• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

My thoughts on the Atlas-update

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
<span style="font-weight: bold">see pg 3 for update</span>

I had been really interested in getting my hands on an Atlas to try out since I've been reading all the rave reviews. Another hide member was good enough to send one my way (BT10-LW17 w/ the ARMS mount) to try out and it got here last week.

I looked around for a rail that would fit my Manners and didn't find any in stock. I ended up cutting the rail from an AR15 riser I had laying around, filing the mating surface flat, drilling holes and affixing it to my Manners T4A with 10/32 buttonheads. I was pretty excited playing around with it in the office, and high hopes for a field eval.

Well, I finally got it out today and put some rounds downrange with it. Sorry Kasey, but its just not this shooter's cup of tea.

I noticed on the first string of ten shots that the bipod seemed to slacken up just a hair each shot, lowering my POA each time. I found myself resetting my NPA with every shot, something I don't usually have to do.

I also found that every time I'd pan the muzzle to the left, the tension knob follows. When returning to center or panning right, the tension knob wouldn't follow, essentially loosening itself more and more with every left to right move I'd make.

The quick release on the leg extensions wanted to be stubborn on the right leg, to the point that I'd have to fold the leg towards me, then release the extension lock, adjust leg, then move it back to where it was. Whenever I did such a manuever, the tension knob would loosen up as well.

Mind you, I personally run the tension on my Harris swivels pretty tight and prefer a solid bipod to a loose one, so that may be coloring my opinion somewhat.

While I think the Atlas is a great design conceptually and may fit many shooter's needs, the tension adjustment loosening up on me during use is a dealbreaker. If the design can be modifed into a "set and forget" tension level adjustment I think it would be a piece of kit I'd really like to have, but as the design is now I've got to say I'm glad I was loaned one to eval and am out nothing more than the shipping.

Re: My thoughts on the Atlas

Thanks for the info pal you saved me some cash!!

Thanks for the review sorbiker. There has got to be a fix for this; a way to cicumvent your issue. I noticed that my adjustment knob is pretty tight, so is it possible that the one you were using happened to have a loose knob? Hopefully Kasey will chime in soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info pal you saved me some cash!! </div></div>

Wow! One contrary opinion and your decision is made! You are easily swayed!

I suggest that you give Kasey an opportunity to address SB's complaints. There is quite possibly a very easy fix.

I just ordered mine today with the rail and fasteners... To form my own opinion. Whats the worst possible outcome? Its not what yo expected, fine. It'd sell in minutes if thats what you want.

It's a new product, it's got a solid following. form your own opinion I say.

I personally have found the Atlas to be the best solution on the market. There is yet to be a perfect bi-pod, but the Atlas is close.

The loosening while panning thing does occur on mine, but it does not bother me personally. Other than that, I have yet to find a fault with mine. But, I understand that it is not for everybody.

A simple knob locking device could be the solution. Perhaps a detent or lever that when engaged locks the knob?

I'm not tryin to knock the product or sway anyone to or from forming their own opinion. I feel that as a shooting community we owe it to one another and our industry partners to give honest feedback through experience.

Going off the online community's opinion it is the greatest bipod out there, and I felt I was missing something by not using one.
Talking to shooters at a competition where gear gets used like the tools they are and rifles get more dust in their actions than the inside of a safe will see in its lifetime is where I got some honest feedback about the product. Someone that wanted me to "form my own opinion" loaned me one to do just that and I did.

I think gugubica is very much on to something with a detent or a locking device of some sort on the tension adjustment. The issues I had with the leg adjustment would probably either go away with lots of use or could go away with a little attention to where the lock collars, detent balls and the holes they fall into. If the lock wanted to be fussy clean and dry, maybe it needs some toleance for dirty and cruddy.

It is a new product, and I know Kasey supports the shooting community-I'm also going to guess that he's got enough character to see constructive criticism as such.

For those choking on their koolaid, read the last paragraph of my original post again.

I just got mine recently and haven't had a real chance to "abuse" it yet but just from the 50 or so rounds I've put down range with it so far in a static environment, it's the best bipod I have used.

And, Kasey does kick ass in customer service so I'm sure he will address your issues and maybe makes some changes in a future generation.

Sobrbiker,

I for one really appreciate your awesome objective review of the Atlas. In fact, I believe that your post is the first that wasn't an accolade. Pay no attention to criticizing rebuttals to your review should they arise. Kasey is indeed a stand up dude that will welcome constructive criticism. We need more guys like you to post objective reviews; otherwise, this forum will turn into a propaganda machine.

That being said, I really love my Atlas. However, I will keep a close eye out for any functionality issues like the one you discussed, and I will surely document and report them as I find them.

For now, we should get Kasey in on this and maybe we can all brainstorm a fix for this issue.

I'd love to try one of these out for a while. I don't think I'd part with my AI bipod though.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...A simple knob locking device could be the solution. Perhaps a detent or lever that when engaged locks the knob?</div></div>

Like sobrbiker, I also agree with this. A lock lever in the center of the wheel would most likely work. Or maybe a ball spring detent mechanism enabling the wheel to adjust with clicks; this could keep the wheel from loosening while panning. I think this idea would be easier to implement, as it would only take some drilling, a ball and a spring, and requires less modification to the Atlas. I wish I had some machining tools bc I would give it a go right now and post some pics.

I had a atlas and agree with sobrbiker that it loosened up with shooting and think a detent ball on the adjustment knob would be good solotion. The other thing that I did not like about that is when it was loose and I rushed from one postion to the next at this years cup it would sometimes set up at a angle, I went back to my harris.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrtroubleshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a atlas and agree with sobrbiker that it loosened up with shooting and think a detent ball on the adjustment knob would be good solotion. The other thing that I did not like about that is when it was loose and I rushed from one postion to the next...it would sometimes set up at a angle. </div></div>

I had shot with my Altas for the first time last weekend. I noticed the same thing. However, it did seem to handle the recoil way better than any Harris I've shot with.

I'm going to shoot with it a few more times before I can formulate a solid opinion.

I think Steve gave a good review of his opinion. I for one, have been hesitant to pull the trigger on a $200+ bipod, but think Kasey has a very respectable company, as well is very nice person. Just b/c I don't run his bipod, doesn't mean I wish to sway anyone else from trying one. I think this is where Steve is coming from.

I'm sure Kasey would rather have this input, than be stroked.

Constructive comments is the only way to make your product better.I think the op came up with a comment that makes a really good product with a little more tweaking into a fantastic product.
There is nothing wrong with seeing a possible problem and making the manufacturer aware of it. This is how product develop and grow. To the op. Thank you for an objective review of the product.

Mac

I just yawed my atlas back and forth a bunch with the knob tightened, and I too noticed that the knob does indeed loosen until it gets to a lower drag setting. As currently designed, I see no way to prevent this; the more you tighten the knob, the more force will be exerted in loosening it while panning. I would say that this should be a relatively easy fix with detents.

I'm real happy with my Harris swivel with the pod-lock upgrade and it is quite a bit less expensive that the Atlas. The pan feature of the Atlas is a nice to have since my body can only pan so much before I have to alter my body position anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just b/c I don't run his bipod, doesn't mean I wish to sway anyone else from trying one. I think this is where Steve is coming from.

I'm sure Kasey would rather have this input, than be stroked. </div></div>

Thanks J-that is pretty much where I'm coming from.

Agreed, the tension adjustment could use some work.

That being said, when I got my Atlas, I went out and shot my best group in months. The sticky feet and ability to really preload it did make me shoot my rifle better. It felt better and the results showed on paper.

So, while it's not 100% perfect, I'm keeping mine.

Question for Atlas-having folks. I tried one and found that the legs rolled/rotated, preventing me from pre-loading nearly as much as I do with my blade-footed non-rotating Phoeonix 5.5-tacified Harris (which, granted, is less than ideal on cement).

Is there some solution to that, short of switching to the "claw" feet (and has anybody else noticed this)?

...It seems to me it would work a lot better if the legs had something to keep them from rotating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He needs to replace that round knob with a PodLoc type lever IMO. </div></div>

I think a ball and detents would do the trick, and would probably be easier to fit in the current manufaturing process.
Plus a loc type lever would snag on everything when the legs are folded, the knob has a nice wide, flat profile.

sobrbiker883, thank you for the review and sharing your opinion, but there is really no reason to apologize to me personally; I have yet to make anything that satisfies all comers and certainly don’t take any one persons opinion as the sum total of all opinions. And with that in mind, I have to believe that as many of these units that we have out in the field there must be some features that offset this Knob issue that satisfies the majority of customers including guys of the serious shooting type that have been using them for close to a year now and they are getting more of them. I would also like to point out that we have one poster in this thread that is claiming to have shot his “best group in months” with the Atlas. I have to believe shooting style plays a part in the results.

Regarding the Tension knob issue, this has bugged me from the gate but as we had shooters that had little or no issue with it, we went with it, but this does not mean I'm done with it (in fact I have a solution (no pod-lock, no ball detents (tried that...) that quick as I get some breathing room, it’ll be explored). The reason I was willing to accept it was my thought for its use and application was to get into position, make a shot move into another position and the Atlas seemed to accommodate that approach. In addition, with a fluid or dynamic situation, engaging multiple targets, having it tight would work against you as panning would be difficult, but that seems to be what some shooters want, get a position, lock it up and shoot forever from it. (Didn’t I read where people had to re-tighten the pod-lock too?)

So when shooting from a fixed position panning through static targets multiple times the knob will rotate resulting in loss of the tension, but it should not get sloppy loose, but rather back to the “Pre-load” tension setting. I have no idea when the sample you used was made, but we have started a different stack with some of the components which seems to make some difference in maintaining the “Pre-load tension”. But even with this change, if you tighten the knob then force it to pan, it will loosen.

Anyone that bought via Pre-order, (the legs will rattle when you shake it), you can return it to us and we’ll upgrade the legs and change the stack at no charge. (This has always been our policy with our gear, if we make improvements, we will always offer the upgrade to the original owner of the product at no charge or a very reasonable charge.)

jrtroubleshooter, what do you mean by “Set up at an angle”? Are you saying the legs went to the 45 degree position?

Last, rest assured I appreciate constructive criticism; it's the only way we can build better gear.

I meant to address the leg collars, they should pull down fairly easy, if not then submerse them in water and function them in and out a few time, let them dry then put some oil in the space between the collar and the leg where the balls are. This should resolve it. If not, send it back, we'll make it right.

Kasey, I'll spare you from having too look at any more of my MS Paint half ass sketches
wink.gif

This is what I envision when I say a lever http://www.impactguns.com/store/mgm_targets.html

Something that would be machined to closly follow the scallops in the existing knob as well as being a retrofitable item as opposed to having to change the existing design. Also consider than not everybody will find a need for such a thing.

Everybody is different but with my podlock I have the tenstion adjusted to the point where I can turn the lever 1/4 of a revolution (aprox amount of throw between the legs without pulling it out and readjusting) to completly lock it down or loosen it enough to readjust it.

Messing around with my ATLAS I find the knob difficult to manipulate without drasticaly changing position as well as the round knob tucked between the legs is hard to get leverage on from prone YMMV. So IMO a simple lever, tail, donky dick or whatever you want to call it pointing towards the shooter would be a welcome accessory or addition. Again I think it would be much easier to make an accessory of this concept vice a modification to the design as the end user would need to first dial the knob to a pont where they are happy with the amount of resistance before installing the ring which would just serve to lock it down rapidly.

Not very good at explaining this hope it comes across as intended.

Side bare note I fianaly made aquaintences with a CAD master Mech Eng who is helping to design lots of my hairbrained ideas lol. Would have just sent a CAD file of this idea to you but I sold my first Atlas to get the non clap version which I have yet to purchase.

Cheers,

Gordon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kasey, I'll spare you from having too look at any more of my MS Paint half ass sketches
wink.gif

This is what I envision when I say a lever http://www.impactguns.com/store/mgm_targets.html

Something that would be machined to closly follow the scallops in the existing knob as well as being a retrofitable item as opposed to having to change the existing design. Also consider than not everybody will find a need for such a thing.

</div></div>

Gordon,

I don't think the podlock idea would work just by adding leverage on the knob. Reason is bc with the design as it stands, no matter how tight you make the knob, it will still loosen. The tighter you make it, the more force will be exerted to loosen it when you pan the rifle. In other words, you are just giving the wheel more grip against the body.

You are correct and I neglected to specify that as you stated it wouldnt solve the issue of it lossening up while panning. All this will do will allow it to snugged down easier (IMO) once you are on target and ready to take the shot.

I've been running an atlas for a year now, a few comps and a class at rifles only. just want to put my .02 in as a user who has zero complaints about the bipod. On the panning.. ive actually sent a lot of rounds downrange at movers this year and i can tell you this, the ability to articulate the bipod while panning makes for smart work. For example: the ground is not quite level and you end up having to cant the rifle to the right/left to follow the mover. This action is so seamless with the atlas that you may not even realize you have made said adjustment when you are in the moment. the combination of the atlas and the ar10 makes for machine-like engagement of movers.

Anchor Station, as always good to hear from you and I like the fact you have decided not to torture me with your art... LOL Seriously you did amazingly well with MS Paint so I'm sure your CAD mo-jo is very strong.

I like that lever, that would be the answer to adding leverage but as it would still be on the same line as the Pan/Cant, if set at say 100# "locks" it, it would hold, preventing any panning or canting. But if set at say 30# it would allow both Pan and Cant but loosen when panning. I think this is what palmik was thinking. Which really speaks to ones shooting style and enviroment in which they shoot.

I believe it was V5 that had the ball detents, looked cool but added no value as the knob could still be loosened. Currently the current stack seems to maintain a better "pre-tension" set which I would think ideal for dynamic situations.

Anyhow, sobrbiker883 please check with owner and see when he got it and if the legs rattle. Believe it or not, the first 500 were assembled by "feel", which is why my right hand is twice as big as my left now... lol Today, we use a thing called "torque wrench", so the consistency is way better. (I know pretty pathetic but I'm new to this stuff! Seriously.)

Kasey,

Now that you mentioned about the detents not working to lock up the wheel, I can see how they wouldn't be strong enough to prevent it from loosening. My original thought was that since the torque was from the center axis, it would have less force to disengage resistance at a distance from the center axis. In other words, less leverage would not overcome more leverage. Obviously I did not take into account that there is major friction throughout the entire wheel and the body of the bipod. You have anything else in mind right now? I will brainstorm a bit more and let you know if I think of something simple.

palmik, yep, with the dentent V5 no matter how tight I went with the knob, I could still make it move. The knob draws the "Ball" deeper into the socket. So we use UHMW for smooth slick surfacr in that joint, we then try to add enough tension to stop it's natural inclination to move.

On the other idea you offered up, I like it a lot, it seems simple enough, certainly simpler than my internal solution. I'm going to try and think it through, we haven't much space to work in that area, but maybe we have stuff there we don't need...

Thanks a ton for your support palmik.

No problem Kasey, it is my pleasure.

Kasey, I am thinking about a lever that is screwed into the center of the actual knob. Make it low profile and use one of the indexable types (pull it out and disengage it to move the lever).

It could be removable (unscrew it from the knob). When the legs are up, it would have free motion, when they are down the lever would be long enough to rest against one of the legs, in effect, locking the tension knob. This would help the lossening during panning. As long as the user did not completely lock the bipod with excessive presure, it would not affect function either.

When the legs are up, set tension to desired level, index lever to rear, fold down the legs and the lever would only move enough to hit the leg, thereby "locking" the tension knob in place.

You could even tap the knob and offer the lever as a user installable option.

I can create some drawings to illistrate this if I did not do a good job explaning it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyhow, sobrbiker883 please check with owner and see when he got it and if the legs rattle. Believe it or not, the first 500 were assembled by "feel", which is why my right hand is twice as big as my left now... lol Today, we use a thing called "torque wrench", so the consistency is way better. (I know pretty pathetic but I'm new to this stuff! Seriously.) </div></div>

The bipod is still in my possesion, and if I hold it by the mount and shake it the legs do rattle (and do have quite a bit of lateral play on their pivot assembly if that's what you're talking about). That may have been a contributing factor the to rifle lowering from shot to shot if the feet were spreading. PM sent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kasey, I am thinking about a lever that is screwed into the center of the actual knob. Make it low profile and use one of the indexable types (pull it out and disengage it to move the lever).

It could be removable (unscrew it from the knob). When the legs are up, it would have free motion, when they are down the lever would be long enough to rest against one of the legs, in effect, locking the tension knob. This would help the lossening during panning. As long as the user did not completely lock the bipod with excessive presure, it would not affect function either.

When the legs are up, set tension to desired level, index lever to rear, fold down the legs and the lever would only move enough to hit the leg, thereby "locking" the tension knob in place.

You could even tap the knob and offer the lever as a user installable option.

I can create some drawings to illistrate this if I did not do a good job explaning it.</div></div>

Are you talking about something comparable to the lock levers on the Premier Heritage?

Might work, but with a pod lock mechanism on the Atlas, you are fighting friction with more tension, and it may not hold. The tension wheel has quite a bit of surface area in contact with the body, allowing force of friction to overcome the setting, no matter how much you tighten it. In other words, if the rifle can pan, it will loosen the knob.

Here is the idea I was discussing with Kasey:

Picture the shellplate on a progressive reloading press (I have a Dillon 550B, so I am using this as an example). When turning the shellplate with the index sprocket, the shellplate locks into position via a ball-spring-detent mechanism. However, we already discussed that this mechanism will not work, since the built up friction by the tension knob contacting the body on the Atlas will overcome any holding power of the ball in the detent.

But imagine if you had a stationary spring loaded pull knob attached to the shellplate. A pin attached to the knob will extend thru the shellplate and articulate with deep detents or holes in the shellplate platform (no balls). When engaged, the shellplate will be impeded from turning. To turn the shellplate, you lift the knob, disengaging the pin from the hole, enabling it to turn. You then turn the shellplate until the pin snaps down into the next available hole (90 degrees away clockwise), reengaging the locking mechanism. The shellplate will not be able to turn at all when the pin is engaged into the hole in the platform.

Translating the example I provided, and applying it to the Atlas itself, substitute the following:
shellplate = Atlas tension wheel/knob
shellplate platform = Atlas body bottom

So X number of holes would be drilled into the bottom of the Atlas body, spaced X degrees apart from one another. Drill a hole thru the tension wheel, and install a spring loaded knob with a pin extending into the holes on the body. The tension can be set as desired without any possibility of the wheel coming loose.

yep, that's the rattle, send it to me and I'll replace the internal leg screws that will stop the rattle.

Guys I really appreciate the effort, I really liked the concept offered by palmik, but after thinking about it, for the tension to remain constant, the knob as described, would need to turn as it does now. It loosens when it stops turning with the pan. gugubica, I like the lever that Anchor shared, it would not add any height to the profile, but the knob getting loose while panning would remain (I think you could crank it so it would not budge but the area between there and the "Pre-load" tension, it would work loose. The mechanism you describe would be the same, all of which depend on the main central shaft.

I have a internal solution, meaning not using the main central shaft for the tension function. I just need time to work it out...

But you guys rock on with your brainstorming as my idea might suck in reality!

Damn, I was envisioning a different mechanism in which the panning occurred. At a glance, I didn't realize that it required the knob to turn with it. Yup, my idea is dead.

Why not have some sort of lever like on some machine weight systems that you can depress or disengage within the knob?? You know the levers that you push in when you are adjusting the seats or what have you?? Except on a much smaller version. That way it could be locked into place within some spaced holes and not move. Or it could be disengaged and you can use the bipod like it is set up now. You could just turn the lever off to the side just like you do on the swivel attachments on the monopods to disengage it.

Just trying to help and it sounded like it might work or at least spark some new ideas.

Jeremy

The problem to solve is to somehow get the wheel to turn with the rifle while panning. So it cannot be locked against the body.

Just thought I'd throw something different out there. Maybe instead of that way it could be a sort of locking turret or something like I described. Hell I don't know.

I took mine apart and fixed it today....

The tensioning knob and the nut it tightens needs to be isolated from the block that the legs are attached. As the bipod pans back and forth this knob and nut is dragging on the leg attachment block and loosening it.

DISCLAIMER---I'm sure this will void any warranty and do it at your own risk. I wouldn't blame a manufacturer if you mess something up.

First disassemble the bipod, pry off the plastic cap on the bottom, and remove the 1st nut you see...CAUTION--- this 1st nut is a LEFT handed thread and has the little swaged end to keep it from loosening (like when you put a Pod-Lock on a Harris) The next nut is a normal right hand thread. Lay the parts out in order, note how the Bellville (Cone shape, they act as springs) washers are stacked in case you want to put it back the way it was.

Here's what it looks like now....
DSC04801.jpg

Check the left handed thread nut and make sure it will go back on the swaged threads, you may have to take a small file and knock off any burrs on the edges....
DSC04806.jpg

You are going to relocate 1 Bellville washer from the bottom to the top (and replace it with an O-ring) and rearrange all of them, this is the new order. Note the location of the 1/4" O-ring.....
DSC04807.jpg

The most important part is to stack the Bellvilles in this order....
DSC04808.jpg

Moving this one Bellville frees the tensioning knob from rubbing on the body and flipping them in the order specified reduces friction on the nut that is being turned by the washer stack.

You don't really HAVE to add the 1/4" ID O-ring, but the tensioning knob will seem slightly loose if you don't, but you can try this out and get it later.

Put a drop of blue Locktite on the left handed nut when you reassemble it, leave it a little loose, you may have to play with the tightness of this nut after you get the tensioning knob where you want it.

Well kids, here's where I am at with the Atlas.
The owner of the bipod I used for this review doesn't wish to bother sending it in to have the rattles fixed, nor bother with any fix that may come in the future, and offered it to me at a great price.
After checking with Kasey that it will be covered second-hand for upgrades, I have become the owner of this bipod. It will be sent in to be checked out and have the legs tightened up.
I am looking forward to see what comes as far as a fix for the tensioning nut being locked or isolated from loosening up, as that is the main point keeping it from being a good fit for my style.
I am glad that I had a chance to borrow one to have a working opinion of the Atlas rather than an impression from others. I'm also happy I posted my opinion honetsly, it seems to have sparked some interesting brainstorming.
And its great to see a manufacturer have an open mind to input from the end users.
Thanks Kasey for you communiaction and consideration of what I and all those that have posted have had to say.

Hellbender-looks like there may be a quick and easy solution to the issue that doesn't involve retooling, I'm interested to see if Accushot sees merit in the switch, or if they were setup the way they were for a reason unclear at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Regarding the Tension knob issue, this has bugged me from the gate but as we had shooters that had little or no issue with it, we went with it, but this does not mean I'm done with it (in fact I have a solution (no pod-lock, no ball detents (tried that...) that quick as I get some breathing room, it&#146;ll be explored).
</div></div>
Kasey,
I would like to chime in and say the only improvement I would ask for would be a 'set & forget' tension mechanism. I too find the gradual loosening of the tension adjustment adversely effects my shot placement / group size.

Cheers,

DC