• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Old is still good enough.

3hundredWM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
In the shadows.
What's the oldest rifle in your armory that you still hunt with?

I still hunt with and shoot often my Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Carbine 45-70.

Just wanted to see if anyone else hunts with the good old guns of yesteryear.

Re: Old is still good enough.

Hmmm, not so old for rifles, but I still quail hunt occasionally with a Parker 20 gauge, built around 1915.

Bought that shotgun for the six inches of wood on the forearm. Still like looking at it.

How do you get your trap door adjusted to hit paper at 100yds? I dont want to put on a new front post. it shoots about 2 feet high at 100

Late 40's early 50's FN comercial Mauseer.

My oldest rifle I hunt with every now and again is my M1 Garand. I have a 1939 91/30 nagant that has been out hunting for deer a few times but has not seen hunting in over 10 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DiGGer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you get your trap door adjusted to hit paper at 100yds? I dont want to put on a new front post. it shoots about 2 feet high at 100 </div></div>

So I didn't want to alter mine either. And to get it to 100 yards you need to make the front post taller. So what I did was found some super thick really rigid heat shrink for wiring and caped the front sight. When heated up it turned hard as a rock. You need to make sure that the heatshrink is straight for windage, but after I know that's set, I took it to the range and slowly trimmed the heatshrink till I was able to put some groups on paper. It's not the most stable method, but atleast I didn't alter the rifle and it seems to work o.k. You just need to make sure you don't bump the front sight when loading it into the truck or when out hunting. I know it seems like a complete rig job, but that's what I came up with.

I've hunted all year with my Winchester mod 54 .270 W.C.F. made in early 1933. It beloged to my grandfather. Great shooting gun.

870 12 gauge wingmaster built in tne 50s. Bluing is worn off the chamber area ive shot it so much.

Late 40's Remington Model 721, Been in my family since it was bought new to hunt with and it'll keep on hunting for decades to come...

7x57 VZ 12/33 Mauser for my kids and Vz 24 for myself.

doshl.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-05

A Winchester Model 97 12 gauge. Hand me down from from my great grandfather. I have shot a few dove with it. Pre WWI manufacture...

1939 Remington 141 Gamemaster in pump action .35 Remington. Best short range brush gun I have. A 30-30 on steroids.

Hey Broadway, have you ever had another rifle point and shoot like that Model 141? A thang of beauty...

I have used my 1863 Parker Snow. Model 1861. Three band musket .58minie ball drops a deer like a brick
smile.gif

Majvret

An old '96 swedish mauser in 6.5x55. First deer rifle when I got out of the Navy in 94, had the bolt bent and mounted a scope. Then had refinished in matte black. Still shoots lights out at 300 with Hornady light mag 129grns.

Breeze