• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s My local Pawn Shop is full of stupid.

BIPMaster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Arkansas
There is a local Pawn Shop I stop into somewhat infrequently. They are ok people, and they have a pretty good selection of tools, albeit at slightly inflated prices....apparently if it says Dewalt then it will never depreciate, no matter how much it has been beat to shit.
So last summer I was browsing the gun counter (full of Taurus and Glock pistols, which also never depreciate) when I spy what is marked as an Aimpoint T-1 sitting on a Larue mount. The price is $369, so I immediately ask to see it thinking I might get a good deal. Of course the illumination switches from red to green, so I tell Jimbo the elementary school dropout behind the counter that the "Aimpoint" is a fake. He informs me that they do not verify if items are real or fake. Caveat emptor.
I returned last week with my father, and noticed an Armalite AR-30 hanging on the wall with a bigass scope on it. I asked if I could see it in the hopes that I might get a good package deal. From a distance the scope looked like maybe a Zeiss Conquest. The tag said it was a Nightforce, but the scope was actually an eXplore 6-24. I asked the dude behind the counter, and he proceeded to extoll the virtues of the "Nightforce" scope. I didn't even bother to correct him this time.
Freakin Pawn Shops. Good for a chuckle.

Re: My local Pawn Shop is full of stupid.

It does kind of suck that they are selling fake sh!t at your pawn shop. I guess the people that are in that line of work could really care less if something they are selling is real or not. So much for a reputation any way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a local Pawn Shop I stop into somewhat infrequently. They are ok people, and they have a pretty good selection of tools, albeit at slightly inflated prices....apparently if it says Dewalt then it will never depreciate, no matter how much it has been beat to shit.
So last summer I was browsing the gun counter (full of Taurus and Glock pistols, which also never depreciate) when I spy what is marked as an Aimpoint T-1 sitting on a Larue mount. The price is $369, so I immediately ask to see it thinking I might get a good deal. Of course the illumination switches from red to green, so I tell Jimbo the elementary school dropout behind the counter that the "Aimpoint" is a fake. He informs me that they do not verify if items are real or fake. Caveat emptor.
I returned last week with my father, and noticed an Armalite AR-30 hanging on the wall with a bigass scope on it. I asked if I could see it in the hopes that I might get a good package deal. From a distance the scope looked like maybe a Zeiss Conquest. The tag said it was a Nightforce, but <span style="font-weight: bold">the scope was actually an eXplore 6-24. </span>I asked the dude behind the counter, and he proceeded to extoll the virtues of the "Nightforce" scope. I didn't even bother to correct him this time.
Freakin Pawn Shops. Good for a chuckle.</div></div>

Sounds like they're wanting to "explore" someone's bank account by selling counterfeit shit. A sucker is born every minute so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to deplete their bank account.

Why don't you just buy a ton of bullshit scopes and sell them to them... Just be sure to tell them their S&B PMIIs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you just buy a ton of bullshit scopes and sell them to them... Just be sure to tell them their S&B PMIIs. </div></div>

I actually thought about doing this. Just get a bunch of Counter Sniper scopes and sell them to the Pawn Shop as .mil issue Nightforce scopes
grin.gif

Around here, pawnshops and gunshows are about on the same plain. Both usually sell firearms at over inflated prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you just buy a ton of bullshit scopes and sell them to them... Just be sure to tell them their S&B PMIIs. </div></div>

I actually thought about doing this. Just get a bunch of Counter Sniper scopes and sell them to the Pawn Shop as .mil issue Nightforce scopes
grin.gif
</div></div>

That is no shit. The "in defense of liberty" and "government overrun" bullshit you see on CounterSniper should definitely help with dumping them on the pawnshop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you just buy a ton of bullshit scopes and sell them to them... Just be sure to tell them their S&B PMIIs. </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

That is no shit. The "in defense of liberty" and "government overrun" bullshit you see on CounterSniper should definitely help with dumping them on the pawnshop. </div></div>

I'll lean in real close and tell the dude that these are the scopes that the Space Shuttle door snipers use.

I would surmise most people looking at rifles at the pawn shop use them for hunting and probably use Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, Tasco, BSA, and Weaver scopes. They likely regard Leupold as the pinnacle in scope development. I can't really get too bent out of shape if the pawn shop employees can't recognize a counterfeit Aimpoint or Nightforce. They (Aimpoint & Nightforce) market a niche product that few scope buyers will ever purchase. When it comes to gun and optics sales, we at Sniper's Hide are a very small slice of the pie (but we shoot most of the ammo
grin.gif
)

While maybe the employee shouldn't be spouting off about things he knows nothing about, he probably gets away with it with the majority of the customers.

It didn't bother me that they had fake or mislabeled optics, but when I try to help them out by telling them they are fake IMO an honest shop would pull the item and do some research so they can label it correctly. Better yet, they could do some research BEFORE they buy an optic so they and whomever purchases the optic do not get ripped off. Just seems like good business.

I got an lmt sopmod @ a local shop last week for $40. It's got krylon on it, other than that she's cherry. It is a real sopmod, LMT marked and has milspec buffer dimensions.

When I went to pay, the guy asked me if I watched sons of guns on Discovery Channel, then proceeded to ramble on about their AR project and how .438 socom (yes, i know it's not .438 really) is super badass and such. I literally had to choke down my laughter and nod while I basically robbed him blind on the stock.

Went to another shop across town and got a ruger 10/22 in good shape (old model w/ metal triggerguard) for $150... and it has a two stage trigger & modified bolt stop in it (plus came with all the original guts). I should have bought a lottery ticket too, lol.

^^^ That is why I like going to pawn shops. You might not find specifically what you are looking for, but you never know what you might come across. I've kept my mouth shut plenty of times while paying ridiculously low prices for things.

Yes it is true we do have some ridiculous prices on some stuff. I work at a pawn shop down here in the valley who's name I don't care to mention. But just like every where else we do have some good deals. The pawn shop I work at does not take in firearms so I don't get to deal with people trying to pawn their $8000 870 remington express shotguns, but we do get a lot of people trying to sell us stuff not worth what their asking for. Here is where the problem begins if the customer tries to pawn something we must look it up first, then we have to put a price in the computer. Some of the times we cannot find that specific item on the computer therefore we must put a price to it from the top of our heads. To me I rather lowball somebody then give them more then what the item is worth. But we do have some employees that overprice stuff. The computer then will automatically put a price to the item, if we gave too much on it then it will be overpriced, nothing we can do about it.
Sorry for the long read but this is how it goes... just my two cents.

You do find some good deals though every now and then..

Thanks, and not trying to defend the idiots behind the counter. lol

I frequent pawnshops once in a while. There is a strip of them near my town. One of them is a big chain, so the prices are actually pretty good. A majority of the staff are younger kids, who are pretty much ignorant and/or lazy. Ive pulled vintage scopes for $20 and $30 dollars and flipped them for over $100. Now if I could only find an old accurange!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It didn't bother me that they had fake or mislabeled optics, but when I try to help them out by telling them they are fake IMO an honest shop would pull the item and do some research so they can label it correctly. Better yet, they could do some research BEFORE they buy an optic so they and whomever purchases the optic do not get ripped off. Just seems like good business. </div></div>

Finding a business that is out to do "good business" and that is not all about the dollar is getting to be a rare thing, especially in the U.S. and especially pawn shops. Just the way business is this country is going, IMO

I hate pawn shops with a passion. The one by my house has an excellent firearm selection, but they refuse to sell to me because I look too "young" they do not seem to care that my drivers license, CHP, and 03-FFL show I'm old enough to by guns. Stop baby face-discrimination!

You guys find DEALS at pawnshops?
The pawnshops here are HORRIBLE you can buy any POS beat up broken or halfway decent used rifle there cheaper brand spanking new at walmart or the sporting goods stores in town.
All the gun related stuff is like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nova98Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate pawn shops with a passion. The one by my house has an excellent firearm selection, but they refuse to sell to me because I look too "young" they do not seem to care that my drivers license, CHP, and 03-FFL show I'm old enough to by guns. Stop baby face-discrimination!</div></div>

File a complaint with BBB for age discrimination. Clearly you are licensed to carry concealed thus have been vetted by a higher authority than some pimple-faced pawn shop idiot.

Might also drop a line to BATFE, though I hesitate to ever contact them because they are such shitheads.

went by another local gun & pawn place today... got the following:

like new a2 stock w/ buffer, spring, & tube... $15

brand new 6-position stock w/ milspec buffer tube... $25

delta ring assembly $10

and the one i'm really proud of... ruger mkIII .22 pistol, $150

I was able to trade in a CTR stock I don't use anymore for $75 towards the total

While my wife was working in Huntington, WV, I would visit here on the weekends and there was a little pawn shop near the shopping center that I would occasionally visit. I would walk the gun counter and see the over-priced stuff then the used guns and see some fair deals, but nothing great.

One day I was looking at a Remington Sportsman 12 Pump in the used rack. Looked excellent, rack was butter. The tage said $250. The guy behind the counter said "I will make you a hell of a deal on that." I asked how much. He went to the computer and came back with $120. I asked what was wrond with it. He said nothing. Someone had been making payments on it and just stopped. Well, for $120, I decided to take a chance and it turns out the shotgun was awesome at the range. Took it apart, cleaned it and it was solid. FYI: The Sportsman Series was made 1984-1987 and was just before the 870. The Sportsman takes all the 870 parts, verified by serial number with Remington.

in 2010 i bought a slightly used Mossburg Tactical, black for 150.00 i looked at the guy when he told me the price, a little awakward pause then he said should i ring it up, sence he was the owner and i would have said it to any one,.... ummmm yep got it right here. almost tore my pants off to get him the money. they retail for 550.00

This is turned around a bit, A friend is a retired police chief and works at a Pawn shop, A fella asked if he bought guns and he said of course. seller stated that he had a "50". Owner thought he meant a muzzle loader. Well he went out to his truck and he and another fella walked in with an M2 .50 cal. MG ! Well he called me to come and verify that it is a full auto MG and where it came from. Well it was a full auto and he did not have a tax stamp for it. What an Idiot !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is turned around a bit, A friend is a retired police chief and works at a Pawn shop, A fella asked if he bought guns and he said of course. seller stated that he had a "50". Owner thought he meant a muzzle loader. Well he went out to his truck and he and another fella walked in with an M2 .50 cal. MG ! Well he called me to come and verify that it is a full auto MG and where it came from. Well it was a full auto and he did not have a tax stamp for it. What an Idiot ! </div></div>

So what happened afterward?

the Pawn shop guy paid cash and it went to his basement!!You know with the others,,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Finris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Pawn shop guy paid cash and it went to his basement!!You know with the others,,, </div></div>

Right after the guy who brought it in headed for federal prison.

Its a pawn shop, for cryin out loud....not too many rocket scientists in there.

I would be severely tempted to buy it off him and hide it away and only shoot it on extremely private land. O but for the law...

It would be interesting to trace the serial # (if it still had one) and see what Arms Room it was lifted from.

A local pawn/gun shop had 2 M&P Ar-15 Sports up for sale. One was totally stock and the other had after market pic rails installed. Prices were $999 and $1199: both Sports with no FA, no Dust cover and a solid trigger guard. I told him I was interested, but that his price was way off. He told me to make an offer. I offered $500. He pulled up his website and showed me the MSRP of a different M&P for $1200, "Here, see the price is good". Then, I scrolled his mouse down to the bottom the of the page and showed him the Sport with a MSRP of $739 new. He told me that his gun was the more expensive one and called his boss over.
My guess is that they paid someone a lot of money not knowing what they were buying. I added salt to that. Maybe they will find some sucker to take his money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A local pawn/gun shop had 2 M&P Ar-15 Sports up for sale. One was totally stock and the other had after market pic rails installed. Prices were $999 and $1199: both Sports with no FA, no Dust cover and a solid trigger guard. I told him I was interested, but that his price was way off. He told me to make an offer. I offered $500. He pulled up his website and showed me the MSRP of a different M&P for $1200, "Here, see the price is good". Then, I scrolled his mouse down to the bottom the of the page and showed him the Sport with a MSRP of $739 new. He told me that his gun was the more expensive one and called his boss over.
My guess is that they paid someone a lot of money not knowing what they were buying. I added salt to that. Maybe they will find some sucker to take his money. </div></div>

Their ability to match pictures is underwhelming to say the least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It didn't bother me that they had fake or mislabeled optics, but when I try to help them out by telling them they are fake IMO an honest shop would pull the item and do some research so they can label it correctly. Better yet, they could do some research BEFORE they buy an optic so they and whomever purchases the optic do not get ripped off. Just seems like good business.</div></div>

Welcome to the world of "doorgunner". A title I earned while living in Helena, MT. A local pawnshop had some good and bad stuff mixed together. I naively brought it to the clerk/salesperson/derelict on duty's attention. Well the dude's comprehension level was like the glidslope of a rock with two dead engines. I came in a couple months later and the stuff was still there so I helped myself to some good deals.

I did get 86'd from there though. A couple months after I snagged the good deals, I had some A'hole break into my truck and steal my tools. He pawned them there. I got everything back that had my initials on it. At least it cost them some money. The stuff I didn't have my initials on, I got $15 restitution. My end feeling was "It's a shame F@&#TARDS like that can procreate."

" FYI: The Sportsman Series was made 1984-1987 and was just before the 870."

The 870 was introduced by Remington in 1950. By the early 70s they'd sold 2 million of them !

Maybe you meant the 1100 ? The Sportsman series was built between 1956-63. The 1100 was introduced in 1963.

I usually watch for "outdated " firearms that they cannot push and lowball them...
So far I have picked up several cherry Ithica Featherweight 16ga.pumps , a few really nice Browning A5's in 16 & 12 ga. and a Drop Block 1906 Remington Gallery .22 pump that is valued close to 1k I gave $75 bucks for

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RickH11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">" FYI: The Sportsman Series was made 1984-1987 and was just before the 870."

The 870 was introduced by Remington in 1950. By the early 70s they'd sold 2 million of them !

Maybe you meant the 1100 ? The Sportsman series was built between 1956-63. The 1100 was introduced in 1963.</div></div>

he means the 870 Express, the Sportsman came out as a cheaper model of the 870, the Express came out right after the Sportsman 12 in 1987, to fill the niche below the wingmaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually watch for "outdated " firearms that they cannot push and lowball them...
So far I have picked up several cherry Ithica Featherweight 16ga.pumps , a few really nice Browning A5's in 16 & 12 ga. and a Drop Block 1906 Remington Gallery .22 pump that is valued close to 1k I gave $75 bucks for </div></div>

Man, I would love to have that Remington for my .22 collection. I'll give you $100 for it
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twisted .308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually watch for "outdated " firearms that they cannot push and lowball them...
So far I have picked up several cherry Ithica Featherweight 16ga.pumps , a few really nice Browning A5's in 16 & 12 ga. and a Drop Block 1906 Remington Gallery .22 pump that is valued close to 1k I gave $75 bucks for </div></div>

Were you at Gun Emporium in Conroe the other day with the .22?? I was there and saw a guy with one, and the guy behind the counter gave that value for it. A really neat little rifle!!

No was not me ..LOL ....i bought that one about 8 yrs. ago at a pawn shop in Buffalo,Tx...
I used to do alot of traveling with the oilfield company i worked for and used to try and stop at all those little hole in the wall places just to see what they have , picked up one of my A5's out of an Antique Shop that the owner ( an older lady )had it hanging on the wall as decoration
grin.gif