• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need a new long range optic, help appreciated.

Narsus

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2018
I’m looking for glass and mount for a Seekins SP10 6.5 CM. I’ll be shooting from 800-1000 yds on average mostly target shooting and PRS a few times per year. I think I’ve got it narrowed down to a few choices, and looking to spend less than $1900 for both mount and optic.

I’ve always used a second focal scope and MOA reticle.
Is first focal and MIL better a better choice for long range (for asking questions here and the like)? I’m open to learning something new.
x20 magnification or higher would be better, my eyes are not what they once were.

I think I’ve found the mount:
  • LaRue Tactical 20 MOA PSR Scope Mount QD, LT112
As far as scopes Bushnell seems like the best option for my price range, but here is the list:
  • Bushnell Elite Tactical HDMR II 3.5-21X50 H59
  • Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 Tactical Rifle Scope w/ Illuminated Reticle
  • Athlon Optics Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56
  • Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 MOAR Riflescope C535
  • SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical
Do you have any thoughts on these choices? Or something I missed (Should I stay away from any of them)

Are there better choices in this price range?

Thanks for the help!

First- switch to ffp and mil. I’ve seen several razor gen2 for sale in the optics px here. Most of them around your price range of $1900 give or take

Reactions: STROP and pineoak
I agree with switching to FFP and mil. I think there are a lot of great options in that price range, especially if you're willing to be patient and shop used here in the optics px.

Reactions: pineoak
You can get the NF for less than 1K from Red Hawk Rifles if you can catch a sale $950. Also have Ziess 5x25x50HD for $750. Great guys, owner is a disabled combat vet.

I'd look hard at a Bushnell with the current rebate.

Milehigh has the first gen razor with a spuhr in your price range

I'd also look at the cronus btr and ares etr. New but look promising and reviews are solid. Cronus btr built by LOW

If you have all day access to the internet refresh the PX section every 30 minutes or so. Really easy to get everything you want assuming it's decently common stuff

Where is the PX section? I'm pretty new here.

Is the PX section new or used items? I'm assuming it's reliable, if you all are talking about it.

Post Exchange. Used items. They do a pretty good job of setting things up here where you don't have many issues. Read the rules up front so you know what everyone's expectations are and you should be fine.

I second the PX option. I’ve made a few trades and both bought and sold several items. Great guys to deal with here and the best prices IMO.

You are definitely going to want FFP, especially if you are planning on doing PRS. One less thing to focus on when your trying to spot your misses. Also allows you to back off mag while still being able to use your reticle---so much better for dynamic situations. Far as Mil or MOA---don't matter, all user preference. If you are used to MOA then run it. Another variable is who you shoot with--much easier to speak the same language. If planning on doing more PRS then you may want to plan on switching to Mil just because more people there are running Mil so will be easier speaking the same language.

Far as scopes, I'd say pick the one with your favorite features and/or reticle. Otherwise they all have chances of failure. That's why I'd typically lean towards the Vortex because when she goes down you can get it replaced with no questions asked with there warranty.

Just looking for a good 20 MOA mount that wont break the bank really.
I liked my larue, but doing it again i went with spuhr, although the mpa may be tried down the road or on the backup when i get a scope for it

I have Larue scope mounts and they don't return to zero well enough for a precision rifle. OK for a carbine red dot, but not for a precision rifle. For less money you could get a Seekins MXM mount for an AR:

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/parts-and-accessories/scope-rings/mxm-scope-mount-2.html

It's not QD but I have Seekins rings on multiple scopes, and I can take them off and remount them on my rifles, using a Borka torque wrench, and they have very minimal zero shift. Sometimes they go right back to zero, sometimes they might need a click of windage or elevation but no more.