• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Solution to "I'll take it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lowlight

Here's something a bit weird.

I was just looking through the PX and noticed the wind sail tails for sale with a newer ad.

Just out of curiosity, I clicked on the sellers name and it popped up with a period at the end of the user name.

View attachment 8341864

I figured I would post that bit of weirdness just so you're aware of it.

Once I got back on this thread, I did the same with the first unread post.

It didn't add the period...
Weird.

View attachment 8341866
Mike not for nothing showng me this is meaningless

Nothing you have showed me is actionable and actually quite confusing what you are showing me

Please report anything with a . or a '

I mean a report does this for me, linking other scammer accounts, it linked me to new ones

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 3.58.27 PM.png

You give me the report, I can do this stuff, a normal BAN does not do this

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 3.58.02 PM.png

Which links me to new ones to stomp

Two accounts in here not caught yet, and this is what I am doing with REPORTS

A report also means I am not deleting or spamming the real account as many of you like to report the REAL account as the fake one as you can see these are all FAKE and why they appear REAL if you don't pay attention

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 3.59.59 PM.png

I think you should impose any buyers or sellers should provide a copy of their DL to the seller or buyer. I am pretty sure that will fix a lot these issues with a sticky note of their forum name.
Great idea, let’s turn a simple loss of money into possible identity theft. Giving a scammer your money is stupid, giving them a copy of your dl is really fucking stupid.

I can probably delay new accounts, but I wonder if changing the account format would highlight it has no posts

Like we need something obvious that says, hey the guy selling is a Supporter the guy contacting you is not he just has a similar name

so maybe changing new accounts to they look completely different might be easier
Lock new account profile pictures to a bright red colour with a new account warning until they unlock the ability to change it after 100-200 posts.

Have an algorithm that auto bans people that have high post counts in certain areas of the forum.

Reactions: Darryle
Buyer states "I'll take it" in the for sale ad immediately followed by a PM to the seller FROM the buyer ONLY for payment info and shipping details. Seller should NOT contact the buyer after an "I take it" reply.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
If I missed it earlier in the thread I am sorry.

But did you make it where no one can hide their profile anymore so we can use the report button on them on their profile page.

Reactions: BurtG
I can probably delay new accounts, but I wonder if changing the account format would highlight it has no posts

Like we need something obvious that says, hey the guy selling is a Supporter the guy contacting you is not he just has a similar name

so maybe changing new accounts to they look completely different might be easier

Using the Badge System to flag people is what I am thinking
There is no perfect fix. But badges denoting amount of time as a member, post count, along with supporter status might help thin down the scammers.

I know this all a giant pain in the ass. Appreciate what you do to fight it.

Mike

Buyer states "I'll take it" in the for sale ad immediately followed by a PM to the seller FROM the buyer ONLY for payment info and shipping details. Seller should NOT contact the buyer after an "I take it" reply.
This is how I've always done it. I pop off the "I'll take it" and 3 seconds later my message to the seller.

Sometimes on a big ticket item I will give the seller my number and request them to call or text me when they have the item in hand. When they call I work their relative location into the conversation (home, work shop...etc). I then ask for them to immediately text me a picture of the item in a specific situation.....a riflescope sitting on a roll of toilet paper or standing on the turret on an upside down plate....something not able to be generated quickly.

If they couldn't do it....I'd be gone. So far I'm batting 1000.

I have asked them to find a solution,

Until then, I will just manually approve everything, it's more work than I want to do, but for now, it's appears to be necessary

Asking people to protect themselves at all times is not working, so we'll do it

No wonder we have a growing Nanny State

Why do we have this odd habit of the buyer posting his intent publicly? Is this how Ebay, Craigslist or Gunjoker works?

Just contact the seller via PM and haggle things out. Once the seller has a deal he updates the thread with SPF. When funds have arrived, SOLD is posted in the thread title.

Questions of public interest could be asked in the thread or the integrity of the seller could be commented on. But why would we shout out to the world what we are buying if we can contact the seller privately?

Mike not for nothing showng me this is meaningless

Nothing you have showed me is actionable and actually quite confusing what you are showing me

Please report anything with a . or a '

I wasn't reporting anything.
I looked at the image and it appeared to have a period after the user name. I thought it looked a bit weird, but I didn't believe it was questionable since the user had more than 500 posts.

3 people correctly pointed out what I believed was a period at the end of the name was in fact the end of the underline separated by the tail of the letter Y.

Circled on the image.

Screenshot_20240205_140111_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

Should I send an I'm sorry fruitcake? 🤣

Why do we have this odd habit of the buyer posting his intent publicly? Is this how Ebay, Craigslist or Gunjoker works?

Just contact the seller via PM and haggle things out. Once the seller has a deal he updates the thread with SPF. When funds have arrived, SOLD is posted in the thread title.

Questions of public interest could be asked in the thread or the integrity of the seller could be commented on. But why would we shout out to the world what we are buying if we can contact the seller privately?
Because people are retarded and think if they "claim it first" they have some kind of right to it over someone else.

There needs to be an intermediary, a person handling the payment for a transaction, thus verification, before an item may be greenlighted for shipment. Or, a person handling the shipment before payment is released.

But, this would require warehousing with a fee stipend.

The Jeff Bezos of SH?

Is it possible to lock every for sale thread down and only allow the OP to post in it?

Interested buyers have to use PMs to communicate with the seller, and the scammers won’t know who to try and send spoof name PMs to. Granted, the seller will have to answer the same questions over and over - or they can add that info to their for sale ad?

It works for defense too. If I know an Item sold, I don't expect the seller to sell it to me.....and you, and the next guy.

If it's spoken for and then offered to me....that's a red flag.

Lock new account profile pictures to a bright red colour with a new account warning until they unlock the ability to change it after 100-200 posts.

Have an algorithm that auto bans people that have high post counts in certain areas of the forum.
But what if someone's only interested in 1 or 2 areas and not the rest? Might affect them as well.

Those that remember the “Ukrainian” that shall not be named, will remember that he was (by all accounts, and with assistance of legit design and financial assistance) on the cusp of releasing a truly innovative rifle. But, in the 11th hour, he did what all conmen do. He revealed the con and ran away with the cash. He likely could have built a business and developed a legit revenue stream, but to these ___ the lure of “fast money” is too strong.
To have such a short sided vision is to be unwise.

Ya, I can do 10 posts to PM and stuff like that, we generally can catch them in a short amount of time

But they do, ask innocent questions too build up a post count, they are very good at copying so they can just find question that dont' get flagged and repeat them
But can you do a Hellfire missile strike on their location?
THAT would reduce recidivism…..just sayin’…
Thinking out loud here…

Surely you still have connections!
Semper Fi?

Last edited:
I admittedly have not read all responses in this thread but...... what if posting anything in the post exchange requires a membership of 2 years
OPs and/or responses

All new members are simply named NIGERIAN PRINCE for a six month period. No option to change it.

After six months a new name must be approved by a mod, and member must have a minimum of 150 posts somewhere besides the Bear Pit. Or have received a minimum of 50 likes on their posts by @Bender 🤣

Last edited:

Using the Badge System to flag people is what I am thinking

I always PM the seller first. Then after we agree to terms I will post - I will take this per our PMs. By then you should have the sellers info.
I like the badge idea. It should be VERY noticeable. But like you say, even the badge thing can be worked around by a dedicated scammer. Create an account, make a few posts, scam.

I think it's important for us to be diligent and report those who seem sketchy. A 3 month old account with zero posts and then all of a sudden something to sell. Or a 10 year old account doing sketchy shit. I mean, sure, probably some legit guys that get caught up in that but if it prevents scammers, get over it. When I see accounts that obviously joined only to sell shit, it's a flag for me. Don't be so sketchy.

I've been doing what @John Glidewell says. I see something I want, I just PM the seller and make the deal. Then I post over in the ad section that I have PM'd and that I am taking that as discussed via PM. I also have the seller send me a customized pic. Then an actual phone call and maybe even a video call or chat.

It doesn't matter what this site does to prevent the scammers, where there is a will, there is a way. They will find a way to scam. PT Barnum even said it best, "There is a sucker born every minute." What's the Proverb about a fool and his money? Ultimately, it is incumbent upon the purchaser to do the due diligence. It is his money.

Reactions: lash
I admittedly have not read all responses in this thread but...... what if posting anything in the post exchange requires a membership of 2 years
OPs and/or responses

This is a great idea an all, but it's still a business that runs on subscriptions, limiting the place I use to pay the bills does not seem smart in the long term

I have taken to manually approving all new members, as well I am checking name changes, and other elements behind the scenes. it will probably require 3 checks a day to stay in front of everything as well as give people a reasonable time to get approved and post. But remember, it's still a business, it needs to be a valid service and not a risk, nor a hassle. That means being proactive.

Aside from the manual nature of the approvals, I have an inquiry into my build team as well as a follow phone call happening to find a solution to the problem. The site is flexible in terms of pre-built modules and features we can add in, surely someone saw this problem before and fixed it. So if there is a classifieds module, or some type of sales tools, I want to have them. About time to tighten up the classifieds again.

This shits rampant everywhere, it’s not even a firearms forum issue every site with sale ads is getting hit hard.

This is a great idea an all, but it's still a business that runs on subscriptions, limiting the place I use to pay the bills does not seem smart in the long term

I have taken to manually approving all new members, as well I am checking name changes, and other elements behind the scenes. it will probably require 3 checks a day to stay in front of everything as well as give people a reasonable time to get approved and post. But remember, it's still a business, it needs to be a valid service and not a risk, nor a hassle. That means being proactive.

Aside from the manual nature of the approvals, I have an inquiry into my build team as well as a follow phone call happening to find a solution to the problem. The site is flexible in terms of pre-built modules and features we can add in, surely someone saw this problem before and fixed it. So if there is a classifieds module, or some type of sales tools, I want to have them. About time to tighten up the classifieds again.
Makes sense. I certainly didn't take this aspect into consideration

It seems, with out getting too complicated nor expensive, to take the “I’ll take it” functions private. Whether it’s a button private only to the seller, or change the rules to ”pm me for sale info”. That way it doesn’t kill the public questions. At that point it’s on the seller/buyer to verify each other.

The real problem is, whatever you do to combat THIS scam, the cucks will adapt for the next one. Fuckers…

I have taken to manually approving all new members,
Could the software be adapted to similar of incorrect spelling? Where a 90-99% closeness would reject a new account out right. The FNG banner until they reach X post count would slow it down I would think, but remember you can't Forrest Gump up, on the behalf of the seller.

You're spot on with why this country is like it is, if people will not take ownership of their own protection, freely walking into the train car will happen.

Reactions: lash
Hate to say it but there is no easy fix..possibly not even a hard fix

If the “original person to person “ sale website EBay ..:with fees…still has scammers do we really think Snipershide will solve the issue.

Yes there should be some basic things that Frank is trying but with out fees there is a limit.

The bad guys are smarter than the good guys…it’s their full time occupation

The funny part; prob the best deterrent is to put everything through a FFL with the transfer fee because you need a background check and in person pick up

But that won’t go over so well 😂

Lock the PM feature till the user reaches 25 posts and has the account for 30 days. That way someone doesn't join and do 25 quick posts and start scamming.

I also like the badge idea till they have a minimum post count to easily identify they are a new user

Reactions: BurtG and MadDuner
Make it so new accounts can’t message people for 1-2 weeks or a month or something.

Scammers need to be able to make a account and message RFN for the most part to scam ppl saying Il take it.

WTB adds are fine , poster needs to understand what they are doing

Reactions: camocorvette
I don't recall signing up, but can you add a cell phone number requirement with verification before signing up? It would also get rid of the ban, resign up deal. As only one account can be tied to one phone number. That way when you ban, you are banning the cell number and not just the IP.
That’s not gonna work

The issue with time, they can create accounts that just move past the time factor

Time is easy for them as they are using dozen of fake accounts, so they can sit for the delay period and then just have stuff constantly in the space to be OK to post

It's like putting in multiple suppressors to the queue, once you have the first cleared waiting for the rest is easy

Time is on their side
Either remove the ability to change usernames.

And or remove the ability to private message for 2 weeks after name change.

Should help for all sales but the guys that are selling stuff all day everyday

Can you make it so that user names can’t contain special characters and are limited to just letters and numbers?

I think that would be the next simplest solution to people just not posting “I’ll take it”. There’s really no reason to announce it, only reasons not to. Even if posting that fraise is banned and people started posting “PMed” or something else instead there’s nothing to stop them from still targeting anyone who shows interest. If you want to buy something just PM the seller, remain anonymous and don’t make yourself a target. If you must post something make a post after submitting payment indicating payment sent.

Reactions: Bender and BurtG

I wonder what the rate of users crossing the two year mark is?
While it could slow profits to limit using px until 2 years or 1 year or even six months, I wonder by how much.
A site with a user base of this size must have a consistent number of members reaching a given time mark each day.
Plus, a member that regularly visits the site for a determined amount of time will have enough opportunity to prove worthy or get themselves banned with required amount of post

Could you incorporate a 100 post/100 days limit on new accounts to even see the PX? Exception being for supporters? It could be 30 posts/30 days, or some variation.

No scammer is going to want to invest 100 days into a scam that will be gone by the time they reach the threshold.

I abide by the rules and have not posted any WTB adds, but would like to see this rescinded. I'm willing to take responsibility if I allow myself to get scammed. The Hide is a great place to find exotic stuff. I can spot a scam and feel pretty confident in answering a WTB between phone calls, image searches, buyer feedback/presence on the hide and additional photo's etc. Before the prohibition on WTB's, I posted a WTB for an M96 Robinson Arms Expeditionary rifle. Fellow answered the add and mentioned he was looking for a Parker Hale 85...even trade worked out great.View attachment 8341884
I also have gotten a good amount of trinkets and a few gats through wtb

Great idea, let’s turn a simple loss of money into possible identity theft. Giving a scammer your money is stupid, giving them a copy of your dl is really fucking stupid.
Meh asking for DL really screens out scammers.

Could you incorporate a 100 post/100 days limit on new accounts to even see the PX? Exception being for supporters? It could be 30 posts/30 days, or some variation.

No scammer is going to want to invest 100 days into a scam that will be gone by the time they reach the threshold.
Frank has replied to this. It's not "a" scammer. It's international organized crime that has no problem making dozens of accounts, on hundreds of sites, and waiting years to use them. This is a huge criminal enterprise that may even involve nation states. He also pointed out another thing we have a tendency to forget. The forum is his livelihood and there is a limit to how much he is able to discourage subscribers just so careless people aren't taken advantage of.

Have an automated post from staff on every for sale post in the px not from a business account.
After each non op post have a staff post asking the buyer to check user name with OP. If not the same REPORT it by pressing REPORT in lower left of the post It will eat some bandwidth but it should help the naive from getting burned and help get more reported.
Unfortunately you have to hold the hands for more and more people these days

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Casselton
After resolve, for a bonus purge - Permaban programming to anybody that posts "Is this still available"
That will get rid of a small percentage of the dunces that are incurably dense.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.