• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MSA/Sordin Supreme Pro-X repairs...WOW!!

Mk4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2002
High Plains of Texas
I have a set of these that's several years old (2005, I think) and they quit working. I contacted the company in PA. on how to get these repaired and they gave me a contact/order no. and requested a debit card as well before shipping. Okay...no problem. Anyway, they called this morning and said that there would be a fee of $110 to ship them to Sordin and another $110.00 to ship them back and that doesn't include the actual repair or parts. $220 for just the shipping. The caller also advised that a new set is $410.00. Just checked with Triad Tactical and he's listing these for $279.99.

Anybody else run into this?

BTW, I actually didn't talk to the lady as I missed the call and she left a voice mail.

Brutal, simply brutal. I've had a set for about 2 years now and they are still running strong after being beat to shit. Good luck!

I've never heard of a set having to go back to Sweden. Every service issue that I have been part of, has been taken care in PA. The Supreme Pro X has a five year warranty but it sounds like your past that window.

SRS Tactical in Florida can both fix them and upgrade to gel ear seals.

$220 is darn near a new set.

Exactly! That re-defines absurdity.

I'll have them to ship them back...and check with SRS Tac. Thanks, Sinister.

Already have the gel pads. The muffs were marginal until I put them on.

Reactions: Nicholas Borne
Wow - that's ridiculous!

Please keep us informed on the ability of SRS to fix them. It would be good to know.

I have had a set for probably at least 5 yrs. They quit working after a couple yrs and I sent them back to SRS who fixed them under warranty. After a year or so they developed a hum and so far I've just lived with it. Comfort-wise and usability they are my favorite but they go thru batteries much faster than my peltors. As much as I like them, probably wouldn't buy another pair due to the trouble I've had with them.
I sure SRS will take care of you.

Interesting comment since SRS is not an authorized MSA dealer in the USA.

If you are in the US, and you have muffs purchased from someplace other than an MSA authorized dealer, you may have service issues. There are unauthorized dealers (RSR) that are distributing MSA/Sordin muffs in the US. They are bringing the muffs in from Europe and switching out some of the electronics. You can spot these muff because they generally have green plastic cups(not flat black) and a black leather like headband cover(not camouflage). MSA North America will not service these units and they will have to be returned to the point of purchase.

im glad that RSR is taking care of the issues they have, just know MSA wants nothing to do with Sordins that are "Unauthorized Imports".

Last edited:
I picked up 2 pair of the Sordin's from Steve 4-5 years ago. Both pair died within minutes of each other when exposed to .50 BMG muzzle blast. I guess it was just too much for them to handle. They worked fine with everything else, but not the .50's. I never saved the receipt or registered them with Sordin, so I didn't even try to send them in for service. Other than that, they were comfortable and worked well.

Right now, I'm checking with SRS Tac to see if they can work on these.

Now I'm taking this off topic: If you didn't have the Sordin's, what would be the next best electronic headphones? In case I have to buy another pair. (and I may go right back to the Sordin's if I had to buy another set but wondering what is out there that is working well)

FYI, I bought a set of Sordin's a looong time ago, about eight years or so, from Tactical Command and they're green plastic with black leather head band.

Are you saying those are "unauthorized imports" Steve?

FYI, I bought a set of Sordin's a looong time ago, about eight years or so, from Tactical Command and they're green plastic with black leather head band.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if they came from tactical command they are GTG. Yes, I got the sarcasm. OP you might call tactical command and ask them, I'm sure they can do the work as well. Use them for a conversion recently. Top notch.

Not sure, that's about the time I we picked up MSA, and I was not aware of the import issue right away. There was a time when they were bringing in black muffs, with the black headbands, so other combinations may be possible.

And it's not me saying it, it's MSA. TCI are good people and I refer comms business to them on a regular basis. I am aware of the issue between TCI and MSA several years ago, and have heard both sides of the story.

No sarcasm on my part, it was a real question.

I bought that green pair and a pair from Steve a few years ago.

I've never heard anything negative about TCI at all, that's what prompted my question after hearing about the green plastic.

As I said before, I got mine back in 2005 and the reason I remember that was the same year that Katrina & Rita hit and I was doing the Phase I class @ Badlands Tactical at the time. One of the (LE) students had to leave early because of the approach of Rita was expected to land close to his hometown.

Anyway......mine are black headphones with a black headband.

I have problems with the recoil shutting them off. Is this normal? We are talking light recoil from a 260 with a brake

No it does not sound right.

if any of you have issues with MSA muffs, call their customer service line at tel:1-800-672-2222.

Peltor ComTac's are every bit as good as MSA and in my opinion better. Super comfortable and noise reduction is good to go. Pricy however!

Right now, I'm checking with SRS Tac to see if they can work on these.

Now I'm taking this off topic: If you didn't have the Sordin's, what would be the next best electronic headphones? In case I have to buy another pair. (and I may go right back to the Sordin's if I had to buy another set but wondering what is out there that is working well)

Tony, Steve.

I have a Green and black leather headband set from TCI from about 2002-2003.
Like others I've heard the claims on the green ones and I'm willing to bet that only applies to a few years ago. In fact I had a black/black set and called TCI to get a replacement as the original set had a issue. TCI told me then that they were getting the first shipment of green to hit the country.

For what it's worth.

I have 2 pair from SRS circa 2011. One pair died last year, started working for bit then, they died again. They are green with black leather bands.

What exactly is a unauthorized import? Smuggled in? They are still Sordins correct?

Thanks

Vince

Sent from my mind via apathy.

If I am shooting in an ackward position and my muffs are resting on the cheek piece they will turn off as if the recoil is enough to float the batteries away from the contacts for a split second. As long as the muffs don't touch the rifle you should be good to go.

My Sordin's are on the way to SRS Tactical. This is what I was advised:

"Please include a note describing the problem, and return information as well as contact information. We are usually able to turn the headset around repaired within one working day. We will call with an estimate for the repair and return shipping."

The contact is:
Rusty Wirt
SRS Tactical
877 795 4848
email: [email protected]

I will also recommend TCI. Their battery box upgrade for the SORDIN's ROCKS!

I just picked up a set of Liberator III JTAC's.

Works like a charm for work in a vehicle and then unplugging and working dual comms.

Will

This story has a happy ending. Sent my Sordins to SRS Tactical and just got them back today. They work perfectly. The battery box was defective. Anyway, they installed a new box and repaired it for $69.90 (shipping included). A+ to deal with too. I highly recommend SRS Tactical.

Thanks Sinister.

Reactions: Prebanpaul
Plus it just necro’d the 6 1/2 year old thread, and added no value.

Bookmarks, they don’t add to your post count, but they save old threads for reference later good.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
Thank you guys for your reply. I tagged it for info in my search for the Sordin hearing protection and where to find them. They do not seem to be easily found. I was not looking into this thread for MSA warranty info.

Pucker - I joined this forum in 2005, before it transformed in that sports forum deal. If I was trying to boost my post count, don't you think I would have done so by now? Do you really think I waited 15 years to boost my post count? There was added value... for me.

What is the cutoff period of time where I may post to a thread without offending people to the point where they have to post in that thread, only to bash me?

Some of my post was for other readers to learn. I knew you specifically weren’t padding your count.

The issue, regardless of post count or time thread has been dormant... when someone posts, it bring the thread back to the top. That implies new content to everyone, so interested people open and scroll to read it...only to find nothing useful.

It also cues it up in anyone’s Alerts if they are ‘watching’ the thread...which, BTW, is the appropriate (forum internal) way to do what you’re trying to do. You can search your watched threads later if needed.

Or use bookmarks/favorites like you would for any other site. Both are ways to ‘save’ the thread for your personal reference without wasting other’s time.

IMO, posting with nothing to add is the forum version of a spam call.

Obviously just my 2 cents, and I’m an anal SOB... I’m also obviously not Frank or even one of his mods, but still think it’s poor form.

I could be less abrasive next time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: erslll
Some of my post was for other readers to learn. I knew you specifically weren’t padding your count.

The issue, regardless of post count or time thread has been dormant... when someone posts, it bring the thread back to the top. That implies new content to everyone, so interested people open and scroll to read it...only to find nothing useful.

It also cues it up in anyone’s Alerts if they are ‘watching’ the thread...which, BTW, is the appropriate (forum internal) way to do what you’re trying to do. You can search your watched threads later if needed.

Or use bookmarks/favorites like you would for any other site. Both are ways to ‘save’ the thread for your personal reference without wasting other’s time.

IMO, posting with nothing to add is the forum version of a spam call.

Obviously just my 2 cents, and I’m an anal SOB... I’m also obviously not Frank or even one of his mods, but still think it’s poor form.

I could be less abrasive next time. :)

I agree. "Watch" button at the top of the post.

Edit: And yes, I realize I just did it also but I was just trying to clarify what @pucker was saying.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for your informative input for an old time newbie. Have learned how to use the Watch function. Old dogs can still learn new tricks. 😁

Reactions: pucker
My son found an army surplus store where he is currently stationed that had quite a number of cheap MSAs with comm boom mikes as well as comm Peltors (some single boom, some dual mics) with minor issues. He bought a batch of both and sent them all to SRS, and they came back refurbished good-as-new. He had them change out some Navy interface plugs with Army-Air Force. He uses them as a platoon leader to talk on internal MBITR comms as well as plugging into vehicles and aircraft.

One of the options he asked for is extended shrink tubing over the comm cables to protect them from UV/sunlight damage.

He is very happy with SRS and says they are as quick and reasonable as ever.

Reactions: pucker
SRS Tactical in Florida can both fix them and upgrade to gel ear seals.

$220 is darn near a new set.
I second this. I sent like 13 pairs to them. They emailed the run down on what was worth fixing and what wasn’t. Wound up letting them fix about half and mothballing the rest. They also had the cheapest prices I was able to find.