• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Optic Opinions

scott123456789

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Weatherford, TX
Tried search a bunch and got some comparisons but my price range leaves less than the "perfect scope"

Also for whatever reason, I just can't get the taste of the vortex Koolaid...

My "ultimate" scope has a milt dot reticle, enough moa to shoot 1000 with a 20 moa base, has a zoom range that works well for hunting, and has a reticle that is visible low light.

Would say $500 is the budget closer to $400 would be better, $700 better be amazing.

Kicker is I want to shoot this weekend so need something in stock.

In order from cheapest to most...

Bushnell 10x40 just a cheap target scope to get by until I find something more perfect.

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm from Doug. Has the moa range, price is incredible. Regular viper glass could be better, non mildot, awfully thin for hunting and would prefer less than 6.5 for my 50 yard deer stand and night hog/varmint hunting.

Ss10x40mm, tried and true, tactical 10 power, could get out to a mile, but 10 power is far from ideal with hunting.

Midway viper hs 5-15 mildot special. Mil dot with mill turrents. Good zoom range little high but manageable. Kicker here is the claim they are still two weeks from stocking them and could be more. Does have zero stops but only 65 moa of elevation.

Ss 3-9x40 Ffp, better range for hunting but under powered for longer range use. 94 moa built in. Looked through one but not sure if Ffp is for me.

Viper pst SPF. 4-16(even though the 6-24) is supposed to be better. Illuminated reticle zero stop mil or moa turrents.

Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm. Mil dot with target turrents. 65 moa built in should be enough for 1000. Glass probably the best compared to the others. No zero stops, but with hunting in mind would probably be the first choice but really out of my scope budget for this project. Doug at cameralandy has this on demo not going full price range.

or something used from the forum here.

Re: Optic Opinions

Have you looked at the SIII line of Sightron???? They are in your price range and they are great scopes. I have one that I have shot to 1000, it is great glass, tracks perfect and has a nice reticle in it. Just a thought.