• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Nightforce Optic Mounting

bronco9588

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2011
Charleston, SC
Hi all,

After being referenced from Google to the hide for information, I figured that I should join to get some answers to my questions. I am about to build a Remington 700 in WM for some longer distance work and learn about reloading a cartridge other than .308 winchester.

Here is the following build:
1) Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS (considering 50mm)
2) NF unimount 20 moa high mount
3) NF one piece steel base for Remington long action 20 moa
4) Remington 700 5-r in 300 wm
5) Mcrees Precision Stock
6) Jewel precision trigger
7) Maybe a new grip sometime
8) Maybe a APA little or regular fat bastard break
9) Possibly teludyne barrel sleeve

Anyways, that list maybe unnecessary for this post, but possibly worthwhile for a discussion.

My problem is that while I am in the market for a high end optic that I have narrowed down on, I have no idea about the dimensions and clearances of the components. Sure the high unimount is 1.125 inches to the center. And the radius of the front lens is 28 millimeters = 1.1023622 inches. Theoretically this should clear right? or is the front lens scope sleeve slightly bigger? Also, shouldn't the picatinny base give me another quarter inch? It would be nice if there were some blue prints out there for the two pieces and maybe even the 700's receiver and barrel taper.

I like the 56 for its low light benefit, zero cost difference, and slightly longer eye relief. My requirement for this scope is to be able to swap it between other high power rifles because the "rifles many, but the shooter one" and do not see a need for multiples at this moment. To achieve this flexibility, am I trying to get to low to the barrel at the expense of interference with multiple rifles with the 1.125 base? Should I go with the 1.375 base? Or Scrap the 56 and go for the 50?

I do appreciate information on the subject. I would hate to have to have interference on such an expensive item, but want to get the maximum potential out of the rifle. Lastly, where can I purchase NF accessories from? I am in the military and have been in communication with their rep, but it will take about 26 weeks before my scope will be made. I am thinking about getting the scope from bear basin outfitters as they have them in stock and have a good price, but I haven't had too much luck finding the scope rings and bases in stock.

Re: Nightforce Optic Mounting

The objective bell O.D. will be more than 56mm, that spec should be availible from the manufacturer. The rail will also add considerable height, how much a nightforce adds? IDK, but nightforce should. I have a 56mm obj scope in weaver high rings sitting on a rail and will be changing them to someone else's mediums, there's a good 1/4-3/8" of clearance to my varmint contour barrel. You're probably safe for sure with the highs, higher than neccesary if anything. Check the sight sponsers for your parts. Otherwise internet search, they're out there.