• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ok, sell me on the Atlas bipod.

ForceResponse

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
Florence, KY
www.forceresponse.com
Getting a bipod for the new AR10. It's between a Harris BRMS with Larue 706LT or an Atlas V8 with American Defense mount. I know what everyone says about the Atlas, but I just don't see where the Harris is deficient. Money isn't a problem, but I don't want to buy something just to hang with the cool kids. If a Harris is good enough...I'm fine with that. I ask for advice because I won't be able to shoot an Atlas before I buy one. Would love your feedback. For reference:

I'm looking to live around 800 yards
I'll be shooting on various terrain
Quick deployment and adjustment is a definite plus
Durability is a requirement
Silence is a plus

Re: Ok, sell me on the Atlas bipod.

Its smaller, lighter and it pans.

The legs adjust to 45 degrees for more adjustment options.

Quieter that the Harris.

If the numerous positive reviews from Hide members hasn't sold you on the Atlas bipod, <span style="font-style: italic">nothing</span> will.

And, no...the Harris isn't good enough. It is inferior to the Atlas.

I installed my first Atlas yesterday, better then the Harris in every possible way. Of course you pay for better.

I like both but if money isn't a problem just get one and try for yourself, nothing beats testing it for yourself in the conditions you listed. And if you don't like it, i'm sure you will have no problem selling it to us hiders for what you paid for it. I did the exact same thing and now my only problem is I want more atlas's. Good luck in your testing.

Scott

I've got both, but prefer the Atlas. It is a much higher quality product in my opinion and feels like it's worth what it costs. I'm slowly selling my Harris bipods and purchasing Atlas instead, but I'm happy to use my Harris until it am able to sell them.

Yeah dude, pick up a Harris Swivel, notched, with lock until you can pick up an Atlas. Run it for a little, then once your Atlas shows up, swap it out. Then you'll notice the difference.

I have both. And I like them both. Harris is a local company to me( abouy 8 miles away). The Harris is not as adjustable as the Atlas but the Harris in the Larue mount is nice too. Kasey has made a great kit! The V8 on the qd larue mount would be nice. Like anything else your personal choice is all that matters

triad tactical has the V8 in stock right now just ordered mine last night,they won't last long

Kasey is currently shipping his QR version with the ADM mount. It can be adjusted for different rails without needing a wrench or re-loctiting the nut. It also puts side pressure on the rail, not camming on the rail itself.

More here on ADM:

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/

No shortage of good info out there on the Atlas. I have 2 as well as the Harris 9-13 swivel notched leg with pod loc. I use both, but as I have more rifles with rails, the Atlas is a nice way to go. It is more compact, can have the legs forward or back, and is a pleasure to use. It offers much more flexibility in its deployment than the Harris, which may or may not be a consideration for you depending on your shooting needs.

EDIT TO ADD: depending on where you care in CO, you may be able to try mine out.

I had the older version with the (also V1) AI spigot. They came in a package deal I made on a rifle. I did not like them as much as a Harris. But, before I get slammed by everyone for saying that, I understand the things I didn't like were corrected in the newest versions selling now. I will definitely give the new version a try at some point, as Kasey and his crew are a top notch bunch.
As great as demand is for them now I would say that my one opinion of a version that was is not a fair assessment.
I will also say that after many years behind Harris bipods they just felt/feel more to my personal liking.

OP - I've shot Harris, I've been an AI/PH user on my AW for years. But now....I've dumped them all and replaced them with Atlas V8's with both the ADM QD, the Larue LT171 and the V2 AI spigot. Why?

1) Kasey's products are well designed and well built. Kasey's CS is the benchmark - even for me over here in the UK. He is a top bloke. Kasey listens to his customers and, if needs be, evolves and releases upgrades to the products quickly and with a clear and cost-effective upgrade path.

2) Atlas are light but robust and don't have those annoying, twanging springs...you know what I mean.

3) I've never found another product that copes with uneven ground as well as the Atlas using the 45Degree legs and notches

4) The product is flexible and upgradable (extension legs, claws, ski-feet etc.). If you've ever struggled with the deploymentof other types of claws, try Kasey's version with the ball joint - it just works.

5)On the QD rail mounts, I'd recommend the ADM version - nothing wrong with Larue but I just like the ADM release better - it has what I can only describe as a lever with a trigger lock...very light, quiet and quick to use - no need to wrestle with it - unlike maybe the ARMS and Larue ones.

6) Can be run tight/rigid or have the tension slackened if you like a bit of slop/freedom of movement (like an AI bipod)

I use my rifles (with the Atlas) from 100 to 1000 yards, on different surfaces and in all (UK) weather - no problems with stability. A great product!

I suppose some might call the Atlas a "buy once, cry once" product....but really, once you buy one, you'll probably buy more. And the only reason you'd have for crying is that either you didn't buy one soon enough or you don't buy one at all!

I know I'll be going back for my fourth one in the near future........

Honestly, IMO The Atlas needs no "selling", it sells itself. Buy one when you find it. If you don't like it, then sell it on here in a matter of minutes for what you paid for it...

BasraBoy - exactly the input I was looking for, thanks! Well articulated...much appreciated.

Still leaning towards sticking with the Harris...but I really appreciate the honest and passionate feedback. I guess my issue with dropping the hammer on an Atlas is that I just haven't had any issues with the Harris. Why would I sleep with Cindy Crawford if I'm in love with the woman I'm with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ForceResponse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I sleep with Cindy Crawford if I'm in love with the woman I'm with?</div></div>

Just don't sleep with her with any disillusions about ever going back to your wife. Your wife will never match up once you have tasted the other.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anchorman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can you get an Atlas Bipod? Anyone stock them or do you have to order direct and wait? </div></div>

All three attachment options are in stock at this time:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Accu-Shot-Atlas-Bipod.html </div></div>

Order placed for two! Nice!

Another vote for the atlas, the Harris is obsolete. The atlas is better made, lighter and has more features. The only downside is having to use the rail to mount it. However the rail is a far better way to mount a bipod.

Thanks for the support, it is always humbling.

ForceResponse, "I guess my issue with dropping the hammer on an Atlas is that I just haven't had any issues with the Harris."

This really says it all, I suggest you stay with the Harris, it's a good bipod and meets your needs.

The main reason we even made a bipod was our monopod customers constantly asking about a bipod and looking for an option to the Harris. And in fact I even approached Mr. Harris about the features found on the Atlas to see if there was any interest in them manufacturing it before we went forward with it.

shoot4fun, I hope the getting slammed was "tongue in cheek", I really believe most members here respect others opinions on products. I've seen first hand how people like/dislike a given product based on personal preference, nothing more, nothing less.

Had an Atlas, got rid of it and went back to the Harris.

First the Atlas was rather expensive.
When on a hard surface, any attempt to put pressure on the rifle would cause the bipod feet to spin and the rifle would roll forwards on the bipod. Just as if the rifle were on wheels.
No matter how much I tightened the knob, the bipod would always have some movement in it. I could not lock it down like I can with a Harris & podlock.
When using the Atlas with an AR15A4 and NV scope, it would fall under its own weight when the legs were set at 45 degrees.

The Atlas is a nifty bipod, and I love the concept but it was not the right bipod for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had an Atlas, got rid of it and went back to the Harris.

When on a hard surface, any attempt to put pressure on the rifle would cause the bipod feet to spin and the rifle would roll forwards on the bipod. Just as if the rifle were on wheels.
No matter how much I tightened the knob, the bipod would always have some movement in it. I could not lock it down like I can with a Harris & podlock.
When using the Atlas with an AR15A4 and NV scope, it would fall under its own weight when the legs were set at 45 degrees.

The Atlas is a nifty bipod, and I love the concept but it was not the right bipod for me.</div></div>

What version Atlas did you have? I'm guessing a V7?

The legs can rotate around the notched inner shaft but I've not seen them loose enough on my Atlas's to be able to rotate freely like wheels, not even when you hold it on its own and try to run it along a surface like a toy car.....

I'm not a qualified engineer but I'd question whether the direction of force on the rubber feet could rotate the feet like wheels when in the 45 Degree position as they are splayed out and the direction of force from the rear of the rifle towards the muzzle would effectively be pushing the feet and legs apart and backwards.

On the V8 I'd say something would have to break on the ratchet or pin that locks the leg for the leg to collapse.

I recall reading there was an issue with some of the earlier bipods on the thumbscrew tightener either over tightening or not tightening sufficiently. I've not had that problem with any of my V8's. but being an ex-AI bipod user, maybe I'm not that sensitive to minute movement? I remember other threads on the Hide that mentioned this was an easy fix if you contacted Kasey (I think a worn washer or bushing if I member correctly?)

If you get a chance to try the V8 you should give Atlas a go again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had an Atlas, got rid of it and went back to the Harris.

The Atlas is a nifty bipod, and I love the concept but it was not the right bipod for me.</div></div>

Ya that is under V7, the new re-inforced V8 doesn't have that happening, as well, the rolling issue is one of user not being at the right angle, usually they are lower than necessary and not properly loading the bipod. This is a training issue and not a gear issue. We have demonstrated loading the bipod on hard surfaces many times without it rolling, regardless of the version. Many people just don't understand the concept correctly.

But definitely people were seeing the issues above with the V7, although I know some people who did like the V7 better than the V8, there were issues of rounding the corners under heavy load with V7.

I have yet to get the concept of putting a heavy load over or against with the bipod at a 45... that makes little sense to me, but to each their own. Lower is not always correct for some people, body types matter.

As for the OP, if they have no issue with a Harris, why change ? and if money is no objective, get an Atlas and form your own opinion. You can always sell it. I don't know about other people, I tend to have a lot of bipods running around.

Which option is better for an AICS setup? Bi-pod in spigot style adapter or in the quick throw on a AFAR kit rail? At this time I have no other rifles I intend to mount this on also...Thanks

The V8 just came out around the time I decided to get rid of the bipod. I read Kasey's post on this forum explaining how I could upgrade to the V8 for about 50 dollars. I was not about to dump 50 bucks into the most expensive bipod I ever owned to maybe have it work the way I wanted.

No I did not contact Kasey. From what I gathered on this forum my Atlas was performing normally.

On a side note, one minor annoyance with the Atlas was that it would always turn or angle when I moved or was putting the rifle out of a case, etc. The Harris(while larger and bulkier) would stay tucked out of the way.

DSCI0086.JPG

In this picture for example, the legs are angled down. Often when using the rifle I would find the bipod would turn(pan) and the left leg would be closer to me then the right. Not a functional problem by any means, but an annoyance.

A good bit of people here really like the Atlas, so clearly it does some things right. But it is not the right bipod for me. One great thing about the Atlas is that they tend to hold their value. I was able to get back most of what I had in it when I sold it.

Edit: Just saw Lowlights post. As for the bipod legs rolling, well that could well be me. I am no expert on bipod use. All I know is I don't have that issue with the Harris, and I did with the Atlas I paid a whole lot of money for. In any event, it is good to have options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spigot,

You want the bipod as far forward as physically possible, </div></div>

Definitely +1 on this.

I ran a Harris on my AW using the stud under the forend....but only once! For me it ruined the balance and the feel of the rifle. Didn't like it at all. Just my £0.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The V8 just came out around the time I decided to get rid of the bipod. I read Kasey's post on this forum explaining how I could upgrade to the V8 for about 50 dollars. I was not about to dump 50 bucks into the most expensive bipod I ever owned to maybe have it work the way I wanted.

No I did not contact Kasey. From what I gathered on this forum my Atlas was performing normally.

On a side note, one minor annoyance with the Atlas was that it would always turn or angle when I moved or was putting the rifle out of a case, etc. The Harris(while larger and bulkier) would stay tucked out of the way.

DSCI0086.JPG

In this picture for example, the legs are angled down. Often when using the rifle I would find the bipod would turn(pan) and the left leg would be closer to me then the right. Not a functional problem by any means, but an annoyance.

A good bit of people here really like the Atlas, so clearly it does some things right. But it is not the right bipod for me. One great thing about the Atlas is that they tend to hold their value. I was able to get back most of what I had in it when I sold it.

Edit: Just saw Lowlights post. As for the bipod legs rolling, well that could well be me. I am no expert on bipod use. All I know is I don't have that issue with the Harris, and I did with the Atlas I paid a whole lot of money for. In any event, it is good to have options.</div></div>

Looking at that, I would have to say you are a bit confused on your mission.

But I completely understand it not being for everyone. With the QD set you have there, I would have put it on my kit in a utility pouch and only put it on when I needed it. You have a mix of everything happening there with no focus. A shorter M4, with a bigger scope, with a Magpul grip for CQB, a bipod for prone... pick a mission. All you are missing is the cup holder.

Yea Lowlight, I was experimenting. The super sniper was a place holder till I had my NF 2.5-10x. The bipod (as you pointed out) was QD, and only stayed on when I needed it. As for the AFG, it just did not work well on that heavy and large a rifle.

Main reason I posted the picture was to show that I actually did own an Atlas. I know that some people will complain about products they have never seen in person.

For those of us with rifles covered with rails, I really think QD is the way to go with bipods, regardless of make. The versa-pod can be had with a qd, and there are assorted options for the Harris. Kasey offers the ADM mount for the Atlas and I recommend that. While I prefer Larue mounts, you do not need absolute return to zero on a bipod mount. ADM bipod throwlever mount is about 2/3rd the price of the Larue model, and can be more quickly adjust to fit different rails. DD, KAC, LMT, rails can very greatly, so it is handy to be able to quickly adjust the mount to fit any of them.

Anyways, if your interested, I have several pictures of silly setups that just didn't for me. I'm sure you'd find them humorous. It is by experimenting that I learn what better works for me. It was nice that I could use the Atlas, so I could make my own decision. Just wish there was a place where I could try everything out with out having to waste my little bit of money on it. ForceResponse, if you find you dont like the Atlas, you should be easily able to resell it here on this forum.

Postal0311,

First, I sincerely thank you for giving the Atlas a try and I'm sorry your experience was not satisfying.

Regarding the V7 to V8 conversion, that was a hard decision to make, and I fully understand your position. To date we have converted fewer than 1% of the V7's sold, so not everyone with a V7 has had the same experience as you. BUT I also saw where and how that could happen to all V7 owners. So a change was needed that would prevent it and the V8 was born. I also felt I owed it to our customers that took a chance with us a conversion at a reasonable price (which the 49.95 covers the labor), instead of simply offering a "new" Atlas bipod.

Maybe not the best decision, I'm always a little out of the "norm" on things business, but my intent is to be fair.

Hello Hellbender!

I was composing my post and did not see yours.

I'd like to use that demonstration on our WWW, can I buy the rights to use it? (Giving you full credit of course)

Kasey,

I don't need any credit, I cut up all my cards 15 years ago!
laugh.gif

How about a cup of coffee at Tulsa Gun Show this fall?

I'll email you the direct links to the pics, if you need them.

Although, I am sure Kasey would like it, I am confident that he has no dillusions of every bipod in the world being an Atlas. They are not for everybody, some will prefer a different design. In my oppinion, they are the best out there for what I want to do with a rifle.

Postal, all of the issues you had have been sorted out. Not saying you should switch, perhaps you just prefer a defferent design.

Through evolution, the Atlas has become as close to perfect as possible.

The only thing I dislike about the Atlas is how low it hangs when folded. I tried out a friend's on my rifle and didn't like that. If they could make the legs sit up higher when folded I'd probably ditch my TangoDown for one.

The moment that the atlas won me over was shooting from the bench, and to be able to angle the legs back 45°. Even with the short Harris I was always limited to how low the rifle could be. With the atlas the only limit to how low is the stock itself. Not to mention that I can lean forward more with the support of the rifle still on the table. When shooting prone I use them at 90° since that is the height I need in that position.

It's really versatile. I like my swivel Harris and won't be hawking it anytime soon. But the atlas is very obviously the next generation to those people using them and understanding the flexibility and benefits.

To complain about it being "tilted" when stored is utter superficiality. If you think it's gonna get snagged on something, store the legs backwards. Like I said, versatility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
shoot4fun, I hope the getting slammed was "tongue in cheek", I really believe most members here respect others opinions on products. I've seen first hand how people like/dislike a given product based on personal preference, nothing more, nothing less. </div></div>

It was. I spoke my mind from my own experience. As I said, I will try the V8 again sometime. I sold my V7 with older AI spigot and the guy who has it now loves it. To each his own I guess. I think I'll try one with the ADM mount next time.

Thanks Brad, that is a deal. I think I'll just use your post and let the website guy build a page for it. savvy?

gugubica, Thanks, we will always listen to valid suggestions such as yours on the leg collars and incorporate them into the design.

NoExpert, the Tangodown wins hands down for being able to tuck away tight. But it just dawns on me that I've never seen one on a standard style stock (anything but a tube gun which it should work). And as a side note, the Tangodown was one of the new bipods that really challenged me about moving forward with the Atlas.

OFIS, Glad you like it and have found some value in the alternate leg positions. (It's interesting how some observers have suggested the 45 leg positions are a gimmick)

shoot4fun, "I spoke my mind from my own experience." exactly and I fully respect that. And you are also 100% right when you say "To each his own" and frankly I'm glad we have so many options.

vman, lol, I've met some Russians that have a better command of the Kings English than I do!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's an old post with an experiment I did that compares the Atlas w/ the Harris.....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...266#Post1394266

That was before I met and became friends with Kasey. Since that time, he has done continuous small improvements to the bipod, making a very good product into the best available.

</div></div>

Excellent! Thanks, Hellbender! This is very helpful and exactly what I was hoping for with the original post. Much appreciated. As several have suggested, I may buy the Atlas knowing that I can turn it around if it doesn't add salt to my eggs. Then again, I may start dating Cindy. Or...become Mormon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NoExpert, the Tangodown wins hands down for being able to tuck away tight. But it just dawns on me that I've never seen one on a standard style stock (anything but a tube gun which it should work). And as a side note, the Tangodown was one of the new bipods that really challenged me about moving forward with the Atlas.</div></div>

I was running the TD on a JAE stock and now it's on a Sage EBR stock, works fine. If there was a way to mix the features of the Atlas with the tuck away style of the TD I'd probably be all over it. Maybe on the V12?

NoExpert, thanks, I'll certainly be looking at ways to tuck the Atlas legs up tighter on the V10.

I just had a look inside your case, nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NoExpert, thanks, I'll certainly be looking at ways to tuck the Atlas legs up tighter on the V10.

I just had a look inside your case, nice. </div></div>

I'll keep my eyes on your site to see what progresses, that's why I said, "V12", joking it may take a few versions to get it going.

Thanks for the kind words on the rifle, just waiting on the scope and then getting rings. The JAE had your monopod on it so I already know about the quality of your products. Also your memory is quite amazing since you recognized my name from a previous order I had placed some time before.

Keep up the great work and innovative ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my oppinion, they are the best out there for what I want to do with a rifle.

Through evolution, the Atlas has become as close to perfect as possible.</div></div>

My sentiments exactly. I had a GG&G bipod and while it was a good bipod, it's no Atlas.