Night Vision  night and morning, meteor shower

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2006
Oregon
( Geminid meteor shower ) . tonight threw morning dark hours .
Seen some good ones after midnight this morning with the NV . Dressed warm, leaned back in a lawn chair to make easy on the neck .

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Oh yeah, one of the hidden uses of NODs!

One of my favorite things to do at night when I had time to blow in the army was to watch the satellites and space station go overhead like clockwork. They really move. And the stars? Even with light pollution you can see so much more.

If you have NODs and haven't looked skyward on a dark night, you are truly missing out.

softcock

novice judgmental prick
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    It's been a great show here on the southwest side as well. Where were you viewing from?
    -
    West side of Oregon . For a change it was no rain . Had clear sky and crisp frosty cold . good timing on the Geminide as cloud ceiling moving back with rain tomorrow .

Over the years hunting at night . I have had the luck when set-up scanning or walking with the pvs14, to catch a couple Big single meteors burning-in with big long vapor/smoke trails behind .
    There was one meteor big enough and Close enough to my area, few years back on a silent calm late night out in the sticks hunting . That I swear I could hear it with my ears burning/crackling .

NV is a cool tool to have . couple times in the past .You could not see it in Oregon with naked eye . but with NV, it let me see the Aurora Borealis dancing . And also I used to sit out at night with the old raptor6 to add a little magnification .Time it to sit and catch one of the space stations gliding by across the night sky .