• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

New TITANIUM MUZZLE BRAKE

kennyhollingsworth

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2011
NC
This is my first post on this forum after viewing several weeks as a guest. I just wanted to let everyone know about a local manufacturer that is making a new style of muzzle brake for large magnum loads. It is called the DELTA BRAKE. He is located here in Hendersonville,NC. He began research on making muzzle brakes several years ago and refined the Delta Brake to the version he finaly has for sale now. I currently have one on my .300 Ultra Mag and 7mm mag. He is able to achieve 75% or better recoil reduction with the multiple ports. The same brake works on .264 to .340 caliber magnum loads. They are available in steel for 125.00 or TITANIUM for 175.00. He just got his website online today.It is www.deltabrake.com . Check it out if you get a minute. He currently has brakes ready to ship or you can send barrel to him for installation.

Re: New TITANIUM MUZZLE BRAKE

What is "his" name?

His name is Cornell Drajan. The name of his company is Delta MD or Delta Machine & Design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awful close to an ad.....................and for your first post.... </div></div>

Yep, sure is.:) I didnt see a forum for new product announcements. I figured for a NC made in america product, why not help them get the word out. He is a customer of mine and a friend. Told him I would help spread the word. Nothing gained for me, im already a believer in his product.

I would post a pic if i could figure out how,lol. The actual brake is smaller than the one pictured on the website. Any tips for a newbie on pic posting?

thanks

Here is a pic of my custom 7mm with Delta Brake.

DSC03925.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell....</div></div>

LOL, ive seen worse! (Jp)

Its easily removable for hunting or if you decide to just take it off. Loosen the two set screws and unscrew it. Can be tuned by the same method. I thought it looked pretty cool on the right weapon.

Not to harsh your groove -

While I understand that the vid is trying to convey that the brake is so good that even little kids and non shooters can shoot an LA weapon with (presumably) factory ammo - no one here cares.

What people here are interested in is muzzle rise / dust signature / weight / how it stacks up to brakes that are in common usage for folks with similar interest.

Also tell us more about the attachment - compression fit from 2 bolts? Does it come loose? How many rounds have you shot to say it doesn't? Do you need to loktite the bolts? Does it mar the finish on the muzzle?

And the biggy - what if any impact does it have on accuracy?

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell.... </div></div>

+1000....Sorry, I believe in supporting "Made in the USA" but, cosmetically...
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell.... </div></div>

+1000....Sorry, I believe in supporting "Made in the USA" but, cosmetically...
sick.gif
</div></div>

Amen, I know plenty of fat chicks "made in the USA" but I'm not gonna date them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell....</div></div>

Its easily removable for hunting or if you decide to just take it off. Loosen the two set screws and unscrew it. Can be tuned by the same method. I thought it looked pretty cool on the right weapon.
</div></div>

Nah, those JP brakes are works of art. This thing however.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RustyT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell....</div></div>

</div></div>

Nah, those JP brakes are works of art. This thing however......... </div></div>

JP, work of art? Seriously? you have got to be kidding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RustyT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell....</div></div>

</div></div>

Nah, those JP brakes are works of art. This thing however......... </div></div>

JP, work of art? Seriously? you have got to be kidding. </div></div>

"Works of Art" is a matter of opinion. You ever heard of Piss Christ? Some sicko thought that was art. Check out the GAP Titan, now that's a good looking break. But hey to each his own and if it works as good as you say, he should have no problem selling them!!!

Mo_Zam_Beek said:
Not to harsh your groove -

While I understand that the vid is trying to convey that the brake is so good that even little kids and non shooters can shoot an LA weapon with (presumably) factory ammo - no one here cares.

What people here are interested in is muzzle rise / dust signature / weight / how it stacks up to brakes that are in common usage for folks with similar interest.

Also tell us more about the attachment - compression fit from 2 bolts? Does it come loose? How many rounds have you shot to say it doesn't? Do you need to loktite the bolts? Does it mar the finish on the muzzle?

And the biggy - what if any impact does it have on accuracy?

Good luck [/quote

You are 100% correct on what any real shooter will care about. Just because I have only made a few posts on this forum in no way means i have no experience as a rifleman. Your questions EXACTLY address the reason this brake was developed. It was NOT made to be pretty, it was made to be effective. The first thing addressed in the design was dust signature or direction of blowback. The ports are angled as to direct gases back and up away from the shooter and the ground. Secondly, the angle of the ports virtualy eliminate muzzle jump. The video is very amateur, only to show anyone can shoot large magnum loads. It has been shot with many variations of hand loads and on .300 Weatherby Mag, .300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem, 30-06, 7mm Lazaroni Firebird and .300 Lazaroni Warbird with great success. The weight on the Titanium brake is under 4 oz. The accuracy was in no way negatively affected by the brake and does NOT have to be caliber specific as the bullet never touches the brake. Accuracy actualy should improve with much less recoil and more importantly almost no muzzle rise. This brake was several years in the making before it was ever sold to anyone. The designer is a very skilled engineer and long time long range enthusiast. He has shot several thousand rounds thru quite a few versions of the brake in the last 3 years of testing. Like i said in an earlier post, i am only trying to help him get the word out. I dont sell them or work for him. Ill be happy to answer any other questions as best i can. This shouldnt be turned into a bash fest. I thought this would be a great forum to spread the word in. Cosmetics really shouldn`t matter for someone truly interested in performance.

Nah, those JP brakes are works of art. This thing however......... [/quote]

JP, work of art? Seriously? you have got to be kidding. [/quote]

"Works of Art" is a matter of opinion. You ever heard of Piss Christ? Some sicko thought that was art. Check out the GAP Titan, now that's a good looking break. But hey to each his own and if it works as good as you say, he should have no problem selling them!!! [/quote]

I have some experience with Hart rifles and Lazaroni`s as well. Those are works of art with awesome brakes installed. The issues with those brakes is the dust signature and noise. The noise is unacceptable for hunting and the dust signature is awful on any round brakes that ive seen. The gap titan seems to address that issue but most do not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cast??? probably would be more effective if it was more caliber specific. </div></div>

Yes, it is titanium cast and then the ports are machined. Does not need to be caliber specific as the bullet never touches the brake at any point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. This shouldnt be turned into a bash fest. I thought this would be a great forum to spread the word in. Cosmetics really shouldn`t matter for someone truly interested in performance.

</div></div>

That wasn't me bashing on you or the brake. I am just saying - the issues I mentioned are what important. Shooting prone, in the dirt, with a background that shows the view how much the rifle rises vertically and or laterally, how much dust, how it mounts, does it mar, how it stacks up against competitors brakes, yada de yada

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cast??? probably would be more effective if it was more caliber specific. </div></div>

Yes, it is titanium cast and then the ports are machined. Does not need to be caliber specific as the bullet never touches the brake at any point.
</div></div>

are you sure it is machined? you can clearly see casting marks in the ports themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Ice 308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ugly as hell... </div></div>

Yea no joke

I like the idea of a cast titanium brake. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it meant for a threaded barrel and the clamp is just to keep it "timed"?

2. You mentioned that the maker has done years of research, however, DOD has basically universally found that any well designed brake over 3 ports is just adding weight, and even 3 is pushing it really. Was his research done through his own experimentation or does he have some literature I don't have and would he be willing to share it (literature) with a student of small arms design like myself?

3. DOD studies and some fairly recent experimentation by an avid shooter (article posted on 6mmbr.com) shows that there is an optimum position and size for the baffles for both accuracy and efficiency of the brake, this position is caliber dependent. How does his brake perform being a caliber universal brake, i.e. is it's accuracy fine for fieldwork or was there really zero increase in shot dispersion with the brake installed (firing from a fixture or equivalent)?

Thanks,
Justin

I think this is really interesting. Looking forward to your response to Massoud's questions.

I don't get the objections to it being unsightly. How often to do people say about their rifles, optics etc 'it's just a tool'. If so, then who cares as long as it does what it says on the tin...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. This shouldnt be turned into a bash fest. I thought this would be a great forum to spread the word in. Cosmetics really shouldn`t matter for someone truly interested in performance.

</div></div>

That wasn't me bashing on you or the brake. I am just saying - the issues I mentioned are what important. Shooting prone, in the dirt, with a background that shows the view how much the rifle rises vertically and or laterally, how much dust, how it mounts, does it mar, how it stacks up against competitors brakes, yada de yada

Good luck </div></div>

I addressed your concerns with Cornell this morning. Those are definitely points that need to be addressed, preferably on video. We have had tons of rain lately in NC. Just as soon as things dry out I will get with him and shoot some video. As for marring, the only thing done to the barrel is 5/8"-18 threads. The brake will not move as it fits very snug. Actualy takes a wrench to completely tighten over the threads.As for muzzle movement, there is very little. I think a new video specifically addressing your questions would be the best way. His website will eventually have much more info,pics and videos. Thanks for the inquiry.

Thats my opinion as well. Mo_zam_beek has very real concerns,no doubt. Those were the exact things I asked when I first talked with Cornell about using the brake. His website addresses a few of the questions, however , seeing is believing.I will work on a better video as soon as weather permits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of a cast titanium brake. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it meant for a threaded barrel and the clamp is just to keep it "timed"?

2. You mentioned that the maker has done years of research, however, DOD has basically universally found that any well designed brake over 3 ports is just adding weight, and even 3 is pushing it really. Was his research done through his own experimentation or does he have some literature I don't have and would he be willing to share it (literature) with a student of small arms design like myself?

3. DOD studies and some fairly recent experimentation by an avid shooter (article posted on 6mmbr.com) shows that there is an optimum position and size for the baffles for both accuracy and efficiency of the brake, this position is caliber dependent. How does his brake perform being a caliber universal brake, i.e. is it's accuracy fine for fieldwork or was there really zero increase in shot dispersion with the brake installed (firing from a fixture or equivalent)?

Thanks,
Justin </div></div>

Justin, These are questions that a little over my head. Give me a day or two to address these with Cornell and get his response.

The question of the clamp, I can answer. The brake mounts very snug and the clamp is used for tuning and added security against loosening. I dont think its very likely the brake would loosen over any amount of shooting though.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VjjR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cast??? probably would be more effective if it was more caliber specific. </div></div>

</div></div>

are you sure it is machined? you can clearly see casting marks in the ports themselves. </div></div>

The owner told me he did additional machining after receiving it back from the foundary. I will confirm that. Its possible he just cleaned the ports and machined the clamp and threads. Im not the designer, just trying to help him out as he isnt very computer forum savvy.

thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for marring, the only thing done to the barrel is 5/8"-18 threads. The brake will not move as it fits very snug. </div></div>

Tell him if he wants to sell more that he should change his thread pattern to 5/8-24 as that is one of the most common thread patterns people thread their rifles for for cans and brakes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for marring, the only thing done to the barrel is 5/8"-18 threads. The brake will not move as it fits very snug. </div></div>

Tell him if he wants to sell more that he should change his thread pattern to 5/8-24 as that is one of the most common thread patterns people thread their rifles for for cans and brakes. </div></div>

Isnt that the same thread pattern on most AR`s? He did make one for AR but its not nearly as efficient on .223. Havent tested one on larger caliber AR as we dont have access to one yet. Maybe a good idea to change pattern to 5/8-24.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What alloy of Titanium is he using? </div></div>

Ill get you an answer on this today or tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EwrOxDq8k&feature=player_embedded

Here is another video of the brake in use. There are a couple of shooters in prone. It gives a little better look at the muzzle on a couple of standing shooters as well. This video was done mostly for the effect of recoil and muzzle rise. There are some leaves around the prone shooter, this gives a little bit of an idea whats happening on blowback. Directed up and away from the shooter. No blowback in front of field of view.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for marring, the only thing done to the barrel is 5/8"-18 threads. The brake will not move as it fits very snug. </div></div>

Tell him if he wants to sell more that he should change his thread pattern to 5/8-24 as that is one of the most common thread patterns people thread their rifles for for cans and brakes. </div></div>

Isnt that the same thread pattern on most AR`s? He did make one for AR but its not nearly as efficient on .223. Havent tested one on larger caliber AR as we dont have access to one yet. Maybe a good idea to change pattern to 5/8-24.
</div></div>

No most .223 ARs are 1/2-28. Most up to .30 no matter bolt or semi are 5/8-24. There are other thread paterns used of course but for his target buyers a 5/8-24 pattern would be the right choice. Look at other screw on brkes and cans.

Rob01, The brakes are available in 5/8-24 also. As long as its 5/8, Cornell said any thread size is available. He was comfortable with 5/8-18 on his rifle as they were not quite as fine as the 24. That was a good point to make on thread size.

Massoud (Justin),

As for your questions earlier on design. "When I first started to plan the design of the Delta Brake, I wanted something noone else had. I believe in thinking outside the box. My original design worked so well with 5 ports that i decided to add one more. This effectively reduced muzzle flash even further. As the brake is made primarily for .280 to .300 caliber, this is the caliber range that performs best. I found zero increase in shot dispersion and was actually able to achieve a 3 shot 1/2 MOA group at 100yds with my 300 WBY Mag and hand loads.This was better than I could achieve prior to adding the brake."-Cornell Drajan

Total weight is as follows.
Titanium Delta Brake-116 grams
Steel Delta Brake-200 grams

I will post the type of Titanium Alloy as soon as I find out for sure.

Kenny

When you get that threading sorted out I will be giving your buddy a call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it does tame the recoil but that thing is ugly as hell.... </div></div>

That statement is what is wrong with so many numbnuts out there. More worried about their gear and guns being pretty than functional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Duh! I really hope no bullet ever touches a brake. However if the brake is closer to the bullet diameter(around .02" on average larger than the bullet) the brake is more effective at wicking off the expanding gases traveling in the bullets path and turning them in a different direction, thus reducing recoil. Thats all I was saying. However By the looks of the inconsistencies in those ports they look to be casted as well, Obviously the bore and threads are machined, but by the waves inside the ports you can tell they are not.

Maybe i shouldve stated better at the OP that i was only passing along information. I am a shooting enthusiast,not an engineer,lol. As I stated earlier, the brake is cast and has internal chambers, different than most other brakes. I wasnt implying you were a dummy by any means. Im sure you know much more than myself about the shooting game. The brake was primarily designed for .280 to .300 caliber. It will function, IF NEEDED AND REQUESTED, to different calibers up to .340. This would require additional machining to enlarge the exit hole. Most of the testing was performed with these two calibers.

thanks

Kenny, maybe it's time to have the guy who has something at stake to chime in. If you ain't the designer/maker/owner, and he knows about the research he has done, continuing to leave him out of the conversation is only pushing potential customers away from his product.

I understand that you are trying to help.

It ain't helping.

Rather than continue quoting some other guy, why not get him online to make his case.

Business, like trust, is something you earn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe i shouldve stated better at the OP that i was only passing along information. I am a shooting enthusiast,not an engineer,lol. As I stated earlier, the brake is cast and has internal <span style="color: #CC0000">baffles</span>, different than most other brakes. I wasnt implying you were a dummy by any means. Im sure you know much more than myself about the shooting game. The brake was primarily designed for .280 to .300 caliber. It will function, IF NEEDED AND REQUESTED, to different calibers up to .340. This would require additional machining to enlarge the exit hole. Most of the testing was performed with these two calibers.

thanks
</div></div>

be VERY careful in using that word.....that is a quick way to have the BATFE looking at this as a can.

ok, wrong word , you are right. i guess chambers is a much better description. It is in NO way a can or any type of noise reduction device. Just to clarify.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kenny, maybe it's time to have the guy who has something at stake to chime in. If you ain't the designer/maker/owner, and he knows about the research he has done, continuing to leave him out of the conversation is only pushing potential customers away from his product.

It ain't helping.

Rather than continue quoting some other guy, why not get him online to make his case.

Business, like trust, is something you earn. </div></div>

If i had any idea this many questions would be directed on this forum, i probably wouldnt have even answered the first one. There is a link to his website in the earlier post. He has a contact section with a valid email. Cornell WILL answer any and all inquiries that are sent. I never really intended to get this deep into the discussion. As agreed, i will post what type of alloy is being used. I will also post a link to the next video when it is completed. In time, ALL of this info will be on his website anyway. If you have any more questions for me, i guess its better to just send me a pm. Thanks

Kenny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kenny, maybe it's time to have the guy who has something at stake to chime in. If you ain't the designer/maker/owner, and he knows about the research he has done, continuing to leave him out of the conversation is only pushing potential customers away from his product.

It ain't helping.

Business, like trust, is something you earn. </div></div>

If i had any idea this many questions would be directed on this forum, i probably wouldnt have even answered the first one. There is a link to his website in the earlier post. He has a contact section with a valid email. Cornell WILL answer any and all inquiries that are sent. I never really intended to get this deep into the discussion. As agreed, i will post what type of alloy is being used. I will also post a link to the next video when it is completed. In time, ALL of this info will be on his website anyway. If you have any more questions for me, i guess its better to just send me a pm. Thanks

Kenny
</div></div>

I would think that as an owner/operator he would want to come on here to answer the questions personally. Why answer each question to one indavidual when he could put the answer out to the whole community. Exspecially this particular community where first impressions are so hard to overcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KennyH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The brake was primarily designed for .280 to .300 caliber. It will function, IF NEEDED AND REQUESTED, to different calibers up to .340. This would require additional machining to enlarge the exit hole. Most of the testing was performed with these two calibers.

thanks
</div></div>

Alright I got ya now

Business, like trust, is something you earn. [/quote]

Kenny
[/quote]

I would think that as an owner/operator he would want to come on here to answer the questions personally. Why answer each question to one indavidual when he could put the answer out to the whole community. Exspecially this particular community where first impressions are so hard to overcome. [/quote]

Im sure he will be happy to answer questions. He is new to internet forums. I offered to help him out. We assumed individual questions would be the norm. However, it appears this would be an outstanding forum for him to answer questions on. I will get with him and help him out on a new profile so he can post.