• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NightForce 2.5-10x, anything better in this price?

matt33

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2009
Bradford/Susquehanna Co, PA
I'm considering buying a NF 2.5-10x32mm MRAD with a low Velocity reticle for my 5.56mm Noveske Recon. I currently have a TA31A ACOG on this rifle, but I'd like to move that optic over to a 6920 and get something with more magnification for the Recon. Weight is a factor, and the 21 or so ounce NF is as heavy as I'd like to go. I'm also looking for something robust with solid, repeatable adjustments (S&B has spoiled me). I'm willing to pay up to $1,500 for this optic, but I certainly don't want to waste money. The NF looks like a good fit for me (precision out to 600 yards with the ability to perform inside of 25 yards in a pinch). I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Please share your input.

Re: NightForce 2.5-10x, anything better in this price?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.</div></div>Why limit the scope by getting a velocity reticle?

I don't have experience with that particular NFX scope, but I can say that my 5.5x-22x-50 is outstanding. The clarity is better than any of the other scopes that I have personally used (Unertl USMC 10x Fixed, Bushnell Elite 4200 3x-12x-42 Ill). I wish that I could say I have compared this to a Leopold, but I haven't looked through them both in the field (only in a store) and that's what matters most in my opinion. One thing not to overlook if the price of the Night Force rings. The rings for my 5.5x-22x-50 (30mm Low) were around $169.00. While I seem to remember paying just over $100.00 give or take $20.00. For some that price difference may not matter but other it may. Just something that may be overlooked in looking at cost. Good luck on you decision, and let us know what you get!

HOG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.</div></div>Why limit the scope by getting a velocity reticle? </div></div>

I agree, and recommend Mil-Dot or the NFX NPR1. You will likely shoot more than one bullet weight, and using these reticles you will be able to be more precise (by making turret adjustments or using the reticle for lead and hold over/under.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.</div></div>Why limit the scope by getting a velocity reticle? </div></div>

I agree, and recommend Mil-Dot or the NFX NPR1. You will likely shoot more than one bullet weight, and using these reticles you will be able to be more precise (by making turret adjustments or using the reticle for lead and hold over/under.) </div></div>
I shoot 77 grain SMK's at around 2,650 FPS; the LV reticle actually matches this load perfectly. However, I haven't ruled out a traditional mil-dot for this scope. I prefer the mil based system, so I've ruled out a MOA based reticle/turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why limit the scope by getting a velocity reticle? </div></div>

The velocity reticle isn't limiting the scope at all.......IF you get it with Zero Stop.

Just zero the top line at 200 with your matching load, and use the reticle out to 600 like it was designed to be used.

If you want to spin turrets, just zero the top line on any caliber or load and set the Zero Stop, run your ballistics, and dial up your hold, just like you would do with any other reticle.

Mine (with an HV reticle) worked fine at 1070 yards a couple of weeks ago.

And, you can get the LV reticle with mil turrets like you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The velocity reticle isn't limiting the scope at all.......IF you get it with Zero Stop.</div></div>How does the zero stop feature make up for the limitations of the reticle itself?

Velocity™ reticles use a balistic configuration based on bullet weight, bullet BC and muzzle velocity.

What are the limitations of the reticle?

The only limitation I can see is the fact that it's not a ranging reticle like a mil-dot or a NP-type with MOA marks.

I'm just saying that you can use it as a ballistic reticle, or you can use it to dial yardage like any other "crosshair" with target turrets.

The Zero Stop isn't necessary. All my NF scopes have it and I've just gotten used to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Velocity™ reticles use a balistic configuration based on bullet weight, bullet BC and muzzle velocity.

</div></div>

I know what velocity reticles are.
I've got several of them in NF and Zeiss scopes.

I have an IOR 2.5-10 FFP, I like it a lot. Another alternative is the super sniper 3-9. I used to think FFP in a 10 or less power was a waste but I find I use it a lot at 4-6 power for holdovers whatnot.

Why not an MOA reticle? NF MOA reticles are very good. If I went with a NF 2.5-10 it would be with an MOA reticle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the limitations of the reticle?</div></div>According to NF, that "<span style="text-decoration: underline">Virtually</span> every modern rifle cartridge will <span style="text-decoration: underline">mesh</span> extremely well with <span style="text-decoration: underline">one</span> of our Velocity™ series, with <span style="text-decoration: underline">minimal</span> or no point-of-impact <span style="text-decoration: underline">deviation from standard</span>."

Why would one not learn to use Mils and/or MOA and be able to use the same scope with precision for all calibers, and use it for ranging as well?

I dunno...I made a few hits last week at 948 w/ my short dot (22 MOA + a 4 MIL hold over and a 1 MIL hold off). I shoot it a lot at 10 - 700 yrds. IMHO there is no better 5.56 do it all optic.

I have seen locking CQBs turn up recently for $1,400 - $1,900 and with the 1-8 out I predict you will see more 1-4s soon enough.

Good luck

For the range, I don't think you can get any better than the NXS 2.5-10x32. It's going to be more expensive at a range of $1291-1549, but IMO the next step up in optic is the USO SN3 1.8-10x, and that will cost you between $1670 on up to $2671.
IOR has offerings in the 2.5-10x and 2-12x range, and they're 21oz and 28oz respectively.
A Leupold Mk4 will run you 19.5oz, however it's a 3.5-10x as opposed to the 2.5-10x. That extra lower power does make a difference. Also, you will spend $1500 to get a Leupold with the milrad M5 adjustments, and that is an FFP scope, which means that you won't have an illuminated reticle option.

There are less expensive options in Vortex, SWFA, Nikon and Bushnell, but I don't think you're going to get what you want from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an IOR 2.5-10 FFP, I like it a lot. Another alternative is the super sniper 3-9. I used to think FFP in a 10 or less power was a waste but I find I use it a lot at 4-6 power for holdovers whatnot.

Why not an MOA reticle? NF MOA reticles are very good. If I went with a NF 2.5-10 it would be with an MOA reticle...

</div></div>
I've finally acclimated to mil based reticles and adjustments. The scope on my primary LR rifle is a S&B 5-25x PMII with a P4F and .1 mil turrets. I'd rather stick with mil's for the AR as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would one not learn to use Mils and/or MOA and be able to use the same scope with precision for all calibers, and use it for ranging as well?</div></div>

Graham, I don't know why one would not do that.
I certainly prefer to do it that way, and it's obvious that matt33 knows how to do it that way:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm also looking for something robust with solid, repeatable adjustments (S&B has spoiled me). </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The scope on my primary LR rifle is a S&B 5-25x PMII with a P4F and .1 mil turrets. </div></div>

But he asked the question about the ballistic reticle:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering buying a NF 2.5-10x32mm MRAD with a low Velocity reticle for my 5.56mm Noveske Recon. </div></div>

and I was trying to make the point that the NF ballistic reticle isn't limited to use as a ballistic reticle only.
That's all. No more, no less.

If I have offended you, I apologize.

If you take this discussion as a pi$$ing contest, I hereby concede defeat and declare you the winner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've finally acclimated to mil based reticles and adjustments. The scope on my primary LR rifle is a S&B 5-25x PMII with a P4F and .1 mil turrets. I'd rather stick with mil's for the AR as well. </div></div>

IOR reticle is very similar to the P4F & their 2.5-10 FFP scope is very solid. The new super sniper 3-9 has a reticle that is about the same (and it's near half the price). I would give both of those a look...

Not in my opinion...i use the 2.5-10 in 32mm and 24mm.... both mildot , mil turrets. besides the lack of parallax adjustment it is absolutely great for my 18" spr setup. . i like the close up and i have run it out to 700 yards no problem.

Great optic, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone

With the Compact NXS turrets you will want zero-stop. If you forget how many turns you've made there's no other way to know if you've returned to zero other than dialing all the way down and back up to your zero (if you happened to note how many clicks that was). Mine is mil/mil and I like that a lot, but as long as you match turrets to reticle, that's fine. It's a small, durable scope that tracks perfectly. However, now that I've shot with a Premier and the new SS 5-20 I'm starting to notice that the glass is only decent. Still, I'd take it any day over many other scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matt33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm considering buying a NF 2.5-10x32mm MRAD with a low Velocity reticle for my 5.56mm Noveske Recon. I currently have a TA31A ACOG on this rifle, but I'd like to move that optic over to a 6920 and get something with more magnification for the Recon. Weight is a factor, and the 21 or so ounce NF is as heavy as I'd like to go. I'm also looking for something robust with solid, repeatable adjustments (S&B has spoiled me). I'm willing to pay up to $1,500 for this optic, but I certainly don't want to waste money. The NF looks like a good fit for me (precision out to 600 yards with the ability to perform inside of 25 yards in a pinch). I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Please share your input.
</div></div>

I think your right on, i like that lv reticle in the 2.5-10, my boss shoots one, and i've shot them in the past, it's a nice match

I run an older 2.5-10x24 with the mil-dot reticle on a 18 upper, as mentioned above by USACS above the USO SN3 1.8-10 was a very close second but with the options I wanted the price really added up. I did look at some of the IOR models but the Spartan didn't come with a mil-dot reticle. I believe they have a new 1-10, that would interest me now. However, I think you have made a perfect choice, I do like the zero stop option and I think its a super nifty feature, but I honestly think for my shooting scenarios, the NF can't be beat.

I just went through the same dilemma, I went with the IOR 2.5-10x42, its FFP and has the MP-8 reticle, MRAD adjustments and a 42mm obj. I almost went with NF 2.5-10x32, but its SFP and didn't like the reticle options for MRAD turrets. The only issue was the weight, but we are only talking 2oz difference. Plus the IOR is cheaper!!

I hope to have it here and mounted on the AR by the end of the week.

hello. i'm new to this forum. i've been reading and learning as much as i can from this forum, and i really appreciate all the useful information that members contribute.

i have limited experience with optics. i've only used a trijicon TR24 1-4x on a Barrett Rec7 6.8. i just purchased an FN Scar 17 (7.62) and i'd love to put an optic on there that can take better advantage of the larger caliber. of course, money is always a concern, but a 17 deserves something decent and appropriate. my local range goes out to 900 yards, and it would be interesting to see what a Scar 17 can do at that distance. i'd like a scope that is appropriate on a battle rifle AND can be used to reach out and touch someone at 800 yards or so. i know it's only a battle rifle, but i've heard they also do fairly well out to 800 yards or so.

i've been leaning towards the NF 2.5-10x-32 with exposed tactical knobs, zero-stop and probably the NP-R2 reticle (MOA...i'm old and think in inches). but i'd also like to consider nightforce's velocity reticle because this scope will live on the 17 and i'll shoot the same load all the time so i'm sure i can find a flavor of their velocity reticle that will match up fine with my setup.

regardless of reticle choice, i know enough to be dangerous about FFP versus SFP reticles. it's my understanding that the NF 2.5-10x32 is SFP. is this correct? and if this is correct, then i believe that their velocity reticle can ONLY be used at 10x magnification, right? i suppose the same would be true for their other reticles also regardless of whether it's MOA or MIL based, right? what i'm struggling with is trying to understand how any of these reticles can be used at lower magnifications? am i correct in that you can't use the yardage markings at all on a SFP velocity reticle unless you are at full magnification? likewise with MOA or MIL reticles. you can't use the reticle for holdover unless the magnification is at 10x, right? my thinking must be wrong some how or other. i'm sure NF would not make SFP reticles if they could only be used at full magnification.

can someone please give me a quick education on this topic, and also please convince me to buy the NF 2.5-10x32 scope because i know i want it, but i just need to understand how to use a SFP reticle
smile.gif
thank you for your help.

sweet17, you nailed it. The NF 2.5-10x32 is SFP across the board, so you can only range and hold with the reticle at 10x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet17, you nailed it. The NF 2.5-10x32 is SFP across the board, so you can only range and hold with the reticle at 10x. </div></div>

It seems that everybody loves the NF 2.5-10x32 scopes so am i the only person that is concerned about the limitations of the SFP reticle? How do people use this scope in real life at lower magnifications?

Can you suggest some other "FFP" scopes comparable to the NF 2.5-10x32 scope? I think US Optics makes a real nice 1.8-10X44(37 optional) but it's about $1650+
maybe this is the way to go?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sweet17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vmpgsc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet17, you nailed it. The NF 2.5-10x32 is SFP across the board, so you can only range and hold with the reticle at 10x. </div></div>

It seems that everybody loves the NF 2.5-10x32 scopes so am i the only person that is concerned about the limitations of the SFP reticle? How do people use this scope in real life at lower magnifications?

Can you suggest some other "FFP" scopes comparable to the NF 2.5-10x32 scope? I think US Optics makes a real nice 1.8-10X44(37 optional) but it's about $1650+
maybe this is the way to go?
</div></div>
If you can get a USO 1.8-10x for $1,650, that would seem like a good deal for a FFP in this power range.

My S&B 5-25x PMII is a FFP; I really prefer FFP's for pure precision field use. However, for an general purpose AR15 scope that can/will see some close range work, I'd personal rather have a SFP optic (due to the fact that the reticle is perceived to be larger and more easily visible at 2.5x).

mmcs2p.jpg

*Not me, not my rifle.

I have a NF 2.5-10x24 Mil/Mil w/ ZS, it is my favorite scope. That said it has many weaknesses. Unforgiving eye relief and head placement(similar to the TA01/TA31 ACOGs). No way to tell if the elevation turret has been spun completely around(need to use zero stop).

The scope not being first focal plane has been an annoyance at times.

Consider looking into the Super Sniper 3-9x.

Is anybody familiar with Pride-Fowler 3-9x42? It is FFP and has a ballistic reticle with yard marks out to 800 yards. I understand there are pros and cons to ballistic reticles, but in my case I'm looking to put a scope on a Scar 17 7.62 and I'm planning on using the loads that match this specific reticle. NF also offers a ballistic reticle (they call it a velocity reticle), but since it's SFP the yard marks would only be accurate at maximum magnification.

Would the Pride-Fowler 3-9x with ballistic reticle be appropriate for a 7.62 caliber battle rifle? Would it be a good for short range work (SHTF) as well as medium range (out to 600 - 800 yards)? Would this scope also be good at the range for shooting dongs out to 800 yards? It's relatively inexpensive at about $650.

The NF scopes are rock solid scopes and for a Noveske Recon I would not go any bigger than that. I also like the IOR 2.5-10x they are a little longer. For the dollar value the Vortex PST 2.5-10x rock but they are are not as solid as the Nightforce. The Leupold 3.5-10x MK4 M5 is another scope I would look at.

Mike @ CST

sweet17,
Are there circumstances that would require you to take advantage of the holdover (velocity reticle) at lower powers; the longer distances necessary to make a holdover would negate the use of of lower powers in the first place wouldn't it? Maybe shooting offhand (less shake?). Unless the time it takes to turn up the magnification is a factor.
That's just my take on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wabird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sweet17,
Are there circumstances that would require you to take advantage of the holdover (velocity reticle) at lower powers; the longer distances necessary to make a holdover would negate the use of of lower powers in the first place wouldn't it? Maybe shooting offhand (less shake?). Unless the time it takes to turn up the magnification is a factor.
That's just my take on it. </div></div>

i think the problem is me. i keep envisioning that if i look hard enough that i will be able to find a single scope that can do all things well– CQB, mid-range (out to 800 yards) fast target acquisition of man size targets and punching paper at the range for fun. and i want to keep things as simple as possible so i won't have to remember to crank up the magnification all the way before using the reticle.

you do make a good point about long distance targets and being at high power anyway. this explains why so many people are comfortable with SFP reticles. they figure that they'll most likely be at the higher magnification anyway when shooting at long distance targets so the SFP reticle will provide accurate holdover.

thanks to everybody for their comments and insights. i think that i'm going to sign up for a precision rifle course so i can get a better feel for what all these variables (FFP, SFP, ballistic reticles, traditional reticles, FOV, etc.) look like in real life. then i can come back to this forum and ask more questions
smile.gif

thanks again!

i would just like to jump in saying that i'm in the same boat about finding an all around optic for the ar platform without going overboard on size and weight.

i am leaning towards the ior 2.5-10x ffp. in addition to using the dueck defense rts irons to aid in close up work.

can someone point out the error in my thinking. to me this would seem be one of the best choices for an all around ar setup.

This is a 2.5-10X32 NF on a 16" rig. I think it looks right at home.

DSC_0007.jpg

When you look at a Nightforce, you have to look at it in terms of the total package. They have above average glass, very good turrets and a very solid construction. I mean, other than hearing about guys having trouble getting their focus set right and similar problems, how many problems have you heard of people having with NF scopes. They just plain work and for the money, they are hard to beat. If you get a NF, odds are that it is very unlikely that you'll be able to break it. I know that I'm pretty tough on my equipment and I've never broken a NF.

Yes, the eye box on the 2.5-10X does get a bit narrow at 10X, but I see that as a good thing, in light of the fact that there is no parallax adjustment on the scope.

If you are getting a Velocity reticle for a .223, get the low velocity. It works well in terms of practical accuracy. Being pinpoint accurate with it will likely take a little "learning your equipment" but it can be done.

If you go with the Velocity reticle, maybe you should consider the capped turrets. Just one less thing to worry about.

I recently had the exact same dilemma. I have an LMT MRP with 18" SS barrel and Ta33 ACOG with horseshoe reticle. I have been shooting steel, mostly at 450-550 yards, and doing pretty well with the ACOG but wanted something with a bit more magnification. (If I was going to war I would definitely keep the ACOG! It's light, tough, quick to use, and surprisingly capable.)

I looked at NF, USO, Trijicon, S&B, and SS scopes. I then battled with 1-4 or 3-9/2.5-10. I ultimately decided 1-4 was too close to my ACOG and after careful consideration went with the SS 3-9 with mil-quad reticle and a NF unimount.

I just got it last week and shot it last Friday. My initial impression is that it is a very good scope! It is bright, has good eye relief, great reticle, good clicks, and seems to be a good combination of weight vs robustness for an AR application. I also find the boldness of the reticle perfect as it is easily visible at 3x and not too thick at 9x. I alternated shooting my AR15/SS 3-9 and TRG22/Hensoldt 4-16x56 with NH1 reticle. The view is not as nice as my Hensoldt, but at 1/6 the price, it is an incredible value. The reticle is very similar to my NH1 reticle, which I love. The 3-9 did offer some improvement in long range precision over my ACOG as one would expect with higher magnification and reliable turrets. I was able to hit my 640 yard target in wind consistently. I could not do head shots at that distance like I can with my TRG/Hensoldt in 260 Rem, but I did not expect that capability. I like shooting the AR at 640 yards. It offers a similar shooting experience regarding wind holds and reading the conditions as the TRG/260 does at 1000 yards, but with cheaper ammo. However, my accuracy and repeatability is just not there yet with the AR compared to a good bolt gun.

The downsides of the SS 3-9 for me are that the turrets are 5 mils per rotation instead of 10 or 12 and rotate a different direction than my Hensoldt. The scope does not have a zero stop but the rotations are easy to keep track of by marks at bottom of the turret. The reticle is not lit but as I said very visible. The scope at 3 power does have some tunneling that is gone by 4 power. The scope at 3 power is not as fast as my ACOG with BAC reticle. I may end up putting a RMR in an off-set mount on it for close-in fast shots. And given the affordable price of the scope, the combo would still be cheaper than most of the other scopes in this category!

I have no regrets with my purchase! Good luck!

IMHO The NF is the best value, but the others mentioned can be more versatile.