• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOH recipient LCpl Kyle Carpenter, USMC (Ret.) on Afghanistan

natdscott

Experienced Beginner
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
He earned the right to speak on these matters, and does so eloquently. You should use some of your day to listen closely enough not to forget what he took the time to say:

Thank you for that.

He’s once again a true hero in my eyes. I’m ashamed to admit that as a grown man, and 28-year veteran I was pretty childish in my anger about how this last week has gone; and went to a pretty dark place at one point pondering the sacrifices of so many, including a close friend killed by a suicide bomber in the middle of a shura, and another by the same while just having lunch … in a hotel of all places … just before getting on a flight to come home.

Kyle’s thoughts and simply speaking of the hope we brought, even if for only 20 years literally lifted me up.

So again, my thanks to you for posting this, and of course to him for having the maturity and wisdom to speak those words so very well. We need more like him in our lives.

Great listening to him, a voice of wisdom and understanding.

Thank you for posting, LCpl Kyle Carpenter's explanation of was it worth it made me understand his sacrifice and many others in a different light . Kyle is a Patriot,True Warrior and a special human being to say the least.

Thank you for posting, LCpl Kyle Carpenter's explanation of was it worth it made me understand his sacrifice and many others in a different light . Kyle is a Patriot,True Warrior and a special human being to say the least.
Thats the part that touched me. We gave a drowning man a breath of air, a starving man a bite of food. Lets hope it was a seed planted that will grow into something beautiful.

Thats the part that touched me. We gave a drowning man a breath of air, a starving man a bite of food. Lets hope it was a seed planted that will grow into something beautiful.

…and at the same time, here, now, Kyle may have given other men and women, in the service or recently discharged, a breath of air.

Pass this along to your buddies that served, and their families. They might be fine, or they might just look fine. A word of encouragement from the likes of Mr. Carpenter could be the last thing needed to carry them through this rough patch…

…or it could be the last thing that might have helped.

…and at the same time, here, now, Kyle may have given other men and women, in the service or recently discharged, a breath of air.

Pass this along to your buddies that served, and their families. They might be fine, or they might just look fine. A word of encouragement from the likes of Mr. Carpenter could be the last thing needed to carry them through this rough patch…

…or it could be the last thing that might have helped.
Posted on Facebook FWIW.

Reactions: natdscott
Another vet speaks...

Thanks for posting this-every generation, I think, asks these questions....

This young man did a fine job, IMO, of saying what we all wonder... Is it worth it? Was it worth it? So much sacrifice, by so many, and at times, it sometimes seems for naught.

Freedom is always worth it, no matter the duration, cost, or how it looks later. Freedom is never easy, in any regards.

There is only freedom and what one does with it.

There is only so much one can control.

God bless this young man.

Thanks for posting this-every generation, I think, asks these questions....

This young man did a fine job, IMO, of saying what we all wonder... Is it worth it? Was it worth it? So much sacrifice, by so many, and at times, it sometimes seems for naught.

Freedom is always worth it, no matter the duration, cost, or how it looks later. Freedom is never easy, in any regards.

There is only freedom and what one does with it.

There is only so much one can control.

God bless this young man.
If one accepts the Christian story, the greatest gift we were given is Free Will.

As you said so well, ITS ALWAYS WORTH IT, even is its cost your life, because with out freedom LIFE ITSELF just isnt worth it.

A fellow Virginian put it best...

Patrick Henry

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”​

― Patrick Henry

Thought provoking, classy and poignant. A credit to country and service.

Reactions: natdscott
Another vet speaks...

You have to feel it for the guy lost limbs and comrades
But this is utter BS he is telling himself .

''We did good.
We built and dug wells to provide fresh drinking water to the Afghan people.
We built schools so that more of the population had access to education, including women and children.
We provided modernized Western medicine and provided medical assistance in the region.
We built hospitals.
We also helped with the local economy and commerce by hiring Afghans to build infrastructure.
These are all tools that the population will hopefully still be able to use even after we leave.
We did good.''

we all know you would need a tiny fraction of what was spent there to dig all the wells ,make schools, medicines, build hospitals, helped the local economy. In addition, last i checked Biden took Afghanistan's central bank money which collapsed the banking sector and sanctioned Afghanistan,so puff in smoke went the schools, western medicine, hospitals and local economy days after the pullout.

You have to feel it for the guy lost limbs and comrades
But this is utter BS he is telling himself .

''We did good.
We built and dug wells to provide fresh drinking water to the Afghan people.
We built schools so that more of the population had access to education, including women and children.
We provided modernized Western medicine and provided medical assistance in the region.
We built hospitals.
We also helped with the local economy and commerce by hiring Afghans to build infrastructure.
These are all tools that the population will hopefully still be able to use even after we leave.
We did good.''

we all know you would need a tiny fraction of what was spent there to dig all the wells ,make schools, medicines, build hospitals, helped the local economy. In addition, last i checked Biden took Afghanistan's central bank money which collapsed the banking sector and sanctioned Afghanistan,so puff in smoke went the schools, western medicine, hospitals and local economy days after the pullout.

Due respect to you, but without a hell of a lot of qualification on your CV, you don't have much license to debate what Mr. Carpenter thinks or says.

This isn't a political discussion thread. It is one of RESPECT at a level very few human beings ever earn.

The content of his words is less than 1/4 of the communication in that video.

ETA: I don't ask for this kind of thing much, but frankly, I'd appreciate it if you'd remove your post. A guy like that needs no defense, but your audacity pisses me off.

Due respect to you, but without a hell of a lot of qualification on your CV, you don't have much license to debate what Mr. Carpenter thinks or says.

This isn't a political discussion thread. It is one of RESPECT at a level very few human beings ever earn.

ETA: I don't ask for this kind of thing much, but frankly, I'd appreciate it if you'd remove your post. A guy like that needs no defense, but your audacity pisses me off.
Dude.
YOUR post is stone out of line.

Regardless of any and all things, a person is allowed their opinion.
Even if I disagree with it, they are allowed.
Even if YOU disagree with it, they are allowed.

Quit bumping your thread and act "all grown up and shit".

You yourself have cheapened the thread you started.
Asshole.

BTW, I would not in the slightest be surprised if YOU were "chiksdigscars" and were looking for praise from others in some childish fantasy.
We can all read text from a piece of paper....and do it with head down in some manner of unspoken sorrow.
So ?
Means dick until it's proven.
I paid in blood, so have others, it means nothing.
What we do echoes in eternity.....what have you done lately other than bitch because you did not receive accolades that you FEEL you deserve ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC

Starts a thread about spreading freedom. Half of the posts in the thread are the OP bumping it back to the top. It fades away and the OP grabs a shovel to dig it from it's grave. Which is funny enough but then someone responds to it and the OP goes all Karen and tells them to STFU and remove their post. So much for freedom

Dude.
YOUR post is stone out of line.

Regardless of any and all things, a person is allowed their opinion.
Even if I disagree with it, they are allowed.
Even if YOU disagree with it, they are allowed.

Quit bumping your thread and act "all grown up and shit".

You yourself have cheapened the thread you started.
Asshole.

BTW, I would not in the slightest be surprised if YOU were "chiksdigscars" and were looking for praise from others in some childish fantasy.
We can all read text from a piece of paper....and do it with head down in some manner of unspoken sorrow.
So ?
Means dick until it's proven.
I paid in blood, so have others, it means nothing.
What we do echoes in eternity.....what have you done lately other than bitch because you did not receive accolades that you FEEL you deserve ?
Starts a thread about spreading freedom. Half of the posts in the thread are the OP bumping it back to the top. It fades away and the OP grabs a shovel to dig it from it's grave. Which is funny enough but then someone responds to it and the OP goes all Karen and tells them to STFU and remove their post. So much for freedom

Interesting perspectives, and I can take a push.

My purpose in this thread was, and continues to be, simply recognizing the sacrifices made by service members for this country, and the heroism of MOH recipients in particular. I continue to bump the thread so that new, and/or younger members of the forum see it, and maybe take a sec to look around the citations. No other reason. I've been a member of, and Mod, and Admin of various forums long enough to have a full appreciation of how many people Frank is reaching here, even if 75% aren't active..and I bet it isn't nearly that high.

Anyway, I met a recipient, and held the Medal, when I was about 10, and I don't think I understood, to be honest. Shame, really, but kids being able to be kids and have no perspective...well, that's actually kind of the point.

I've read a few of these citations, and yes, I recognize that I sit here on this stupid fucking internet, using the freedom I didn't do a lot to earn...freedom that was/is often protected by blood that we never even hear about.

If both of you are/were in one service or another, then I thank you for your service as well.

Last edited: