• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Misadventures in Amateur Gunsmithery: 22LR 1903a4 tribute

molonlave

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Colorado
20230507_193701.jpg

I came across a drill rifle barreled action a few years back. After some research, I learned that returning it into a functional 30-06 was ill-advised due to the welding performed on the barrel/action to make it a drill rifle. Thus, I present the 22LR tribute to the venerable 1903a4.

I relined the original barrel with a Redman liner after fitting a chamber reducer to take up the space of the 30-06 chamber. Used a reproduction stock set, along with a mix of original and repro parts.

Yes, I have! It's a blast

Biggest challenge was figuring out a good way to single load it. I found loading was challenging due to the lack of a magazine follower . Sometimes I would drop the round into the abyss of the triggerguard. Most of the extracted brass would also end up falling into the magazine box space. At first I thought, how cool, a built-in brass catcher. But, that lost it's charm pretty fast.

Impressive work On that loading ramp nice project definitely way beyond my skill level

Any chance to source the bottom metal and magazine from a 1922 to make it feed from a magazine, or are there dimensional differences? I have an M1, but no ‘03 to compare it to.

Any chance to source the bottom metal and magazine from a 1922 to make it feed from a magazine, or are there dimensional differences? I have an M1, but no ‘03 to compare it to.
Yes, I believe an M1922 magazine and triggerguard assembly should work. It's a little pricey at over $200 for the magazine alone plus the dedicated triggerguard. I tinkered with the idea of rigging up a system to use different .22lr magazine. I may do that at some point.

Reactions: camocorvette
View attachment 8136733View attachment 8136734

Came up with this loading sled. I learned quickly that in order for the round to feed and for the bolt to function, the ramp would have to articulate.

View attachment 8136736View attachment 8136737View attachment 8136738

Here's a view of it in place from the triggerguard
View attachment 8136741
You need to keep your eyes open for one of these. It is the bottom metal from one of the Numrich .22lr conversion for a 1903. They use H&R Reising mags for the model 65 and MC-58 rifles.
IMG_1708 (2).JPG

IMG_1709 (2).JPG

IMG_1710 (2).JPG

IMG_1711 (2).JPG

You need to keep your eyes open for one of these. It is the bottom metal from one of the Numrich .22lr conversion for a 1903. They use H&R Reising mags for the model 65 and MC-58 rifles.
View attachment 8137450
View attachment 8137451
View attachment 8137452
View attachment 8137453
Good Lord. As a retired welder the weld in the bottom picture makes my eyes hurt. The one in the second isn't too bad from the angle shown. Considering their use they were OK though.

Now all you need is a good reactive WWII training target:

41Th3PuWUIL._AC_.jpg

If that's not enough to play with then there are some fun targets in the attachment.

Attachments

• WW2 German Sniper Training Targets.pdf
    863.3 KB · Views: 24
Stamped 03 trigger guards are reasonable priced.

You appear to be a dude with skills and imagination.

Get a few stamped trigger guards and figure yourself a way to fit a 10-22 rotary.

That would be the shizzle but probably to wide for the guard space.

Better to find most readily available box mag.

Reactions: molonlave