• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW XRS Chassis from MDT - Crossover Rifle Stock

Look what came a day earlier than expected:

Only spent a half hour unboxing and doing a quick fit test with my Howa BA and the cheek piece, LOP and grip -- I'm slammed with work tonight and all day tomorrow but will spend a little more time with it tomorrow night and Thursday. Will get it set up properly this weekend and then heading off to shoot it next week on vacation.
IMG-9472.jpg

IMG-9474.jpg

IMG-9476.jpg

IMG-9477.jpg

IMG-9479.jpg

IMG-9480.jpg

IMG-9481.jpg

Initial thoughts:

1) color is great and rubber surfaces are nicely tactile.
2) it's a noticably heftier/more solid feel than the KRG Bravo, especially the polymer.
3) the barrel channel is a cavern: you could fit a cannon in that thing and it would free float.
4) a 26" barrel with a Little Bastard on the end is quite barrel-heavy; I'd be interested in some heavy/steel LOP spacers for balance.
5) after spending over a year putting this rifle together I can't wait to shoot it!

Looks good. I'm curious if you experience any magazine feeding problems. Hopefully MDT has worked that out. Thats been my only gripe about the XRS.

Looks good. I'm curious if you experience any magazine feeding problems. Hopefully MDT has worked that out. Thats been my only gripe about the XRS.

Me too. This is my biggest concern and it seems weirdly hit or miss (across multiple MDT chassis models and even the KRG Bravo) for something that I would think would be fairly standardized as fits-or-doesn’t.

I’ll be trying Magpul mags first as I generally love them in all my other platforms and they seem to have to most positive experiences from Howa owners.

Been getting my ass kicked at work today (WFH) and every couple of hours I turn around and fondle it and feel a little better 🤣 You can’t outrun me forever, weekend!

Hey @Islas82 Maybe you can try to use Rit dye in grey, kind of like what this guy did with his FDE Bravo. It’s just a thought anyway, maybe @MDT_Josh or @MDT_OFFICIAL can share a thought on whether the stuff used to make the MDT polymer parts is the same type of material used to make the Bravo polymer parts., or if it will take a dye.

Hey @Islas82 Maybe you can try to use Rit dye in grey, kind of like what this guy did with his FDE Bravo. It’s just a thought anyway, maybe @MDT_Josh or @MDT_OFFICIAL can share a thought on whether the stuff used to make the MDT polymer parts is the same type of material used to make the Bravo polymer parts., or if it will take a dye.

wow that could actually work and the results look great! Thank you

Reactions: Macman25
You are welcome. I hope it works out for you. I think the FDE will work better as your base. The black would be too dark and the grey would turn out too dark i think. If you do decide to do it, post up some pics. There are some good details in that other post, maybe you could do a step by step post even.

Last edited:

It should take a dye, no idea on the KRG part. But any plastic compatible paint will also do!

Reactions: Macman25
In that thread they did say that it would work on an Oryx, which has a similar polymer composition to the XRS so.... :unsure: Before today I have never heard of "Rit Dye" this is all new to me.

Josh

I guess anyone that knew someone in the Navy 20+ year ago would be very familiar with Rit Dye. My mother used to use it to keep my father's dungarees from being too faded (back when sailors wore dungarees). She'd just pour it into the washing machine with water and a load of my father's dungarees, and voila! They came out looking nice and blue again.

Everyone else just used it for adding color to home anodizing aluminum (with widely varying results), or for tie dye hippie cloths and t-shirts.

Since we were on the lower end of the income bracket back then, as kids, Mom used it on our toughskins pants (after patching the knees). The color faded long before the material gave on clothes back then...hmmm...I think I'm dating myself....

@MDT_Josh , glad you learned something new today, I did as well in regards to different polymer compositions for different parts. Hence my question about different mfgs using same type polymers or not. Thank You.
@MarinePMI , I learned about rit dye like you, from my mom "renewing" my sears jeans. That lesson came in handy when I was in the Navy as you said, it helped "renew" my dungarees. Old times, good times.

Look what came a day earlier than expected:

Only spent a half hour unboxing and doing a quick fit test with my Howa BA and the cheek piece, LOP and grip -- I'm slammed with work tonight and all day tomorrow but will spend a little more time with it tomorrow night and Thursday. Will get it set up properly this weekend and then heading off to shoot it next week on vacation.View attachment 7391526

View attachment 7391528

View attachment 7391530

View attachment 7391531

View attachment 7391533

View attachment 7391534

View attachment 7391535

Initial thoughts:

1) color is great and rubber surfaces are nicely tactile.
2) it's a noticably heftier/more solid feel than the KRG Bravo, especially the polymer.
3) the barrel channel is a cavern: you could fit a cannon in that thing and it would free float.
4) a 26" barrel with a Little Bastard on the end is quite barrel-heavy; I'd be interested in some heavy/steel LOP spacers for balance.
5) after spending over a year putting this rifle together I can't wait to shoot it!
How many mlok slots on the bottom of the stock? Wondering is a area 419 12” arca rail will fit.

How many mlok slots on the bottom of the stock? Wondering is a area 419 12” arca rail will fit.

Five full ones and a half one at the end (the sling stud mount takes up about half of it but it’s integral so you can’t non-permanently remove it — you can see how it’s partially filled-in in the pic).

Front edge of the receiver is exactly 12.5” from the end of the chassis and the back edge of the first mlok opening is 2.5” from the front of the barricade stop.

1596914407958.jpeg

That’s on the Howa version btw.

That black part is just anodized aluminum, no polymer panels. Outside edge to outside edge of the mlok slots (including the halfie at the forend) is just a hair under 9.25”

I’m debating an arca rail myself but that’ll be a later thing anyway. Can’t wait to get this all set up tomorrow and shoot it next week!

Reactions: Islas82
That’s on the Howa version btw.

That black part is just anodized aluminum, no polymer panels. Outside edge to outside edge of the mlok slots (including the halfie at the forend) is just a hair under 9.25”

I’m debating an arca rail myself but that’ll be a later thing anyway. Can’t wait to get this all set up tomorrow and shoot it next week!
Thank you!

Reactions: stilesg57
I guess anyone that knew someone in the Navy 20+ year ago would be very familiar with Rit Dye. My mother used to use it to keep my father's dungarees from being too faded (back when sailors wore dungarees). She'd just pour it into the washing machine with water and a load of my father's dungarees, and voila! They came out looking nice and blue again.

Everyone else just used it for adding color to home anodizing aluminum (with widely varying results), or for tie dye hippie cloths and t-shirts.

Since we were on the lower end of the income bracket back then, as kids, Mom used it on our toughskins pants (after patching the knees). The color faded long before the material gave on clothes back then...hmmm...I think I'm dating myself....
I resemble those remarks.

And those worn-in dungarees were the most comfortable of any of the uniforms I wore, to include the various coveralls.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Considering getting another ACC... are you guys planning any significant updates or an improved version or can I pull the trigger on one?

Josh, I couldn't tell by visiting the site. Are any of the other MDT chassis cheek piece interchangeable with the XRS?

Josh, I couldn't tell by visiting the site. Are any of the other MDT chassis cheek piece interchangeable with the XRS?

This is a good question and I'll have to look into this for you. I am not sure we've been asked this before, so let's see!

After looking into it; no, the XRS cheekriser has different hole spacing than the SRS and SCS buttstocks. If you'd like to see a specific type of cheekriser on the XRS though, be sure to let us know :D

Josh

Josh,

Would there be the possibility in the future to accommodate a height and cant adjustable recoil pad on the XRS platform or should I look at a chassis that uses the SRS instead?

My XRS in FDE arrived this week for my Tikka T3 CTR.

Super happy with the product, this is the first time I have upgraded from a factory stock on a bolt action

Only issue I had is that I couldn't get my Toque wrench in to tighten the action screws. So I don't know if I got it to the correct torque specification. Just tightened it as much as I could.

Loving the FDE color and the vertical grip that's included

My XRS in FDE arrived this week for my Tikka T3 CTR.

Super happy with the product, this is the first time I have upgraded from a factory stock on a bolt action

Only issue I had is that I couldn't get my Toque wrench in to tighten the action screws. So I don't know if I got it to the correct torque specification. Just tightened it as much as I could.

Loving the FDE color and the vertical grip that's included

Awesome to hear.

If you have a multi bit screw driver with 1/4" drive hex bits, that will give you some length to get down in there to be able to use your torque wrench.

Reactions: momo_
I have not seen these at matches yet, how are people liking these? I'm asking because I'm thinking about ditching my bravo and going to an MDT

So I am looking at the XRS for my Howa 1500 SA. Once I burn through this barrel, is there enough room to clear a Howage barrel but system without having to grind on the stock? I have been looking for pictures looking down in that area but haven’t seen any close up.
Thank in advance,
Jarrod

So I am looking at the XRS for my Howa 1500 SA. Once I burn through this barrel, is there enough room to clear a Howage barrel but system without having to grind on the stock? I have been looking for pictures looking down in that area but haven’t seen any close up.
Thank in advance,
Jarrod
As long as the barrel nut does not exceed the size of the action you will be good to go!

Im loving this xrs!
1601922467310.png

Went with the 419 arca rail because mdt was out at the time but I really like it. Im not fighting my wrist trying to hold it like I was on the bravos overly fat grip.

I got mine back from the smith and really like how it turned out. 26" Hardy carbon in 7SAUM on a R700 SA. Load dev is done and dope verified. I think I might have to shop around for a replacement scope over the winter though, prob either a Mk5 3.6-18 or NX8 2.5-20. The 4.5-18 LRTS is kind of the weak link when I go to ELR distances (1500, 1600). I didn't want to put a bigger, heavier scope on like my match rifles and dedicated ELR rig but the LRTS doesn't have enough elevation to dial out past 1450 or so. Not a big deal for most of the use this rifle will see (hunting/long range hunting) but a bit annoying.

lmF3kj9.jpg

duIZDxy.jpg

2W91nAI.jpg

Last edited:
I just installed my XRS chassis on my Savage model 12. I will post pics and all when I get my M lok screws to mount my ARCA rail. Question though, can the screw holes for the rear sling studs be used to mount the MDT bag rider attachment? I would find a bag rider attachment more useful then the cut out in the rear stock. Just curious

I just installed my XRS chassis on my Savage model 12. I will post pics and all when I get my M lok screws to mount my ARCA rail. Question though, can the screw holes for the rear sling studs be used to mount the MDT bag rider attachment? I would find a bag rider attachment more useful then the cut out in the rear stock. Just curious

Good Question and I didn't know the answer to this one so I did some quick checking. The answer is no unfortunately. The "Bolt On - Aluminum" bag rider would have been your best bet, however, due to the angle on the bag rider and the lack of angle on the XRS buttstock, there would be a mismatch and the screws would not thread in. Right now we do not have a solution to bridge the gap in the bottom of the XRS buttstock, but I can add that to our to-do list if there is enough requests :)

Josh

Reactions: Jevaughn0823
Good Question and I didn't know the answer to this one so I did some quick checking. The answer is no unfortunately. The "Bolt On - Aluminum" bag rider would have been your best bet, however, due to the angle on the bag rider and the lack of angle on the XRS buttstock, there would be a mismatch and the screws would not thread in. Right now we do not have a solution to bridge the gap in the bottom of the XRS buttstock, but I can add that to our to-do list if there is enough requests :)

Josh

Thanks Josh, I appreciate your interest!

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I saw people talking about the barrel channel, this gives you an idea of the contours this barrel channel can accommodate. So far I am loving this stock, but I have not taken it to the range yet, hope to Saturday. I will say this thing does not flex, period, rock solid. A couple things I would love to see would be screw holes for an optional thumb rest on the side of the stock instead of having to rest your thumb on the top, and also as I mentioned an optional bag rider. But I am highly impressed as to the amount of quality you get for your buck with this chassis/stock. Awesome job MDT!

I saw people talking about the barrel channel, this gives you an idea of the contours this barrel channel can accommodate. So far I am loving this stock, but I have not taken it to the range yet, hope to Saturday. I will say this thing does not flex, period, rock solid. A couple things I would love to see would be screw holes for an optional thumb rest on the side of the stock instead of having to rest your thumb on the top, and also as I mentioned an optional bag rider. But I am highly impressed as to the amount of quality you get for your buck with this chassis/stock. Awesome job MDT!

Thank you for the feedback, the XRS is new for us so we will see what other items become available for it!

Thanks MDT, absolutely love this chassis...wow what a difference. I bought one anyways and took some pics.

Attachments

• BA71BFAD-148B-4A84-862F-E8116AE72756.jpeg
    BA71BFAD-148B-4A84-862F-E8116AE72756.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 324F7560-0E83-4083-9D06-FE32AA56BB65.jpeg
    324F7560-0E83-4083-9D06-FE32AA56BB65.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 126
Is anyone running weights on their XRS?

Are their any interior weight options available at this time?
There are M-Lok slots on the sides, which allows the use of M-Lok exterior weights. Nothing for the barrel channel at this time.

I know @MDT_Josh has stated the long actions are not currently in the works but when it is will they be for the 3.7 mags only or possible for the 3.8? Looking to build a 300 prc and don’t really want acc weight when I love the xrs fde I have a SA on currently

I know @MDT_Josh has stated the long actions are not currently in the works but when it is will they be for the 3.7 mags only or possible for the 3.8? Looking to build a 300 prc and don’t really want acc weight when I love the xrs fde I have a SA on currently

Looking into this now and we'll have answers for you in the next little while.

Josh

Reactions: b2lee
Right now we are still seeing how much demand there is, make sure you leave us a request!

How about a CNC program to cut the left hand notch and safety cutout as an option to a new plastic injection mold ?
Tooling to hold the stock and machine time has to be less costly than a new mold.