,I did have to trim down the box with my planer and trim the trigger with a Dremel. </div></div>

Thanks

How much would you say that you have to remove off of the ADL box?

How did you address the recoil lug issue? The lug on my PSS is huge and there is no way that it will fit the lug area of the stock. Is it best to grind the lug or just remove material from the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pinmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running the ADL box and screw on my 40 and it feeds flawless,I did have to trim down the box with my planer and trim the trigger with a Dremel. </div></div>

Thanks

How much would you say that you have to remove off of the ADL box?

How did you address the recoil lug issue? The lug on my PSS is huge and there is no way that it will fit the lug area of the stock. Is it best to grind the lug or just remove material from the stock. </div></div>

I took a BDL box and mesured it then removed what metal I need off the ADL.It did'nt take to long to remove the extra metal with the planer.

I have a larger barrel lug myself and hogged out the bedding for mine to fit then rebedded the stock.

I have a recoil lug question. Did they use the factory recoil lug and have it tapered, or did they replace it with a tapered lug. If they replaced it, what thickness was it?

Dave

Tapered the original lug. 2 degree taper.

Does anyone have a picture of the 2 degree taper on the recoil lug.

Anyone doing any wooden stock M40 builds?

Certified return stocks sure have a heritage, but the wooden jobs are very authentic back in the day also. Saw one of the Remington repro USMC commemoratives go for $1500+ on gunbroker the other day.... Wow! That is some marketing.

I'm new too this forum and just saw your nicname.......NFO. Doesn't that stand for Non Functional Orafice/Officer?

OK, a few more questions if anyone is still following:

1. What is the stainless barrel coated with? Is all the rest of the metal treated in black oxide?

2. If you need to trim the ADL box down to same size as BDL, why not just use a BDL box??

Thanks!

Dave

Entire rifle is black oxide. BDL box needs to be welded to the receiver if you want to use it. If not it will fall out the BM if you open and it is loose.
Chad

Nope, it doesn't take very well. However that is what is used on them. If you look at some, the barrels are almost a light gray.
This is the reason, maybe you can see in the picture. Hope they help.
99.jpg

106.jpg

104.jpg

Chad

I personally saw them being used at a Airshow at quantico back around 1978.
My dad was stationed there, I was about 14 yrs old. They had snipers there in their ghillie suits. It made a big impression on me. At that time they were still using the redfield scope. I also saw them at weapons training battalion. Me and my brothers used to pull targets in the butts. We used to watch the snipers shoot them also. It was a fun childhood! I own one now.

Not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread. So - I have a smear stock and 6 digit receiver and USO mount, USO MST and the win bottom metal. I have scheduled the build with GAP. Can anyone clearly identify the size and style of the "U.S." stamping over the SN?

I can measure mine if you want. however, if you are sending the project to GAP... they will get it right for sure.

Congrats on the project... Mine is done other than I have yet to find a MST-100 :O(

Please do. I'm getting mixed messages from GAP - initially they said they would not mark the receiver - then they said they would but couldn't guarantee the centering over the s/n. So I was going to explore another option before sending them the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ballcane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please do. I'm getting mixed messages from GAP - initially they said they would not mark the receiver - then they said they would but couldn't guarantee the centering over the s/n. So I was going to explore another option before sending them the receiver. </div></div>

Just send it to them...They are one of the best when it comes to M40's ! Do you actually think the USMC took the time to make sure the U.S. was dead center over the serial #.. Highly unlikely... I'm sure the U.S. varies in it's specific location from rifle to rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, it doesn't take very well. However that is what is used on them. If you look at some, the barrels are almost a light gray.
This is the reason, maybe you can see in the picture. Hope they help.
99.jpg

106.jpg

104.jpg

Chad </div></div>

no offense but that looks like flat black paint...lol

"U.S." stamp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you actually think the USMC took the time to make sure the U.S. was dead center over the serial #.. Highly unlikely... I'm sure the U.S. varies in it's specific location from rifle to rifle... </div></div>

The "U.S." was roll stamped at the Remington factory. They are all the same size and in the same spot.

Dave P

Re: "U.S." stamp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
no offense but that looks like flat black paint...lol</div></div>

None taken and nope, its black oxide.
Chad

Re: "U.S." stamp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave4201</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcm308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you actually think the USMC took the time to make sure the U.S. was dead center over the serial #.. Highly unlikely... I'm sure the U.S. varies in it's specific location from rifle to rifle... </div></div>

The "U.S." was roll stamped at the Remington factory. They are all the same size and in the same spot.

Dave P </div></div>

Yes, Thanks for the correction.
smile.gif

A++ Thread.

Have scope will travel! i am interested in a 40A1 build and would like some help on starting the project. I have the USMC 10X Unertl. Is my next step locating a stock?

Does GAP, or Badger Ordnance, or USO make the correct style Unertl base anymore? One could of course go the early route with old Redfield base with either Redfield accurange or Unertl 10X mounted. Unertl base would be preferable though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, that doesn't seem like the standard crown?? </div></div>

I second that, what was the basis for that crown?
Is that the new M40A3 type crown or were multiple crown styles used on M40A1s.
</div></div>

Update, thanks Chad for the clarification of A1 build specs and I apologize for questioning your build.
Great Rifle!

Was shown pictures that there were many different crowns used. Only spec was a taper to protect the muzzle. There was no spec to a certain taper.

USO has made the bases, I spoke with Jeff a few months ago and a batch was partially built and spoken for.. I do not know if there are any still available. A quick call can answer that question..

merlinn