• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mack Bro’s SS Evo

I should be able to pick mine up next week after a screw up with the ffl I'm using. I want to use the super 700 trigger and a KRG X-ray so I will let everyone know of fitment issues.

Last edited:
Just picked mine up today. It is 90. Great action. Very well machined. Unbelievable for the price.

I've never dealt with a tempest or any other GA rifle but I've seen people speak highly of them. I don't have any custom actions to compare it to so I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of it compared to other custom actions.

GAP switched shops for the Tempest, last I knew Horizon Machine did it for them?
FYI - Mack brothers is Horizon Machine.
1595046025622.png

I was impatiently waiting for these since shot, but I also jumped on the ARC 4th of July deal. Timing was bad, but looking forward to some reviews.

Mack Brothers is right next door to LRI. My plan was to ask them to have LRI measure the action before shipping to allow for shouldered pre fit by LRI.
Might be worth considering?

If LRI can do them then I'd say it's definitely worth considering. About the only thing stopping me is no Long action Lefty yet... Would make a great option for a multical setup I think

@LongRifles Inc.
Chad, its seems like a Golden Opportunity for you to offer barreled actions in a small variety of chamberings, as it would increase the probability of getting the order for a pre-fit barrel since you’d have a set of measurements for each barreled action that you sold.
Since the Remage style barrels require additional clearance for the front of the bolt lugs, that limits the “off the shelf” options. But, you’d have that built into the CNC program and it’s just selecting the correct program on the machining center.

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
Well I pick up my receiver today and for the price this is definitely a better option to me then buying a trued Remington 700 now I just need to choose between either a 7mm-08 or a 308.

Reactions: FrozenMinnesotan
Thought some of you may want this tenon print. Can’t wait to get mine in hand!!

Attachments

• EVO Instructions with Tenon.pdf
    515.2 KB · Views: 322
So far so good on mine, I may look into the trigger pack shims or something, my TT special has teeny tiny side play in it. Other than that it seems great, went together as predicted. Took .015"off the barrel after careful measuring and headspaced.

Not sure how hard it should be to "stall" the action, but I am doing a bit of dry fire and then I'll clean it real well and lube the lugs before I pass any judgement on the "action" of the bolt.

2 big things I noticed right away is that the FP seems to hit HARD and the extraction and ejection is VERY positive

Last edited:
Just received mine. First thoughts. The quality of the machining is superb. It has a matte finish on the receiver not sure if its bead blasted or coating. Dull grey in appearance. The lug is machined with flats on one side and it locks with the receiver. The bolt is coated black. It is a small firing pin which is a plus for SRP cartridges. It has a swept handle that is not welded but machined as one piece with the bolt. Primary extraction is very positive and as mentioned before the firing pin fall is hard. Not sure what firing spring weight they used but you can feel the weight when cocking(not too heavy). Not a bad thing but worth mentioning. The firing system is a bayonet style and comes apart very easily without tools. The trigger hanger uses one small hex screw on the rear and was very easy to install also. Not sure if Mack Bros offers different hangers to tune different triggers. IMO the action is very well machined and the features it comes with compared to higher end actions is a bargain. The action does bind when trying to manipulate it fast. Hopefully when it is well broken in it'll bind less. I plan to have this action DLC'd to see if it will run smoother.

Any issues yet? Thinking of ordering one for a 308 build I am planning! Is everyone just ordering stocks with a standard rem 700 inlet? Manners doesn’t have the option for Mack bro’s.

Mine dropped right in a krg bravo, no problem. Seems to fit perfect oversize lug and all

I’m wanting to bed it into a manners folding stock, so wondering which inlet is going to be the best fit for it

I'm semi-local [So. Black Hils resident], so I swung by the Mack Bros' shop last Friday and picked up my Evo SS action in-person; Dale Mack was kind enough to process my transfer paperwork [and didn't even give me a hard time about checking the "non-binary" gender box :oops:]. I was going to ask for a tour of the shop, since the Banish30 suppressor, made by MacBros, and sold by Silencer Central just showed up the week before, but I could tell Dale was ready to get back to work. These guys make quality products for name brands you don't realize.

I wonder if they machine actions for the higher end custom names and what the mark up comes out to be.

It’s a Remington 700 footprint^^^

Attachments

• 2C5E65E1-41F2-4480-8002-569731A05E2E.jpeg
    2C5E65E1-41F2-4480-8002-569731A05E2E.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 9637A214-6212-4DB2-A723-1228664A464C.jpeg
    9637A214-6212-4DB2-A723-1228664A464C.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 39D0977A-C5BB-440A-B993-B0E9BAB0C27B.jpeg
    39D0977A-C5BB-440A-B993-B0E9BAB0C27B.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 289
Just received mine. First thoughts. The quality of the machining is superb. It has a matte finish on the receiver not sure if its bead blasted or coating. Dull grey in appearance. The lug is machined with flats on one side and it locks with the receiver. The bolt is coated black. It is a small firing pin which is a plus for SRP cartridges. It has a swept handle that is not welded but machined as one piece with the bolt. Primary extraction is very positive and as mentioned before the firing pin fall is hard. Not sure what firing spring weight they used but you can feel the weight when cocking(not too heavy). Not a bad thing but worth mentioning. The firing system is a bayonet style and comes apart very easily without tools. The trigger hanger uses one small hex screw on the rear and was very easy to install also. Not sure if Mack Bros offers different hangers to tune different triggers. IMO the action is very well machined and the features it comes with compared to higher end actions is a bargain. The action does bind when trying to manipulate it fast. Hopefully when it is well broken in it'll bind less. I plan to have this action DLC'd to see if it will run smoother.

When I spoke to them at SHOT earlier this year they made it sound like they would have different hangers to time the action.

Reactions: TEUFEL820
I back ordered an action mid-July and received it the end of July. I used the action to replace a factory Rem 700 with a Criterion barrel. I did have to remove .010” off the barrel end to headspace the chamber. I‘m using a first generation XLR Element chassis and had to cut a slot in front of the rear action screw to allow clearance for the trigger hanger attaching screw.

The finish on the action is nice and it functions well. The combination action/barrel is very accurate. The action does not feel as smooth as my Kelbly Atlas, however I’m certain it will improve once it’s been cycled more.

Overall I think it’s a great action, particularly for the price. I will probably buy another.

Here’s my rifle with Mack Brothers action that replaced a factory Rem 700 action. Criterion 26” MTU profile SS barrel with Remage nut, Timney trigger with straight blade, first gen XLR Element chassis and universal Area 419 Arca Swiss rail.

I like the rifle and am planning on getting another Mack Brothers action and Criterion barrel to set up for 6 Creedmoor. The only thing I did not care for with the action was the bolt knob that came with it, so I replaced with a longer one.

I really like the trigger hanger, however I did have to drill the chassis to allow clearance for the attaching screw.

Attachments

• DF697470-6081-4620-8E9E-B66985C429D7.jpeg
    DF697470-6081-4620-8E9E-B66985C429D7.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 2025F230-AD56-4701-ACEF-39F27A158DE8.jpeg
    2025F230-AD56-4701-ACEF-39F27A158DE8.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 408
  • 7314D543-BA25-4A13-8128-5FB134B8E934.jpeg
    7314D543-BA25-4A13-8128-5FB134B8E934.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 376
I back ordered an action mid-July and received it the end of July. I used the action to replace a factory Rem 700 with a Criterion barrel. I did have to remove .010” off the barrel end to headspace the chamber. I‘m using a first generation XLR Element chassis and had to cut a slot in front of the rear action screw to allow clearance for the trigger hanger attaching screw.

The finish on the action is nice and it functions well. The combination action/barrel is very accurate. The action does not feel as smooth as my Kelbly Atlas, however I’m certain it will improve once it’s been cycled more.

Overall I think it’s a great action, particularly for the price. I will probably buy another.

How'd you go about trimming the .01"? Yourself? On a lathe? Did you send it out? I'm tempted to put a 6.5 prc together on this action, but the trimming bit has me questioning whether or not to pull the trigger.

Reactions: Mechdesigner
This Action is a stellar deal. Very smooth bolt and the primary extraction is excellent. Had this one built out as a 6.5 PRC with a Proof competition contour barrel. Dropped into the grayboe with minor inletting for the trigger hanger. Still need to open up the ejection port area as soon as i get touch up paint for it.
0C91A08B-9A7B-402C-9A32-88789FD29326.jpeg
33D46D20-B554-48B3-ACC0-BFF7F482BEC4.jpeg
61C0B10D-9342-4E5F-BAD6-774C86CDFDA3.jpeg

A nitride finish will help it more than DLC

What you call "nitride finish" isn't a finish. It's a case hardening heat treatment.

Nitriding isn't meant to
  • Make actions slicker
  • Make them black
  • Make them more corrosion resistant
Even though all of the above are ince side effects, the purpose of nitriding is to turn the first .010" - .040" down from the surface of the steel very hard (Rockwell C scale 50 and up) and leave the prior achieved material properties untouched beyond.

No one but the OEM who designed and manufactured a product (or its designated contractor) should be sending it off to get any kind of heat treatment. Certainly not end users who have no earthly clue what they're doing.

Reactions: rodney747
I know from personal experience that case hardening can really screw up a part if not done right. A lot of wrapped parts. I never had to have anything nitrided yet.

Has anybody asked about .223 bolt faces???

I’ve emailed them and sent them messages on Instagram and get no response.

Reactions: Mechdesigner