• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New Muzzle Brake Design

Matt3357

Private
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2011
St. Louis Metro East
I hope I have come up with something that may be a viable solution to a common issue with muzzle brakes, shooting with other people around. It may not be an issue to you, but I'm sure you've had more than one dirty look. I have heard of some people designing a cover for the outside or having the brake clamp on the threads. Both of these solutions work to some extent but have their drawbacks.

I got to thinking a drawing and came up with this. Let me know what you think.

muzzle_brake2.jpg

muzzle_brake_solid2.jpg

muzzle_brake_solid.jpg

It has two inserts. One with the slots and one solid.

My only concern is of the screws not holding. Hopefully with all of your backgrounds, someone can give me some insight.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: New Muzzle Brake Design

Matt,
Interesting idea. However it will be cost prohibitive to make. If you are stuck on the insert idea might I suggest a single round insert whereas you can turn off the baffles by rotating the insert 90 degrees (instead of swapping inserts).

You can figure out if your screws will hold easy enough by looking at the surface area that will be acted upon by the blast and figuring out the pressure that will do the acting. You can find tensile strength of screws pretty easily.

I would also suggest changing your baffle design as the one you have is not optimum in size/placement. I have posted on this site a few resources that will help you with brake design. It's all DOD stuff from years of testing that's been done. Good luck, but keep in mind it has to be manufacturable at a reasonable cost. The most efficient brake design I have read about was way better than others but extremely difficult to make and had a finite life. Good luck and keep us up to speed on your progress,
Justin

Massoud,

Thanks for the reply. As far as cost, I am not looking for production, just having one made for myself and my 308.

I thought about the twist to turn off, but thought it would limit the amount of gas escape with the slotted style of porting. Plus I wanted the top ports to limit climb.

As far as the screws, yes you are right, I can get a pretty good idea by doing that, but wonder how I estimate the force on the baffles. Seems more empirical...

Can you point me to the brake design info? I am very interested in learning more about it.

Thanks,
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt3357</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Massoud,

Thanks for the reply. As far as cost, I am not looking for production, just having one made for myself and my 308.

I thought about the twist to turn off, but thought it would limit the amount of gas escape with the slotted style of porting. Plus I wanted the top ports to limit climb.

As far as the screws, yes you are right, I can get a pretty good idea by doing that, but wonder how I estimate the force on the baffles. Seems more empirical...

Can you point me to the brake design info? I am very interested in learning more about it.

Thanks,
Matt </div></div>

Depending upon various factors, you can expect pressure at the muzzle to be in 5,000-10,000 psi range. Multiply this by the surface area of the front and get the force, divide by 4 and get the force each screws got to hold. Use safety factor of 3 to get to a reliable design.

The Savage AMB (Adjustable Muzzle Brake) is a factory feature on several of their catalogued designs. It employs a rotating outer sleeve with cutouts that line up with the brake ports in one position, and block the ports in the other position. This design approach is well established and is probably already covered by patent.

The AK slanted brake design allows upward exhaust gas redirection without the need for ports, and can be incorporated into the stationary inner portion of the brake assembly.

Greg

Why not just have a perfectly timed brake you can remove and replace with a thread protector?

Well I ran the calculations on the screws and found that I was no where near close enough with the 4 6x32 screws. I am sure I over simplified since I assumed all force would be acting on the surface area and a lot of the force would be diverted out the front of the brake, but since I was so far off, I am trying to come up with another option.

SigTauJohn,

That would be the easy way for sure, but would rather not take the brake off and on. It is about 50/50 shooting alone vs. on a line.

Not to mention, I love to design things. I think I get more of a thrill from the design than the actual product. It's what my mind does while supposedly doing other things.

Matt

I think screwing the brake on and off would be faster than screwing in 4 screws...

Dont forget, not all the force from the round will be departed to the brake. most is into the bullet. then also energy lost in barrel movement and heat, etc...

Yeah, after going through three more design iterations I wasn't happy with, I have decided to go with the Muscle brake with the thread clamp and not design my own. Easier in the long run. Thanks for everyone who helped me out. I have learned a lot from this.

Thanks,
Matt

If someone complains about the noise of a brake I explain to them that guns are loud and they knew that before they came to the range and if they cant handle that I show them which finger gives a rats ass about noisy guns.