• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes my hunting set up, your thoughts if you don't mind

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
this is going to be my hunting set up, from what i can tell it will all work together, your thoughts are appreciated, i already have the rifle and the surefire flashlight

rifle: savage model 11 .243
scope: vortex diamondback 3-8x40 with bdc reticle, here
rings: burris xtreme tatical low 1", <a href="http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116860/burris-1-xtreme-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte-low" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">here
</a>
base: egw 1 piece picatinny style, here

added for night time hog hunting
daniel defence 1 o'clock picatinny rail, here
surefire picatinny rail mount for surefire flashlight, here

Re: my hunting set up, your thoughts if you don't mind

Sounds like a good setup to me, get it together and post up some pics and a range report.

Might get more response in the "Hunting" section.....just sayn

As a fellow gear-nut, I applaud you for putting a rail-mounted flashlight on a bolt-action rifle, but if the flashlight is for acquiring your target while you're out on a night hunt, it might be high time to look into some infrared or night vision gear. I know it's expensive but at least the critters won't see you sneaking up on them. Good Luck!

i was originally going to use as flashlight and be able to swap out with one of the laser genetics light setups but i was wondering lately if i should keep the normal base and mount the laser genetics light to the scope, or if i would prefer it on the side. not really sure how it would effect shooting and accuracy. i am very very new to all this so it's all a learning expierence. but i think with the picatinny rail it leaves me open for more options down the road, might look a little weird but oh well

any thoughts?

Might want to take a look at the Viper series scopes on sale at Camera Land.

http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper2-7x32

Nothing against SWFA, I like them too but the Viper series is a little better scope, nicer knobs, just a little tougher. I own a Diamondback 4-12 and love it. I also just got rid of my Viper, and have a Viper HS and PST. For the money, the Diamondback is hard to beat, but if you could get a Viper at the same price . . .

Mike

so after looking at the viper line, i'm wondering this.

the diamondback 3.5-10x50 is $250
the viper 3.5-10x50 is $380

is the viper really worth the extra $130

if it is, then i'll just get some more stuff on ebay, to make up the difference, if not i'll order the diamondback now

The Viper is a better scope. $130 better? Maybe. The knobs are much nicer and are probably designed more to be used where the knobs on the diamond back are a "set your zero and put the covers back on" kinda scope.

My advice, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">CALL</span></span> the site sponsors. Let them know you are military. You deserve a discount for your service.

It might shrink the difference to where you are happy.

If you are not in a hurry, you are more than welcome to come look through all of my scopes cheap Bushnell and BSA through Nightforce. I'm in San Angelo.

Mike

Having owned a Diamondback 4-12x40AO and a Viper 3-9x40, BUY THE VIPER!

Everything about it is better. Knobs, finish, reset to zero, and especially the glass.