• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Mosin Nagant question

Francqua

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Portland, OR
For a winter project I picked up a surplus Chinese version of the Mosin Nagant recently...

While cleaning all of cos off of the stock I noticed how light (no weight) the wood is. The texture of the wood seemed very "fiberous". Do I have a CHU wood stock? What the heck is CHU wood and how do you restore something that feels like it came from some bush?

I probably put this post in the wrong section...I'm sure I'll find out soon enough...

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It most likely is "Chu" wood (however, it's more commonly known as Catalpa). I would check the markings to see if anything stands out as Russian or Hungarian, because it's not impossible that it has a stock from there, as well. It does look Chinese, though. They are notoriously soft stocks. There's nothing you can really do to restore it. Just enjoy it for what it is. However, you may want to add some metal shims behind the recoil lug and under the tang. This should help to give it a more solid platform and minimize compression. It will likely help to retain/improve the accuracy, as well.

I just picked up a T53 myself, last month. Fun little carbines, especially for the price.