• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need help choosing a medium to medium-long range scope

BigBaboon

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2012
CO
Looking at a couple here. I want to make sure whatever I get will hold up to the unusual recoil of a 7.62x51 SCAR 20S.

What are your thoughts on these?

- Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50
- Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50
- Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50
- Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50

I probably won’t use the top end of the zoom as much, much after about 12x, but will on occasion.

I was also trying to stay below $1500 but may make the stretch above it if I have to.

The Leupold seems like an easy option at $1200 but I wonder how the quality of this scope compares to the others listed.

Definitely appreciate any comments. Thanks!

the only one there i'd buy is the NX8

but i'd probably get a razor gen2 first

the rest of the scopes you couldnt get me to shoot even if free

Reactions: KeithR41
i have a mark5 hd on mine. the 3.6-18x44 version.
if it's good enough for the army....
besides, the 20s is not nearly as hard on optics as the 17s or scar-h, and they feel drastically different to shoot.

while this might be higher than you have been thinking, i would just throw in the fact that i can burn a couple hundred bucks at the range in a day.
it sort of puts things in perspective.
of course, a lot of folks consider reticle choices above other factors, and i just happened to want an h59 reticle above other options.

Reactions: BigBaboon
I have the VX6 and the NX8 both are great but for different applications IMO. But I would take the NX8 over it. I love the NF quality. I now have 3 NF scopes.

Well I hope I am not to late to help you here but I am a bit confused.
First off, I think the lack of comments to this post show the enthusiasm of this group towards the scope you are looking at. We are avid long range shooters and it appears we don't have much experience or anything nice to say about your selections ( I say this respectfully, not smite) Plus this is a post that belongs in the gear portion of the forums rather than marksmanship (how to run the rifle). But I a still want to help you.

You wanted to stay in the $1500 budget range but most of these scopes are above that price - See below
Plus the VX-6 is the lowest cost because is it not FFP or First Focal plane. (we want First Focal Plane)

- Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 - 2nd Focal Plane -( show me where is says FFP if I missed it.)
- Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 - $1500 (Euro Optics)
- Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 - F1= $1900 (Euro Optics)
- Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 - $2000 (Euro Optics)

Almost an modern scope in the $1500 range will have the ability to take a recoil of a 7.62x51. this should be the least of your worries.

Here are a couple scopes you should have a look at that will fit your bill. These are proven scope that track well and have exeletn reputations in our long range circles
Voretex Razer Gen 1, 4.5-27x56 these are for sale in the PX section of this site all the time. most in the 1500 range and you cannot go wrong with it.
Athlon Midas Tac HD 5-25x56 _ chat with @gr8fuldoug about a good Hide Price for this. $850 (I have been very impressed with this optic)
Arken SH4 6-24x50 - Other than personally not liking the reticle, this scope is a home run at <$500

Here are a couple more options
1609645069459.png

I second the NF NX8. Very well built scope and I love the MOAR reticle.
But that’s just me.

Also I should mention I have the 4-32x50 NX8