• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New rifle build...which actions

turbohardtop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Austin, TX
I know this has been asked many times but there seems to be more action builders and products improve over time. If you have to build a rifle today, which action would you use? I am planning for a 308 and AI AX chassis. There is no range longer than 1000 yards around here so 338LM is out.

Re: New rifle build...which actions

I just ordered a big horn arms sporter. Very reasonable on the price, same price point as stiller.

We've seen nearly all the higher end actions on the custom LR rifles at our local 1000 yard matches and even though it's not the cool thing I'd still build my next rifle on a Savage action and it's still be another 260. Cost isn't the reason but they just plain work and I've not seen the custom high dollar actions overwhelming them at the matches. In capable hands they will shoot right with them and the satisfaction of doing it yourself just adds to it. Some might be smoother, some are more tacticoool looking, one downside is you'll not be able to brag about much it set you back with the "bought once and cried once" but I like things simple that work. If these actions didn't work we'd not be using them. You can build them yourself and all the custom components they use for the custom guns you can put on your Savage.

Visit a few matches of various types of LR shooting and see what others are using that are shooting and competing and who is winning at them. Easier to make a decision then with your own eyes. We use our guns for local 1000 yard steel plate matches using bags/bipods/table or prone at varying distance and size targets from multiple positions and they are plenty good enough to ring steel on the last 8" steel plate at 1000 yards if we do our part and Mother Nature co-operates. They aren't being used for BR or special purpose so they fit the bill fine.

Speaking of BR and Savage, ran across this thread that was kinda interesting http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-5136.html

Just my opinion on what we've found that works for us, you can take it for what it's worth. Think you can go with about any action, put quality components around it and find the load it likes and it'll shoot pretty darn good.

Good luck with your new build.

Topstrap

I've only been to two 600yd matches so far and one was won with a Surgeon 591 and the other a trued Remington 700. The Surgeon posted a score of 286 out of 300 with significant wind. The Remington scored a 290 with mild wind. Other actions scoring in the mid-270s to low-280s ranged from savages and other Remington clones.

On the flip side, I have seen other Surgeons, Remingtons, DTAs (me), suck ass. A good smith can put together a rifle that will shoot regardless of action. As long as you get a good smith and are a capable shooter, I wouldn't worry about the potential accuracy differences between each action.

If you like clinky clanky pot metal triggers and big fat loose bolts, go with a savage. if not go with anything else! The action is important but not as important as the barrel and the shooter. Lee
Benchrest is my game of choice, and you will never see a savge win at 100-200 point blank. short range benchrest rifles are the most accurate/precision rifles there are, and a savage isnt even considered. Ever!!!
I have seen some savage action at 600 yard benchrest matches and even some that will shoot an ocational 1.5 inch group. However a 1.5 inch group traslated back down to 100 yards is a 1/4" group. In short range a 1/4" groups will get you nothing!! Lee

Thanks everyone for your opinions. so many actions out there it gets really confusing.

I'm happy with the Stiller TAC30 AW that I have on my 308. Runs smooth and have yet to have any issues with it or the other Stiller actions that I have.

I've used Surgeon, several Stiller's, and several Badgers. I like them all. I have built tack drivers with each of them. Considering the stock you want I'd most likely go with either the surgeon or the stiller depending on which one had the action I wanted in stock and in my budget. I would only go to the badger in this case if the shorter bolt lift was important to you and you didn't mind the extra work or cost of modifying the stock to fit.

If money was no object, it would be a built off a Surgeon 1086.

If I needed to be on a budget I would find a cheap donor Rem 700 LA from the local classifieds, gun sale, etc.

I would chamber the rifle in 280 Rem with a 7mm barrel from Bugholes (Bartlein 1st choice), ~ 24" length.