• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need help setting up my 1st "longer range" Rifle

MrM4

FFL 07/02
Minuteman
Hey Guys, Looking for some wisdom.

I bought a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x 50 LR/T TMR.
I'd like to mount it on top of my Rem 700 22-250 Heavy Barrel as well as my SPR AR15.

Im looking for a little help with choosing rings and a rail for the 700. I'd like to use a quick detach mount that allows me to switch between the 2 rifles. The scope has a 30mm tube.

I need a recommendation on a pic rail for the modle 700 and recommendation for a QD mount.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need help setting up my 1st "longer range" Rifle

Check out the mark 4 mounts and rings. They seem to work really well for me. I have been satisfied.
LBH

You are going to have a hard time with that. You want to mount the scope as low as possible on both, while still having clearance for the objective bell AND allowing you to maintain a proper cheek weld. On the AR, you will need high (relative) rings to raise the scope enough to be usable. on the 700, you will want lower rings so the scope is not as high above the bore.

Basically, the problem is the stocks are too different in relation to the receiver to allow one mount to work well on both.

Re: Need help setting up my 1st "longer range" Ri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are going to have a hard time with that. You want to mount the scope as low as possible on both, while still having clearance for the objective bell AND allowing you to maintain a proper cheek weld. On the AR, you will need high (relative) rings to raise the scope enough to be usable. on the 700, you will want lower rings so the scope is not as high above the bore.

Basically, the problem is the stocks are too different in relation to the receiver to allow one mount to work well on both. </div></div>

DING, DING, DING. Unless you put a riser block on your AR the scope will be far to low to get a good sight picture.

Josh

ok good to know, if I need to use a riaser on the AR that is fine. How do I know what size to get?
I thought about using 1 of Larue's pic rails on the 700 which is not overly thick, combine with proper rings i should have ok clearance.

i know absolutly zero about raiser, can someone shed some light on what kind of height i need or do I just look for something that is comfortable. I see things about 20mm riasers and 3/4 inch riaser. any imput?

I have badger bases and rings on all my rifles. the leupold mk-4 are good too. If I wanted a scope to switch onto diff rifles I would use the bagder rings , and a 65"/lb torque wrench.

but you can shop around leupold.badger and nightforce(just to name a few) for the rings. I would go with a tapered base for the bolt gun like a 20moa IMO
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DING, DING, DING. Unless you put a riser block on your AR the scope will be far to low to get a good sight picture.

Josh</div></div>

I guess I dismissed that. It may just be the former rock climber in me, but I always feel the fewer links in the chain the better off you will be. It's probably irrelevant with good equipment, but it's still something to think about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Josh</div></div>

I guess I dismissed that. It may just be the former rock climber in me, but I always feel the fewer links in the chain the better off you will be. It's probably irrelevant with good equipment, but it's still something to think about. </div></div>

I agree with you...but it is the easiest way to switch between rifles if that is what you want to do. I would tell you to save up and get a used 10X super sniper. Then you have a dedicated scope for each rifle.

Josh

I have to agree with a designted scope for each rifle. Those are two different animals. If for some reason you do go with a QD mount, you can't go wrong with Larue.

The main reason for useing it on both for now is I fell into this new scope at a beyond great price. I have other scopes ofcourse but nothing in this class of optic, all other i have are hunting scopes.

would it be ok to use a riaser on the AR15 with a QD mount and a Pic Rail on the 700 ? Rings would be ideal for the 700 and the riaser would make up the differance on the AR, is this resonable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrM4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main reason for useing it on both for now is I fell into this new scope at a beyond great price. I have other scopes ofcourse but nothing in this class of optic, all other i have are hunting scopes.

would it be ok to use a riaser on the AR15 with a QD mount and a Pic Rail on the 700 ? Rings would be ideal for the 700 and the riaser would make up the differance on the AR, is this resonable? </div></div>

Short term, it should do just fine. Look at a more permanent solution down the line.

Josh

As soon as i have the mount I will post some pics, im going to buy the ideal set up for the AR for now and use the scope on it most of the time and down the road buy another scope and the set up the 700 correctly. I believe a can switch back and forth for now but that is not the long term plan.

For the AR i plan to use a Larue LT-104 I like the QD mount because I can use a set of BUIS on the rifle should the need arrise. Center line should be around 1.5 inchs on this mount, 400-800yards is the idea for this rifle. I dont think I will need a riaser at the distance?
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30