• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

new trigger for rem 700 .308

Country DeVil

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Co
I am looking for a new trigger for my rem 700 .308

I saw that timney has a tactical trigger that is a strait post at at 10 oz pull. is 10oz too light?

if I dont go with the timney what should I look at?

I do a lot of hog hunting both real and metal.

Re: new trigger for rem 700 .308

I realized that if you have a crisp trigger a #2 pull is as good to me as a crappy 10 oz trigger. Do a little research and you will find a great trigger for what you want. Little fyi 10 oz is way too little for hunting IMHO. Shooting steel it's fine, but hunting it's not safe.

Edit: don't get me wrong I'm not saying timney is a bad trigger at all just stating the fact that a good trigger with a safe weight is what I go for in my hunting/tactical rifle. And me I prefer the Jewell. Hasn't failed me yet, but it's failed others.

10 oz? Wow. I have a Timney trigger on my 300 WM. Love it no complaint. I have mine set at 3 lbs. FWIW, too light of a trigger pull can be a disaster waiting to happen. Be safe.

Hunting rigs shouldn't have light triggers period... dangerous

Not how true this is but Ive heard light light triggers increase the chance of a slam fire occuring? That shits scary!

2.5lb is a good weight for a trigger thats to be used for hunting. Even 3lb

Options are

- Modified remington trigger in both the old or xmark models. The old models are still considered excellent when modified.
- Timney Triggers
- Jewell Triggers
- Rifle basix triggers
- CG Jackson Triggers

im sure there are more out there but those are the main contenders.

Im looking into a CG Jackson tactical trigger for my .308... looks sweet!

I'll add my voice to those saying that 10 oz triggers are unsafe in the hunting fields. Great on the range but too light for field or woods use. For hunting, a 2-3 pound trigger is better.

im planning on getting a timney trigger for my hunting/range remington.. set at 2.5lbs

im not getting the straight bar tactical... just there regular trigger

Ive installed and set a few of the Timmney Tactical triggers and I really think they are great. They can be seat as low as 10 oz or even lower but they can also be set to an upwards of 3lb or so. Get that trigger set at around 2.5 lbs and you'll love it for hunting as well as target shooting.

2-3 pounds is great for all around...

2-32oz belongs on a bench rifle.

Rifle Basix makes a great 700 trigger and they have three models I believe that cover different ranges of adjustment...