• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need a Solution to "I'll take it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
One problem with PM fixes is wait time.
I bought an item, I think on this site, with an "I'll take it" and had to wait a couple days for the seller to come back and acknowledge it. Worked out fine but if a seller has the item listed on multiple sites, and GunBroker, and is waiting for the best offer, would you feel cheated if told you were late to the party?
Member ID being hung out in the thread for 2 days could have been a problem/

Exposing the "I'll Take It" buyer for a couple of days can set up a scam set of PMs.

I like the 'time stamp' with the I'll Take It but a Proxy entry in the PX thread, and a time stamped auto PM to seller shields the buyer somewhat and the seller knows who made the offer via PM and can respond via PM to THAT member when he comes back in.
Communication limited to PM thread would block out anyone just jumping in.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
No
One problem with PM fixes is wait time.
I bought an item, I think on this site, with an "I'll take it" and had to wait a couple days for the seller to come back and acknowledge it. Worked out fine but if a seller has the item listed on multiple sites, and GunBroker, and is waiting for the best offer, would you feel cheated if told you were late to the party?
Member ID being hung out in the thread for 2 days could have been a problem/

Exposing the "I'll Take It" buyer for a couple of days can set up a scam set of PMs.

I like the 'time stamp' with the I'll Take It but a Proxy entry in the PX thread, and a time stamped auto PM to seller shields the buyer somewhat and the seller knows who made the offer via PM and can respond via PM to THAT member when he comes back in.
No, I would not. At the end of the day, there isn’t any deal until both parties agree.

But, your issue (if it even is an issue) is not the issue being addressed in this thread.

Creating an “I’ll take it” button in sales threads that autogenerates a pM to the seller would thwart this specific attach. Have the button self-disable after the first submission. Lock the thread so that only the seller can post.

This will not stop all scammers, but it should put a pretty big crimp in this specific scam. Not doing something because it won’t solve all problems is like saying “Self, I need a hammer today. But, tomorrow I will need a screwdriver. Because I will need a screwdriver tomorrow, I will not buy a hammer today.”

If you post I’ll take it and the seller doesn’t sell to you for whatever reason, pull your panties back up and move on.

Reactions: nikonNUT and lash
Anonymous Dick pic registry. Then when there is a buy/sell transaction both entities submit dick pics. The site would use some sort of AI recognition software. Authenticity of both parties would be confirmed. The transaction could then safely proceed.

• Haha
Reactions: Doc68 and lash
Anonymous Dick pic registry. Then when there is a buy/sell transaction both entities submit dick pics. The site would use some sort of AI recognition software. Authenticity of both parties would be confirmed. The transaction could then safely proceed.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xXXhLy1M4RML6" width="480" height="259" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Reactions: lash and thejeep
And what happens when the streams cross huh ?

Dunno about you, but.....

For those of us with Irish blood, how will AI decipher long days vs short days?

They are trying, but with manual approval I am stomping everyone of the accounts

They will try to change up the emails and user names, so any that might get through, will be found out, and once we see the new pattern of accounts we'll just stomp them again, they will have to be nimble and they will certainly try.

But for now, manually approval is stomping them pretty good, and then cross referencing the ones we already caught, I did a pretty decent job this week putting a dent in their operation

Just report them, but please don't report the real accounts, that is a real issue, people are not paying attention and reporting the real accounts vs the Spoofed Account then they get offended when I chew them out, I am spamming these accounts so when I do it wipes your entire history, and I have spammed a few real ones

So I am not smart but can you set up it up so that special characters like periods, commas, and apostrophes can't be used while creating a user name during registration? At least that might eliminate one small facet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasherka
I think this is already implemented in the AI Picture Thread..........

• Haha
Reactions: nikonNUT
Had the call,

Immediately we'll have two changes to the accounts to separate them visually and if these two options are not enough we have a 3rd options which is a custom solution that we can roll into. (The 3rd option would take awhile to implement.)

But in the immediate, aside from manually approving accounts to weed out the scammers, we'll be setting up a visual fix that will give the badge block a unique look for the different levels of accounts so you can't fake it, as well we may add a tool tip to any new accounts that tells you, you are interacting with a brand new user as a warning message.

Should not take long for the first 2 fixes to be visible.

How about this as a partial fix: In a "for sale" thread, prohibit anyone but the OP from posting in it. All comms with the seller will have to go through PM's. That way a scammer won't know who is buying it and can't then impersonate the seller.

This is basically the custom fix we spoke about, but we considered taking it even a step further, by using the buy now button to cover the user name unless you contact them, so you can't see the user, as well it will log who tries to see who is uncovering the user so if a scammer tries to hit a bunch we can see it.

And we have a few AI options to consider, smart scanning for scammers, but that is a bit more effort

Just the other day I was looking at an ad for a watch on Reddit. There was a message (automated if I remember correctly) that said that the poster of the ad had zero other posts and that care should be exercised by anyone thinking of buying the watch. Maybe we should look to other selling or auction sites to see how (if) they do anything that we can emulate.

What about this imagine a battleship (the game) communication grid. Letters on the left vertical axis. Numbers on the horizontal top axis. Daily plotted point. For example L8. Follow those points to intersection. And you see it calls for 24 yellow dildos. At this point the buyer has to send 24 yellow dildos to the seller. And the seller sends them back a photo of them flipping a bird, with the dildos somewhere in the photo. Then the transaction can go through with no worries .

I can probably delay new accounts, but I wonder if changing the account format would highlight it has no posts

Like we need something obvious that says, hey the guy selling is a Supporter the guy contacting you is not he just has a similar name

so maybe changing new accounts to they look completely different might be easier

I've Been thinking about this as well

What about a longer than 48hr waiting period for new accounts or changed name accounts where they cannot PM or post in the PX for 7 days?

If they can't post or PM for 7 days.. or any time they change an account name it's another 7 day period.. shouldn't that remove all this hurry up and add a period or comma etc to PM a I'll take it guy???

I've Been thinking about this as well

What about a longer than 48hr waiting period for new accounts or changed name accounts where they cannot PM or post in the PX for 7 days?

If they can't post or PM for 7 days.. or any time they change an account name it's another 7 day period.. shouldn't that remove all this hurry up and add a period or comma etc to PM a I'll take it guy???
What about if a true established member decided to change their name? There have been a few of those. More few and far between though. Would they be limited by that waiting period?

I'm not planning on changing.

What about if a true established member decided to change their name? There have been a few of those. More few and far between though. Would they be limited by that waiting period?

I'm not planning on changing.

It's so infrequent for valid members, sure why not. 7 days. I doubt the world is over if you can't sell or PM for 7 days.

Why not just disallow users from changing their nickname unless given permission by a mod......and ANY name change has to be approved ?

Hell, just get rid of the option period ?

Reactions: BurtG
Why not just disallow users from changing their nickname unless given permission by a mod......and ANY name change has to be approved ?

Hell, just get rid of the option period ?

Doesn't stop someone from creatng a new account exactly like a valid member with a dot at the end, etc..

Hence the 7 day waiting period.. that will surely stop that

Does the forum have support for a shopping cart? So only people that have a legal account to sell can post a ad so a buyer can go through a email process only with a transaction without any payment required? That should cut out these people.

-Would it help making the replies in the trading threads invisible to everybody but the OP?

-And also hiding the trading threads from new members altogether until few weeks has passed?

-Voucher system, where a certain number of older users must vouch for the new user. I am dying to see how this goes and demand this to be implemented right away.

tumblr_pq565fG6Ld1v9n68ko4_250.gif

• Haha
Reactions: thejeep and lash
I am glad to see the changes, and hope they can knock out most all of the rotten spammers.

From a code perspective, all you have to do is filter the new entries with all special characters stripped against your list of existing entries.

You can get as fancy as you like with this and the details of how are widely known and make great interview questions for nerds (Google Levenshtein distance) but something basic would suffice.

That will kill off a good share of these.

To change username, either require mod approval or don't allow it at all.

Then completely hide the PX for the first 100 or so posts. Don't make a users PX post history visible to those without PX access.

I suspect those three measures would make life much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSalty2
Doesn't stop someone from creatng a new account exactly like a valid member with a dot at the end, etc..

Hence the 7 day waiting period.. that will surely stop that
Yea but a new account would show the date of starting that account.

Yea I know you have a solution in place now, hope it works as planned.
Everyone knows that for one solution there is at least one work around.
We shall see eh ?

Do new accounts show in a different color? I have not seen one yet.

@Lowlight

most of us would not like to give out more personal information than we need to but is it possible have accounts updated with verified data that supports this for just the px section? That data would only be seen by administrators.

Just a suggestion

When creating a username name does the system allow very similar usernames to be created or existing usernames duplicated?

The problem is no matter what you do the scammers will come up with a new scheme. Other than using a 3 rd party company to hold the money until the item is delivered (which nobody wants to mess with) I don’t think you can eliminate it.

People just have to pay attention and be smart.

I got scammed for the 1st time in my life on another board. The guy pm’d me and changed a 1 to a l in the user name. I was in a hurry and sent him $200. Luckily I got the money back from my credit card company.

I was in a hurry when I sent the money. Looking back on it there we several red flags I should have seen. I think paying attention, asking for different pictures, and asking specific question only a gun guy or the seller would know is all that you can do.

When I sell stuff I will pretty much do anything that the buyer asks to confirm I am real.

We've now added a color code for all accounts.

Orange accounts are new members

Blue are full members

Green are Supporters

If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!
Sorry if I missed it but what is the time or activity duration until it changes color? How fast can orange turn green?

I think the "I'll Take It" locks the time and prevents the seller from picking the best bid.
Except "I'll take it" doesn't handcuff the seller into dealing with that person. The seller can tell them to fuck off and sell it for less or more to the next person if they don't like them, thinks they are shady or a scammer, or for any other reason they see fit. So what's it matter?

Reactions: lash and Yasherka
Except "I'll take it" doesn't handcuff the seller into dealing with that person. The seller can tell them to fuck off and sell it for less or more to the next person if they don't like them, thinks they are shady or a scammer, or for any other reason they see fit. So what's it matter?

Correct, due to scammers, tire kickers, etc. The I"'ll Take" It rule Frank changed idk a year or two ago or so. Seller can sell or choose not to sell to anyone they feel like.

The only account that matters is really the Supporter Account

The Full Member Account no longer has any real meaning beyond Time in Service, we moved beyond the old Full Member stuff, it's not Supporter and Supporter + to Buy, Sell, etc.

The majority of these scammers when they try to interact usually get caught in less than 20 posts, I think the average I saw was around 12-15 posts before they trip a red flag.

You can say NO to any transaction for any reason, especially if something feels off. That said, if you as the buyer, etc, get told NO, I recommend not giving them Negative feedback. I just nuked a guy that was mistakenly giving people negative feedback. He was reporting the real member and not the scammers, so I dumped him after a warning.

Most scammer accounts that are older, are dormant, they don't use them until they need them. Remember they are foreign based people so they don't communicate the same as you and I ... and foreign accounts should not be buying for any reason. If you don't live in the US, don't try buying.

But the time frame, etc should not matter, I am manually approving accounts spamming every one I see from the scammers. Any account they slip through will be found as soon as they start talking. Once we find one, I can usually link 4 or 6 others together.

But all you need to know is, New Accounts with no posts are one color, Supporter Accounts that can actually use the PX to Sell are another color. So if you plan to buy something from a guy labeled in Green and a guy labeled orange contacts you, surprise you found a scammer. Report them immediately and move on as we'll remove them.

And know, even with minor PX transactions I BAN first and let you fix it later. So no suspect, reported accounts get very far, and with the site currently locked down I should be able to limit their reach moving forward

But, what Rvapor really, REALLY wants is to handcuff the sellers to his offer. That much is readily apparent from his posts in this thread…

Reactions: lash and Yasherka
But, what Rvapor really, REALLY wants is to handcuff the sellers to his offer. That much is readily apparent from his posts in this thread…
I want free ammo for life. So what about it? Were we all supposed to post our "wants" on this thread? Want in one hand, shit in the other I guess. The seller's moral compass is the only thing that can handcuff them to their "offer." Regardless, the seller is not obligated to any prospective buyer (or their own offer to anyone) on this forum, the rules are clear about that and this thread is the whole reason why. Even viewing his post from your perspective, that "want" does nothing to aid in the scammer problem, which is the whole point of this thread. So...

Reactions: lash
I want free ammo for life. So what about it? Were we all supposed to post our "wants" on this thread? Want in one hand, shit in the other I guess. The seller's moral compass is the only thing that can handcuff them to their "offer." Regardless, the seller is not obligated to any prospective buyer (or their own offer to anyone) on this forum, the rules are clear about that and this thread is the whole reason why. Even viewing his post from your perspective, that "want" does nothing to aid in the scammer problem, which is the whole point of this thread. So...
Yeah, we are on the same page. My point was that vapor has made several posts in this thread, all with some variation of "How can I guarantee that a seller sells to ME??!"

Reactions: SniperBro and lash
Would it be possible to have a "I'll take it" button on the sale post that would automatically generate a pm between the buyer and seller? That way if any new pms come through they should stand out as scammers.

I have no idea on the back end of this how doable that would be. Just a thought

What if you add an "I'll take it" button to PX threads the would automatically send a passcode (think 2FA), that is specific to that button press, to both the buyer and the seller? Then the two parties communicate and verify the matching passcode.

So a buyer would have to provide the matching passcode to the seller, or visa-versa depending on the structure of the scam of the month? This would provide a way to prove to each party that they are talking to the correct person and not an imposter who created a fake account.

If you felt like it, you could also include an automated timestamp in the thread with the username identifying who pushed the "I'll take it" button in order so the seller and everyone can see the order of the buyers in line? That way @Vitali1342 will still be able to always get the best deals first?

I didn't read all 4 pages and maybe it was said after page one but buyer should make the PM contact. I always PM the seller immediately after the I'll take it. Most of the time we have already been PM'ing before the" ill take it" to agree on a price or at least I'll try to haggle a little.

Ya I am gonna email them about it, but the issue is, they will simply make a new account which is good, I can see those easier, but not every one of them will flagged by the system

I would almost say, post and lock but people will ask questions
If they ask questions, have the OP update his post with the answers so all can see,. If that made sense

I've been having the last few sellers I purchased from send me a text message or call me when they have the item in hand. I then give them instructions to show the item with some common household items. The tripod I just purchased I asked for a picture of one leg in a bowl or cup and a towel or wash cloth on top.

When a picture bounces back in a minute or two....I feel good enough knowing the item exists and is in the seller's possession. If they're gonna stiff me at that point it's going to be credit card protection to cover the last bit of risk.

Can we ban special characters in user names going forward, it will eliminate the - and . after names, letters will be more visible.

I think I saw it mentioned a page or two back but I am admittedly skimming the thread so if it's been addressed just ignore this.

What about making it so that users who can't create a thread in the px (been a while but I thought it was 100 posts or something like that) also can't pm non administrative members. That way they can pm an admin if they are having a real problem and are a real member, but otherwise they can't privately talk to anyone until they graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.