• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Newer isn't always better...... Right? Nightforce 2.5x10x32 vs 2.5-10x42 for SPR 556

Rhinomax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2010
Georgia
Rifle is a Larue 18 inch Obr 556 lite. Will be shooting animals and targets/plates up to 600 yards give or take.

So I just pulled the trigger on a 2.5-10x32 nxs w/ zero stop. Tell me I made the right decision. I went back and forth on getting the new 2.5-10x42 and not the 32. I felt like the side parallax would be great on the new 42mm on a light weight hunting bolt gun but not an SPR 556. One thing that concerned me was the difference in light gathering ability between the two. From what I have been told there is a small difference but only VERY little.

I actually spoke to a few guys I respect and was told for the SPR 556 the 32mm is still the one to have.

Thoughts?????

Either way it is paid for and in the mail.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.......

Rhino

From the "whatever it's worth" department, I think you chose wisely for 5.56mm SPR. IMHO and YMMV.

I think you made the right decision. The 2.5-10x32 is just more streamlined. Should be perfect for that platform.

I don't think you made a bad decision. I have the 2.5-10X42 on my 18" SPR though and love it. I have used the x32 on a AR and it was a good fit also. I was in the market for a new scope and wanted maximum light for hunting purposes and I like the new features of the x42. I had the option for either so I went with the newer one.

Last edited:
I have the NF x32 on my SPR and love it. You made the right choice.

You can't go wrong with hardly any NF but I wouldn't have bought the 32mm over the 42mm. The adjustable parallax is a advantage to me at any distance as well as the larger exit pupil and the power throw lever. I really don't care much about the new illumination system, the old one works just fine.

After I get another F1 for the AI AT I have on order my next purchase is a 2.5-10x42 MRAD ZS MIL-R for my KAC LPR.

I went with the NF x32 and like it. I don't miss the adjustable parallax, don't think I'm missing out on too much brightness/light gathering and are saving a hair of weight/size. You'll be happy with it for your intended purpose.

Dude, you're just looking for justification. I'm not that guy.

You bought an older model with less features. I hope you got a discount.

The people that make it tout it as a product improvement that has features users requested be added to the current model. That tells me something.

Can anyone comment on the how much the exit pupil affects the eyebox and the speed of target acquisition between the two? Obviously it should be better on the 42mm, but is it worth the cost increase? I think that is the real question for an SPR user. I haven't looked through either of these scopes, but for my LPR, I think I will be picking up the 42mm to get the better exit pupil.

Too often the "new, improved" is marketing crap.

For the application/rifle you described, it sounds good.

Redroan 45
If you speak to the people at nightforce they can answer your question. I actually called and asked before I bought it and the difference is much smaller then you would think. For the type of rifle it was going on the gentleman I spoke with actually said most of the guys there still like and run the 32mm for an AR. The 42mm is a great scope but really shines on a smaller/lighter long distance precision platform. The customer service I have experienced there over the past sev. years is really top notch. Most of the guys that answer the phone are hunters/shooters just like us and don't really sell or push you one way or the other. Just tell you what works for them and why.

When I get it mounted up I will post a few pics.

Rhino

The 42mm is a great scope but really shines on a smaller/lighter long distance precision platform.

I mean something like a Gap extreme hunter. Something for sheep hunting or back country pack hunting.

Can anyone comment on the how much the exit pupil affects the eyebox and the speed of target acquisition between the two? Obviously it should be better on the 42mm, but is it worth the cost increase? I think that is the real question for an SPR user. I haven't looked through either of these scopes, but for my LPR, I think I will be picking up the 42mm to get the better exit pupil.

The 42mm will have a 4.2mm exit pupil on 10x and the 32mm will have a 3.2mm exit pupil. That's 25% less which is pretty significant. Any time you have a larger exit pupil the eye box will be better. Go with the 42mm, there's no reason not to.

Too often the "new, improved" is marketing crap.

For the application/rifle you described, it sounds good.

I would agree if they made a cosmetic change and added $500 to the price. There are quite a few rather substantial feature changes other than the extra objective. That's only a part of it.

The Ocular Diameter of the x42 scope is 40mm vs 33mm on the 2.5-10 x 32 scope. This scope weights only 1.5 oz more yet is .100"of an inch shorter in length than the 2.5-10 x 32 scope. This scope is also 2" inches longer than the 2.5-10x24 NXS yet weights only 3.5 oz more. If the extra oz's of this scope are a deal breaker for anyone using it on an AR, I would recommend you look into getting one of the new super lite BCM rails and take back that 3.5 oz's of weight gain and then some. Also the eye box is much less critical than on the 24mm and 32mm objective lens scopes. They are all fine scopes, get whichever one works for you.

Nightforce 2.5-10x 42mm Scope - YouTube

Last edited: