• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need some newbie help

Rhoades

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2010
MN
May as well have my first post be a biggie!!

I have an AR that I use for work (16 inch carbine). I am planning 2 trips out to N Dakota and would like to take it with to shoot at coyotes when the opportunity arrises.

I bought a 6-24x50 Vortex (I know the short comings but the price was right) for it already.

I was wondering what type of range (I know a gun range would be be best, I mean the distance) I should zero it at.

Is 200 the general norm? I shoot 55 gr Hornady V-max's.

Question 2- are they any recomended website to help me build a dope chart for it? The range near here only goes to 200 yards so anything past that will have to me from a chart as opposed to actual data.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need some newbie help

I would zero for 200 yd. When you are hunting I would hold on his back if you think the range is 300 yards, and if you are really aggressive, hold about 1.5 foot high if you think the range is 400 yards. I wouldn't even consider taking the shot beyond that. This is prone off a rest of course. If there is a heavy crosswind condition at 200 yards hold a couple of inches right or left depending on direction. If you have a heavy crosswind at 400 you will have to hold roughly edge of animal.