• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan A4 stock fit a Remmington 700PSS?

earthquake

Area Man
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I have an IBA TPR which is built on the 700PSS platform and tweaked some.

Link: http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/08_iba_weaponsys_tacticalprecision.shtml

The HS stock that comes with it does not fit my hand very well, and its non-adjustable. I wanted to upgrade to the McMillan A3 - A5 style stocks with the verticle hand grip and to have some adjustability. However, a couple years ago when I called IBA about it, they said those stocks would not work/fit on my rifle due to some reason that has now escaped my mind.

Anybody have some info related to this problem, or know what they were referring to? Also, what stocks similar, if the Mc's won't work, could I look into that would fit my rig?

Thanks!

Re: McMillan A5 stock fit a Remmington 700PSS?

McMillan's will work just fine. Make sure of the bottom metal, thats about it. Sounds like whoever you talked to, didn't know what they were talking about.

McMillan can inlet for almost any type of rifle. The Remington 700 is the most popular of those choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McMillan's will work just fine. Make sure of the bottom metal, thats about it. Sounds like whoever you talked to, didn't know what they were talking about. </div></div>

+1

The whole idea behind a custom stock is that it is custom fit to whatever you want. Someone was smoking some good shit.

Didn't know Marion Barry was working at IBA.......
    marion_barry_smoking_crack.gif

O.K., that's great news! So, I've decided to get an A4...I just like the look/feel/size/weight of the A4. Anyway, should I buy direct from McMillan, or are there other/better places out there that I don't know of to order an A4 stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't know Marion Barry was working at IBA.......
    marion_barry_smoking_crack.gif
    </div></div>

+1

Buy from JW Precision. He's a Hide vendor and a good guy to deal with. Just checked his website and it looks like he's got the USMC Spec A4's in stock:
    JW Precision

What's the "USMC Spec" version of the A4? How's it different from a standard (if there is such a thing) A4? I've seen these things priced from ~$450 - $760. Thanks.

The spec version is exacly that.It is built to the same specs as the current U.S.M.C m40-a3 and m40 a5 rifles.

Saddle cheek peice.Inletted for the badger m5 dbm etc.....

Another vote to order from JW Precision.

Ah, I see, thanks. I'm wondering then if a USMC Spec version would even work on my rifle. I don't have a badger m5 dbm...just figured out what that is (thanks google!). I just have a REM 700PSS.

It will work you'll just have to buy the Badger DBM. I just ordered a USMC Spec A4 from JW Precision a few months ago and It was perfect, I have the SPS varmint rifle in .308. I received the stock a few days after order and it is perfect. No wait time whatsoever. Good Luck. I vote for JW Precision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy from JW Precision. He's a Hide vendor and a good guy to deal with.</div></div>

Just ordered my A4 from John at JW Precision! Thanks for the recommendation. He was/is very helpful and answered my million questions before I ordered. I'm very confident in the purchase!

To be fair to IBA, after reading and learning more about this stuff, I think the problem was that the stocks they carry were inletted and contoured for their Super Grade (The Chandler) rifles only, and so wouldn't fit my rifle. They're a great bunch of people!

COfox, mind posting a few pics once you get your A4? Looking into something similar, I just recently got my hands on a Rem 700 .308 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COfox, mind posting a few pics once you get your A4? Looking into something similar, I just recently got my hands on a Rem 700 .308 5R. </div></div>

I sure will. Here's a link I found here on the Hide elsewhere, that shows basically the exact thing I'm doing:

http://www.gad.net/Shooting/LevelHead/PSS/Page2.html

He put an A4 on a Rem 700PSS too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">COfox, mind posting a few pics once you get your A4? Looking into something similar, I just recently got my hands on a Rem 700 .308 5R. </div></div>

If you look in the a4 pic thread theres at least one 5r in an a4.Or hell for that matter just send 7mmRM a pm he's got a shit load of em!

Re: McMillan A4 stock fit a Remmington 700PSS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The HS stock that comes with it does not fit my hand very well, and its non-adjustable. I wanted to upgrade to the McMillan A3 - A5 style stocks with the verticle hand grip and to have some adjustability.</div></div>

Remember that you can simply get an adjustable cheekpiece from Karsten or some other vendors for $60.00. I'm not sure what an adjustable spacer system costs, or if that's something you were looking for. I think it's another $120.00 on a McMillan.

I think McMillan can inlet your rifle for the barrel channel (I think that's the problem they were referring too). Maybe at an extra charge, but it's probably free since most people run heavy barrels on tactical rifles from what I've seen. Besides that, a 700 action inlet is a 700 action inlet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you look in the a4 pic thread...</div></div>

Where is that thread? I saw it once, but for the life of me, I can't find it anymore even with the search function!