• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My First Question - Rem vs Savage

deadshort151

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2010
About 43.780222, -82.985417
Currently I have Browning A-Bolt II Stalker w/Boss (read ear buster) in .308 that I am going to ultimately give to my son to give me an excuse to buy a newer rifle. I have been reading a lot of reviews/comparisons about the Savage 10FCP and Rem 700SPS Varmint. Considering that optics and shooter error would be a wash on both as they would be the same, any suggestions/comments on the out of box accuracy. Probably 300 yard range max most of the time, occasionally 500. Any info would be appreciated.

*On a side note, except for the deafening blast, the recoil reduction of the Boss sysem is great, my son was shooting it when he was just over 8 with no ill effects.

Re: My First Question - Rem vs Savage

This topic has been beat to death...

Savage= Out of box cannot be touched. (Look at the 10FCP-K)
Remington= With upgrades will surpass Savage. IMO. (Look at what GAP does with the 700 action)

For a stock factory rifle, Savage is in my opinion hands down better than Remington.

Thanks - looks like on your question the Savage took the ribbon. That 11 Long Range Hunter is interesting. Fluted with an adjustable comb and "adjustable" muzzle break also. Wonder it that works similar to the Browning one??

That's what I was most interested in was out of box performance. I know that I have seen a lot more aftermarket tweeks for Remington's.

After all that it's kind of like comparing a Honda Indy car and a stock Toyota Camry.

I also had a very similar question several days ago. Since the Savage tends to be more accurate out of the box, I'm leaning towards the Savage. The Remington with an action job, I've heard, will outshoot the Savage. It seems that the time to do the action job is when the rifle is rebarreled, which ,for me, won't be for a long time.In my case, by the time I'm ready to rebarrel, I will probably have incresed my skill and experience to the point where I will be able to benefit from the precision of a custom rifle.

Sure the Remington with an action job might out shoot the Savage. But what happens when you do an action job on a savage?
Sharpshooter supply does an action job for about 125 bucks.
They also sell a replacement rigger for 97 bucks, if you don't like the accutriger, replace it.
People get all bent around the axle in reference to the "tab" on the accutrigger, in reality, when you rest the pad of your finger on the trigger, it depresses the tab, no concious effort required, just don't think about it.

I own both, my most recent acquisition being the Rem SPS Tactical.
I like my SPS, but had the PC10 been available, I would have gone that route without a second thought.

My Savage model 12 .243 shoots better than my sps tactical and a bit better than my Sendero (but that might be me, not the rifle, it's a 7mm Mag).

I will say this about the remingtons, I do prefer the "feel" of the action when operating the bolt, it just feels right.

Either one will serve you well, it is pretty much a ford vs chevy discussion anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure the Remington with an action job might out shoot the Savage. But what happens when you do an action job on a savage?
Sharpshooter supply does an action job for about 125 bucks.
They also sell a replacement rigger for 97 bucks, if you don't like the accutriger, replace it.
People get all bent around the axle in reference to the "tab" on the accutrigger, in reality, when you rest the pad of your finger on the trigger, it depresses the tab, no concious effort required, just don't think about it.</div></div>

i dont get all the trigger hate. how long have we had glocks? plus you can get one that is adjustable down to 6 oz.

OP- deadshort, look around the rifles section, go back a few pages, use the search with savage as a keyword. there are alot of good posts about smoothing the action a little, tips and tricks, seberal guys got new savage rifles in the last few weeks, they have all posted recently with pics. look in the for sale area. at one time there were 3 savages up for sale. one McM, one HS and a choate tactical. they all started getting snapped up recently.

The break is just a break on the Savage, it cannot be "tuned" like the Browning BOSS. The Savage break that can be opened or closed is being discontinued by Savage (at lease that's what the Govt/Mil rep told me).

Also, with my new experience with the Savage with AccuStock it out shoots Rems that have had some semi custom work done to them.

if you are going for factory rifle performance the savage wins at least 9 out of 10 times plus for the same as a rem. w/hs precision & bdl you can get a savage with mcmillan a5 and dbm not really a comparison in my mind. Plus few people mention the fact that custom savagae barrels usually cost significantly less than rems.