• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Offensive title changed lol. Scope rings broke, What do you suggest I buy now?

benbangui

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Someplace, MUrica
So I went into my closet today to grab my rifle on my way up the mountain after work. Was planning on a quick re zero and then hike back to a spot my friend saw some sheep the day before.

As I was checking my rifle controls etc I notice that while my rifle had been sitting in closet, the rings had busted. Snapped.

So neediness to say, I need a set of low 34mm rings for my bolt gun. Currently have a NF 20moa rail.

What I would like to get is a ring set that had a rail section at the 45 of top of ring so I could mount a red dot. Problem is that the only mounting systems I have seen that offer this are for ARs or taller heights. My rifle is a rem700 with Schneider barrel and McMillan camo A5 stock. So I would like to keep the mounting system low as possible.

You guys am have any suggestions for me? Thanks :)

Edit: rings were "torqued to spec" with a torque wrench. Looked online when I did it, don't remember exactly what it said as far as what I torqued it to.

For info I didn't change anything else other then my title which said "Seekens rings suck". For those that are reading for the first time and seeing the reaction of people to one statement I made.

Last edited:
Your rings spontaneously snapped in the safe, eh? Where was the break? Both of them? Same place?

Well first off, I don't think its fair to SLAM the shit out of a good vendors name on a public forum (in the title none the less) because of one bad experience. I have used Seekins rings since backwhen it was just Glen himself making them. I have never had a issue with the many sets I have, maybe they were over torqued, or maybe you just got one bad ring out of tens of thousands of good ones, it happens. Did you contact Seekins Precision to see what they would be willing to do? I would have contacted them first, but that's just me.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Spuhr rings sound like they will work for you, although they're pricey... I have 2 sets of Seekins rings and I love them. No issues at all and I haven't touched my zero in about two years.

What part broke? The clamping feet? What torque spec did you use to put them on with?

Never know, Glen mighta helped you out; but seeing as how you're pretty vocal about his stuff stinks....

For what its worth I have never had any issues with my Seekins rings and this is first I have ever read about anything negative from Seekins. Sucks that they broke but I don't think any company can catch every bad egg. "Seekens rings suck, don't buy them" pretty strong title. Rifles are tools, tools break when used. If the rings were received from Seekins broke or broke before you mounted them I would say that sucks. I would call Seekins and see if they can replace, I busted a part putting on one of their hand guards and it was completely 100% my fault and they replaced part no charge.

Shit happens....see if Seekins will right the wrong before you start ugly threads.

2e5pcph.jpg

21l0h83.jpg

I posted them for the OP

Sorry all. I'm sure your right they good people and no one has had any bad experience with them. But wouldn't the first question asked to me if I just said my rings broke be "what company rings did you buy?"

My bad for saying "they suck". I purely mean, I'm bumming that a set of quality rings broke on me. It's really not that big I deal. I'm sure the next ones I get from them would be fine. This just gave me a chance to talk about something and see what my other options are out there.

My apology a to anyone affiliated with the company who's rings broke. I have no hard feelings. Just bummed im writing this and not hiking right now :)

For what its worth I have never had any issues with my Seekins rings and this is first I have ever read about anything negative from Seekins. Sucks that they broke but I don't think any company can catch every bad egg. "Seekens rings suck, don't buy them" pretty strong title. Rifles are tools, tools break when used. If the rings were received from Seekins broke or broke before you mounted them I would say that sucks. I would call Seekins and see if they can replace, I busted a part putting on one of their hand guards and it was completely 100% my fault and they replaced part no charge.

Shit happens....see if Seekins will right the wrong before you start ugly threads.

Big titles get everyone reading and all hott and bothered :) sorry. I don't really have anything against seekens

Sneeky scare tactic but probably not scoring cool points with Glenn and probably going to get constantly flamed about it...no one is going to give you any feedback on ring choices.

Well first off, I don't think its fair to SLAM the shit out of a good vendors name on a public forum (in the title none the less) because of one bad experience. I have used Seekins rings since backwhen it was just Glen himself making them. I have never had a issue with the many sets I have, maybe they were over torqued, or maybe you just got one bad ring out of tens of thousands of good ones, it happens. Did you contact Seekins Precision to see what they would be willing to do? I would have contacted them first, but that's just me.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

My bad :) I just like to get everyone reading and defensive :) lol

I have contacted them. Same time I posted this. In sure they will replace. Any good company would. I'm just curious what other options I have out there

What part broke? The clamping feet? What torque spec did you use to put them on with?

Never know, Glen mighta helped you out; but seeing as how you're pretty vocal about his stuff stinks....

I torqued them to spec that I looked up online at the time I did it. Don't remember what that was now. I'm not really worried about weather or not they replace them. I would think any company would replace them especially when they have lifetime warranty. But your right, me "being vocal" might irritate someone and they could choose to not honor there company policy :)

I honestly didn't realize how close nit everyone was and didn't think that title or my post would cause such a response. The pics got posted should show you how they broke.

Ok, I'll take it it was a lesson learned, the good news is you can edit the title ;) . I know Glen personally, but either way I always get a little sensitive about someone flamming before they attempt to resolve the issue with said vendor, most spend many years and a lot of hard earned dollars to gain the reputations they have. Reputations are like respect, they can be very hard to earn, and very easy to loose.

To answer your question, Badger Ordnance makes ring caps that replace the upper ring (proprietary to Badger Ord), they offer a top and a offset picatinny ring cap for red dots or other accessories. link; https://www.badgerordnance.com/product-category/specialty-mounts/ring-caps/

Another option is the LaRue mount, designed for a Dr Optic red dot or Burris, 34mm ring so it mounts directly to your scope tube
http://www.laruetactical.com/burris-doctor-optic-and-trijicon-rmr-ring-mount

Last edited:
Have you considered a "special" mounting system that you can repair yourself (got any duct tape)?

This is not the first time I've heard issues with Seekins rings. I seem to recall one of the mods here not liking them, but I don't remember which one.

Either way, I haven't had issues with mine. Another company I would recommend would be badger.

Wow! That's a clean break [MENTION=60140]Toast[/MENTION]. All I use are Seekins rings. Op, I'd call them and see what they can do for you.

ETA: Sphur, Badger or even the Nightforce rings would be some options.

Last edited:
You definitely could've over torqued, very easy to do and it's less torque than most people think. I've used seekins for years and no issues. They're lightweight and leave even pressure and no ring marks. Definitely bad taste for a title for one experience. Every top manufacturer can have some mistakes.

Are you truly so stupid as to think the name of the company is "Seekens" and continue using it when the proper spelling has been demonstrated in numerous other posts?

One of two things likely happened: You over-torqued it or Seekins may have obtained a bad batch of materials. Both are possible, though I would probably point towards the first one as the most likely culprit. You said you torqued them to spec, what tool are you using? Have you ever checked it up against another torque wrench?

If it's on Seekins' end due to them receiving a batch of aluminum up to spec then I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take care of you, it does happen. I believe Spuhr had a small batch with material not having been up to spec leading to some cracking sometime in the last year, it happens. It's how the company responds to take care of it that matters most.

As others have said, you should be careful about labeling these threads with stuff like this though, it doesn't reflect well on the forum and the quality of the content. If you have a legitimate issue there's nothing wrong with posting about it, but try and do it in a more tactful manner so that you don't unfairly slander a good company. A lot of people looking for guidance on what to buy for their rifles will find posts from here at Sniper's Hide during Google searches and titles like that do not do a company justice when their overall quality is very good.

Glen Seekins, [MENTION=2411]Glen Seekins[/MENTION] has proved time and time again that he stands behind his products no matter what. Call them, you'll have a replacement as fast as the USPS can get it to you.

It seems to be much more common lately for posters to be ragging drama queens instead. This one freely admits he only put up the title to garner additional attention, might as well put up the post "I hate my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!" like my teen aged nieces do on FaceBook.

I'll bet Glen STILL replaces them with a smile because that's the type of business he runs. I've got money the rings were torqued at 20 ft/lbs, not 20 in/lbs, if there is any truth to the "proper torquing" in the first place, or maybe "errk" tight is more accurate.

Here's a post about one of the very minimal reports of failed rings back in 2010: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...545-badger-seekins-base-rings.html#post607856
total i have had less than 5 broken rings, two were from one person. I can live with a less than .05% failure rate.

Everything mechanical can fail, some just fail less
smile.gif

I tell you what OP, since you don't want Seekins anymore and say they suck so bad, go get a set of Badger Max-50 rings and turn them until the caps and base touch. They'll hold tight as fuck for you.

My guess over torque , you might want to check your scope out , with that much torque , I for see problems there in the future , just a guess ??

I torqued them to spec that I looked up online at the time I did it. Don't remember what that was now.
Did you buy these rings, new? Cuz, the torque specs are on the back of the packaging of the set I just bought?

I'm not really worried about weather or not they replace them. I would think any company would replace them especially when they have lifetime warranty. But your right, me "being vocal" might irritate someone and they could choose to not honor there company policy :)

Yep, that's where you F-ed up.
You hadn't even tried to contact the company to see about your options and give them a chance to make things right.

I'm ALL FOR members sharing about gear that fails/breaks/sux/ etc., but at least have the common courtesy to communicate with the company and allow their CS an opportunity to resolve the issue. Prematurely pullin' out the internet soapbox to b!tch from don't fly well in this airspace...

Sorry & good luck.

I've had rings fail on me before. Guess who I contacted first... The fucking manufacturer! They didn't even want the old ones back. I had a new set in 2 days. I didn't go online espousing how this company sucks.

And for the record, typing "lol" at the end of every post is seriously annoying. I'm guessing you aren't a teenager so stop that shit.

Edit: rings were "torqued to spec" with a torque wrench. Looked online when I did it, don't remember exactly what it said as far as what I torqued it to.

OK, so you "torqued them to specs". May I ask exactly what spec you torqued them to? And very important - what torque wrench you used? For both rings to fail in the same way at the same time is pretty rare. And last, where are the pictures?

OFG

OK, so you "torqued them to specs". May I ask exactly what spec you torqued them to? And very important - what torque wrench you used? For both rings to fail in the same way at the same time is pretty rare. And last, where are the pictures?

OFG

You know....Spec......15 ft lbs.....Good luck with the next set.

OP that sucks that they broke but as I see you have already contacted Seekins you will get a new set I am sure. If you don't want to use them I am sure you can find someone who will. I have known Glen before there was a Seekins Precision and have been using his rings since he started making them and have never had a problem. Problems like yours are not the norm by a long shot. Very, very rare. I know that doesn't do much to make you feel better but just wanted to let you know.

I had some Seekins metal on a rifle a couple of years ago. The jam nut was not able to make contact with the screw that was responsible for tightening the mag release...basically, the hole was not threaded deep enough to allow for the nut to contact (I couldn't see this at first). Long story short, I had been in contact with Glenn on how he could help me out. Since he was going to be in town for a competition, he told me he would just bring his tools with him and I could meet up with him and he would fix it (if he couldn't, he offered to swap it).

The dude was out to dinner when he called and said I could go by the restaurant and he would help me out with getting the issue fixed. Needless to say, I didn't want to bug the guy at dinner and at this point, I could see the problem and was able to solve it myself, but who could not appreciate customer service like he was willing to offer?

Since then, I have purchased four different pairs of Seekins rings. Never had an issue with any of those.

Give them a chance to rectify it, OP. I can understand being gun shy with using them a second time around, but I would hesitate myself. These are top of the line products.

From what I have seen Seekins rings are about as nice as anything else out there. I would say the odds of that happening again are pretty slim. I would just run the replacement set.

Over torqued for sure. 15 INCH lbs is all you ever need. I like and use steel Leupold Mark IV rings and have never had an issue. Personally, I prefer the single 1/2" nut attachment versus the two torx screws. I guess they are not as cool looking as Seekins or some of the others but I've yet to see one fail in over 20 years in all kinds of conditions.

I've had rings fail on me before. Guess who I contacted first... The fucking manufacturer! They didn't even want the old ones back. I had a new set in 2 days. I didn't go online espousing how this company sucks.

And for the record, typing "lol" at the end of every post is seriously annoying. I'm guessing you aren't a teenager so stop that shit.

Lol

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and info on Glen company. Honestly wasn't saying I wouldn't buy them again. Just bummed they broke and just wanna try another set so I'm on the look for another set. As far as people calling me a drama queen and whatever good :) your "drama" responses don't make you any different. And yes laugh out loud because your cute :)

OFG

I believe another member posted pics. I don't remember what it was torqued too. I don't mount scopes all that often and just looked it up online when I did it. Used a screwdriver looking torque mechanism that you could set the diff settings on.

Quick question on the rings. Did you tighten one side down then move to the other side(on the rings)? Or was it moving from one side to the other keeping an even spacing in the gap between top and bottom of the rings?

R