• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range shooting and building a 260 Remington

S4cruiser

Private
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2013
Durham, NC
A year or so ago, a friend took me out to Butner, NC for a long range match and I caught the bug! Since then, I've been accumulating parts for a 260. Gunsmith work is completed and picking it up tomorrow.

Being built by Joel at Pendergraft Gun Works
Defiance Rebel action
Defiance Machine bottom metal
Brux barrel - 26" finished length SS 1:8.5 twist #5 contour fluted
Jewel HVRTS-A trigger
Bell and Carlson tactical A5 stock
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 Zerostop NPR-1

I'm still not sure about ring heights for the glass. I'm planning to go with Seekins rings, just not sure on height. The build should be ready for for me to pickup next week and I can measure then.

Thoughts on heights...I read the post that Glen commented on and looks like a #5 contour is on the high side of low rings and the low side of medium height rings.

I'll be getting into reloading soon, but my smith has a stock of 260 hand loads he no longer needs (sold is 260) that will get me started.

Pics once I pickup the rifle this week.

Sounds like a good build to me. Good luck finding brass, unless you buy Lapua or decide to reform .243, 7mm-08 or maybe some .308 with possibly some neck turning. Don't get me wrong here, but I would've pick a different stock. The stock you have will do the job, but I had one and just didn't like the looks of the forearm. Unless you get creative like some that recontoured it to a slimmer profile. But that's just me. Most of all, have fun with it.

Eta; I have rifles with the m24, m40 contour and has used TPS low rings with no problems with that same scope. Those rings are .815" from base to center of scope.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good build to me. Good luck finding brass, unless you buy Lapua or decide to reform .243, 7mm-08 or maybe some .308 with possibly some neck turning. Don't get me wrong here, but I would've pick a different stock. The stock you have will do the job, but I had one and just didn't like the looks of the forearm. Unless you get creative like some that recontoured it to a slimmer profile. But that's just me. Most of all, have fun with it.

Eta; I have rifles with the m24, m40 contour and has used TPS low rings with no problems with that same scope. Those rings are .815" from base to center of scope.

I plan to purchase Lapua in the beginning. If I had to do it over I would've chosen a different stock, but oh well. It should look ok. My choice would've been a JAE, but we all know about the wait times there.

For ring height, I don't think that you need to agonize over it too long. While some people feel compelled to bring the rings down to within a paper's thickness of the barrel, it is not necessary and you really won't suffer if your scope bell sets an 1/8" (gasp!) off the barrel. That said, you should probably be well served using the medium height Seekins rings.

If you are still too worried about it, wait until your get your rifle in hand and then go visit the sticky that AF_TT posted the link to above.

Good luck, as soon you will be enjoying the heck out of a great rifle in a great round. Don't think about it now, but you WILL be spending a bunch more, now that you are hooked. And don't sweat the small stuff. .260 rounds and components are not as hard to find as some would have you think. Just do your homework and enjoy the ride.

The low rings will work fine, and still leave some decent clearance.

They'll usually clear a 56mm obj. No problem clearing a 50mm.

I plan to purchase Lapua in the beginning. If I had to do it over I would've chosen a different stock, but oh well. It should look ok. My choice would've been a JAE, but we all know about the wait times there.

That stock is rock solid. Setting looks aside, it will perform as well as any out there. The forearm is incredibly stiff and we have won many F-class matches with it. Shoot it before forming any opinions.

Regarding the looks, I never thought it was all that pretty, but I am still surprised at all the people who stop by at a match and say what a nice-looking stock it is....go figure:)

Hopefully will have a chance to shoot this guy later in the week.

14461110363_ea8d02232c_b.jpg

14452973124_571a7e7a9a_b.jpg

14474257023_af2bca7bf7_b.jpg

14454090875_1bfa6e1a24_b.jpg

Oh yeah, I'd love to! Actually like the elements chassis but not sure if the defiance action would fit??

Also, money is getting a little tight after building this and a LR308...

Oh yeah, I'd love to! Actually like the elements chassis but not sure if the defiance action would fit??

Also, money is getting a little tight after building this and a LR308...

Depends on which Rebel you bought. Defiance sells them in two lengths, one is a standard Remington footprint and the other is abou .250 longer in the barrel tenon. If yours dropped into that stock it's the Remington 700 footprint and it will fit in any stoc designed for a Remington.