• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Optics suggestions??

davwil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hill country in Texas
I have a suppressed 5.56 Rock River Arms, 16 inch, which I plan to primarily use for 50 to 100 yard neck shots for axis deer. Currently I'm using open sights but my eyesight isn't getting any better and I need some optics for precise shot placement.
4x might work but it's close to the lower limit for me especially going out to 100 yards. I have a U.S. Optics SN-4 (1.5-6x)that I could switch out and use but I'd like to try something else a little less expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? What about the Premier Reticles 1.1-8x24? If there are no benefits over the SN-4 or the price is much higher (I can't find a price on the Premier) then I guess I'll go with that.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Optics suggestions??

Vortex

How about this as a change...but of course there are many more such as an IOR and of course the ACOG series of scopes. It all depends on how much you are going to spend.

Thanks. Looks good but the 1.5x6 from US Optics is about the same price and the difference between a 4x and 6x makes a huge difference to me. But thanks for the suggestion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davwil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a U.S. Optics SN-4 (1.5-6x)that I could switch out and use but I'd like to try something else a little less expensive.
</div></div>

Why buy something else when you already have something that will work?

Also for your info, SWFA has the PR scope listed for $2600.

Would a red dot sight work? That isn't a long range. I have a C-More that I had laying around. I put it on my Les Baer just to try it. Other than the dot being too big- 8moa, it works and is fast. I need to get a smaller diode module- either 2moa or 4moa, for more precise work.
I have debated putting a scope on mine, and still might, but for under 200 yards it isn't a necessity yet. Of course I am only 52. maybe when I get old I will have to.

Jim

Look at an illuminated shotgun scope.
Maybe 1.5-5 power.
Nikon Monarch etc...

I just bought a nice 6X42 West German Zeiss from Neal at CameraLand for $500. I do not know if he has another one, but I was very happy with the deal. And that would make the perfect scope for an AR. If not then a Leupold 6X42 would also be a great choice. Tom.

At those close distances, why not get a fixed mag scope like Trijicon ACOG with bullet drop indicator.

I had the same optic question that you have. I wanted a scope that I could use for deer hunting and to use on running deer at ranges from 50 to 150 yards. A guy at Green Mountain Tactical suggested the IOR 2-12x32 35mm SF Tactical. Which I did purchase. It's a great scope. I can set it at 2 power and use both eyes open for those close running shots. And for the long range shots I have the option to zoom it up to 12 power.
The first year that I had it, I bagged a 10 pointer on full run at 90 yards. It performed just as I wanted it to.
I also own a Nightforce scope and a Leica spotting scope and the optics on this IOR scope is better than my Nightforce, and just as good if not better than my Leica.

At 100 yards or thereabouts you do not really need all that much magnification. If you are looking at 1.5-6x scope there are a few options depending on which objective lens size you want.

The cheapest good quality choice is probably Burris Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40

If you prefer a smaller objective lens, try Leupold VX-7 1.5-6x24. It is a very decent scope that is now under $1k.

I do not doubt that Premier 1.1-8x is a better scope, but it is triple the price. If you can't swing that much money right now, there are other options.

ILya