• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New guy needs help with tripod.

musky 01

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2018
Good morning. Im brand new here and need some help with tripod shooting. I have a hunting trip coming up in Jan. Shots could be out to 300 yards from sitting in a ground blind. Im shooting a Remington 5R in 308. My question is how do I get steady on a tripod, my crosshairs bounce around. Ive used Bog Pods, Caldwell field pod and even a Priomos trigger pod. Do I need to go to a better tripod with a hog saddle or is this me ? My gun shoots 1/2 MOA out to 300 off a bench but off a tripod it SUCKS !!!! If a better pod is the solution, which one ? Ive been looking at PRS.

Hope you can help.

Bob

Search “DIY Tripod” on youtube for the cheapest possible solution (~$75). Baring that, a PIG0311 and PIG saddle directly mounted to the tripod will get you started for about $300. You may not need a HOG saddle for what you state your goals are.

Any halfway decent shooting sling (not a carry strap) can greatly aid in steadying the rifle. There are many threads and videos on here about shooting off a tripod with various sling techniques.

Support and stability however you can get it and practice, practice, practice. If you are seated and using a tripod get something like your hunting pack in front of you at your chest to help support the rifle. Anything with 3 legs is going to give you more stability than just the two legs from a set of sticks like the primos. Try to replicate the seated height at home and do some dry fire drills. It should give you a chance to see what works for you and gives you the most stability. Using a sling helps keep tension on the rifle pulled down into the tripod as well. The guys at hogsaddle have a bunch of images posted as well to show how to use a sling for tripod support and stability. Biggest thing I had to learn how to do was control my trigger finger and firing hand to keep myself from pulling the shot off target when shooting off a tripod.

Although not exactly directed at your intended use, the concepts are right on. You can build an incredibly stable position with a tripod seated in a ground blind, great way to hunt on location.

Reactions: BA226
Thanks guys for the help. I know my tripod selection that I mentioned isnt what you guys would use but its what I have. I tried you suggestions and useing the Bog Pod with my backpack on my lap seems work really well.
Thanks Again
Bob