• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mexican Mauser M1910 Build

BrianNV

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2007
Minden, Nevada
My name is Brian, I haven't posted in a while so I figured I would put this up. Started reloading at 18 in 1997, haven't looked back since. I went to Lassen Community College in Susanville, Ca. While there I took a couple of the gunsmithing classes for something other to do then homework. That is where I was bitten by the gunsmithing bug, although I couldn't afford to actually do it. My brother and I however did manage to scrape together enough money to buy a few Mexican Mausers. Several M1910, and one M1936. The M36 was turned into a 22-250, and before people start preaching about it being a small ring typical of a M96, you are wrong. It is a small ring Mauser, but of a M98 pattern.

One of the M1910 Mausers was mine, and I refinished it in class, reblued it, etc. The instructors inspected it, and gave it a blessing of good health. So after it sitting in my drawer or a box for the last dozen years or so I decided to start working on it. Four or so years ago I was out in Kentucky helping out with a family medical issue. My brother-in-law has a tree removal company. Long story short, we cut down a black walnut tree in Lexington, Ky.

Here is a blank from that tree.
blackwalnutblank.jpg

A little more information you might need to know about me. My grandfather was the Stock making instructor at Lassen CC's School of Gunsmithing in the late 50's and early 60's. Everything I know of stock making comes from him.

I traced out a suitable stock blank and roughed it out with bandsaws, skill saws and handsaws. I then started the laborious process of hand inletting the action into the stock blank.
inlettingstart.jpg

Halfway done.
inlettingmid.jpg

Done
inlettingcomplete.jpg

I then decided I should glass bed the entire action to the stock.
actionbedded.jpg

While waiting on the epoxy to set, I got bored and made a couple of things.
Custom Knife handle for a friend.
customknifehandle.jpg

45 grips for myself.
45grips.jpg

At this point I started on the forend.
Epoxy setting the Ebony Spacer.
ebonytip.jpg

Plained down the forend after I Epoxy set in a piece of Manzanita Burl that my brother and I cured in 1994. Sorry, forgot to take a picture of the burl being set. It is pinned with hardwood dowels to prevent it from snapping off. Also discovered that Ebony is rather fragile. Oops.
forendtip.jpg

Shot of the forend tip with one side semi-sanded down and dampened to show its colors.
forendtip2.jpg

Re: Mexican Mauser M1910 Build

A final picture of the forend shaped, I will round off the end of it once I get a barrel installed.
forendtip3.jpg

Now that the forend is more or less completed, I moved on to the rest of the rifle. I patterned the entire stock off of a pre-64 M70 stock, as I really enjoy the classic straight lines of it. Here I am starting to shape the wrist of the stock.
shapingwrist.jpg

Meanwhile,
dogandkidlookout.jpg

my dog and 17 month old son keeping a look out for black birds on the lawn and quail across the street.

I epoxy set, and pinned another piece of ebony to form a grip cap, sorry again no picture. However, after many hours of shapping with files and chisels, this is what I have managed to put together. There is no trigger, as I haven't cut out the slot for one yet. Waiting for the money to purchase a Timney Sportsman trigger for the project.
likearifle.jpg

likearifle2.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed. I plan on chambering the rifle in 7mm Mauser AI. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrianNV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is odd, those last few links didn't work out. Just click on them. </div></div>

You can only show ten pictures per post. Just start a second post below your first and they will show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrianNV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is odd, those last few links didn't work out. Just click on them. </div></div>

You can only show ten pictures per post. Just start a second post below your first and they will show up.</div></div>

Thank you!

Very nice to see a well built wood stock for a change.