• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

Because the included instructions are pretty emphatic about it for headspacing barrels. And because I'm used to taking everything apart on my guns to *know* how to put it back together when necessary.

Okay just checking I wasn’t trying to be a jerk. I have been sliding the gauge under the extractor and that seems to be working for me.

Reactions: Shootin25
Damn I built my son a 28" 6br on a origin action with a bartlein barrel hoping to get into the 2950 range with the 105's and 107's. It looks with results out of a 22" that might be a pretty easy task. We have been running barnes 105 match burners and 30.5 vargets to break the barrel in.
2950 FPS in a 6br will be way over pressure,my dasher does 2940fps with 32.3gr Varget 26”barrel.Being an efficient caliber there’s not a huge gain from 22” to say 26” I’m guessing about 15fps per inch.

People get it in the 2930 2950 range with 30.5-31 of varget all the time with a 28” barrel which is why don’t understand why people jump on the dasher bandwagon so quick. 2” more barrel is hardly even noticeable. If your loading that much I would say you have a slow barrel. I was at over 2900 during break in.

Last edited:
You hit the nail on the head. Every trigger is different. The only consistency with Remington 700 drop in triggers is the pin holes that connect it to the action. There's nothing us as action manufactures can do about the inconsistencies. If every trigger was made exactly the same, what's the point of 10 guys competing for a share of the market? Springs are different, sears are different, adjustments are different. Everything is different and that's a good thing for the market. Everyone like options, right?

We're happy to help with any functionality issues you may have. When it comes to trigger timing, that's not a functionality issue, that's one of those "feel" things that's not quantifiable. We offer timing as an additional service, but so do most gunsmith's that are suited for single operation jobs rather than large scale production. If you want us to time your action to your trigger, we will...but it's an additional service as it would be anywhere else.

Thank you - Ray
Ray- is there a trigger you recommend?

I took off .030 from my cocking piece and I'm running a TT diamond
I have the TT Diamond how can you measure how much your removing? Just measer the cocking piece as you go or measure how much the pin sticks out of the rear of the bolt? I would assume the firing pin protrusion would be shorter if that makes sense...

I have the TT Diamond how can you measure how much your removing? Just measer the cocking piece as you go or measure how much the pin sticks out of the rear of the bolt? I would assume the firing pin protrusion would be shorter if that makes sense...
There is a post a few pages back where someone mentioned that the rear protrusion should be around .09 when it's in battery, I was getting .12 which was the .03 that had to remove.

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
Probably a long shot (hah) but does anyone have a close-up pic of the different bolt handles installed on bolts, in stocks? Trying to avoid having to go back through every single picture in the thread to tease out the info I'm looking for ;)

I’m having a small issue loading the first round on a fully loaded mag. Anyone run into this? Any ideas? I’m using a 10 round mdt metal mag in a mdt chassis.

You might need "tune" the magazine ie. adjust the feed lips to smooth out the feeding. I still need to do my new mags I got from MDT but haven't gotten around to it yet

You might need "tune" the magazine ie. adjust the feed lips to smooth out the feeding. I still need to do my new mags I got from MDT but haven't gotten around to it yet
what's the easiest way to tune them? I've never done it before.

In my experience, I typically need to bend the front most portion of the lips slightly upwards/outwards. YMMV but mut mine would nose dive just a smidge and get hung up on either lip of mat or edge of feed ramp.

Does anybody have a video of an Origin, just running the bolt? Looking to see how it “feels”.

Does anybody have a video of an Origin, just running the bolt? Looking to see how it “feels”.

I’ll see if I can find it, otherwise the video of Frank and Brian shooting the 224v at 2k, the bolt gun they are using is an Origin. In the beginning you can see Brian closing the bolt with one or two fingers.

Reactions: hetzen
How’s the accuracy on the Keystone barrels? Worth it to go with the Krieger from them?

Reactions: b6graham
I’ll see if I can find it, otherwise the video of Frank and Brian shooting the 224v at 2k, the bolt gun they are using is an Origin. In the beginning you can see Brian closing the bolt with one or two fingers.
There is no way to know how your action will feel before you get it. Part of what I had really hoped for was that easy two finger bolt open/close when I ordered my Origin. I can say that mine fell a good ways short of that. Maybe it could be improved if I have it timed...

There is no way to know how your action will feel before you get it. Part of what I had really hoped for was that easy two finger bolt open/close when I ordered my Origin. I can say that mine fell a good ways short of that. Maybe it could be improved if I have it timed...
more than likely. ask anyone who has timed theirs so there is no cock on close

Mine also isn’t two finger close. I’m waiting for word from Bighorn when I can send it in and have them time it for me.

more than likely. ask anyone who has timed theirs so there is no cock on close
From what I've read on here guys are just removing material from the cocking piece. I think that's a bit of a band-aid as they're also shortening their pin fall. I'm also not sure if what mine is doing is cock-o -close. Mine only has 0.001" diffenece in pin protrusion from fully open and fully closed, BUT what it does is as I push the bolt forward it decocks slightly as the cocking piece and sear engage and then cocks the rest of the way as I close. If I close the bolt very fast it is much smoother than if I run it slowly. I know this is claimed to be an issue of stacking tolerances, but it does it with three triggers (Timney CE, TT Diamond, and whatever was in my Bergara). I've also not shot this gun yet so it may improve with a bit of breaking in.

I timed my actions and it's a hell of a lot better then it was previously, I'm not sure I'd call shortening the cocking piece a bandaid fit. It might not be the end all be all fix but it does reduce any cocking on close and if your worried about reduced firing pin travel you can adjust the protrusion of the firing pin.

Which bolt handle you have changes the feel too. I got the spiral on both because I wanted it to be the same between my hunting and Target rifle. In hindsight one of the two longer handles (a larger lever) would have probably smoothed things out a touch. Most of what I'd call resistance on mine is the cock on close. Opening is very smooth.

I timed my actions and it's a hell of a lot better then it was previously, I'm not sure I'd call shortening the cocking piece a bandaid fit. It might not be the end all be all fix but it does reduce any cocking on close and if your worried about reduced firing pin travel you can adjust the protrusion of the firing pin.
I hadn't realized you could adjust firing pin protrusion! So yeah, maybe not a bandaid afterall. I will likely send mine somewhere to get it timed.

Firing pin protrusion has a fairly narrow range of what's acceptable, especially compared to the amount that people are reportedly taking off the cocking piece. I don't think that counts as an acceptable 'fix' or remedy.

Reactions: Another Casual
Firing pin protrusion has a fairly narrow range of what's acceptable, especially compared to the amount that people are reportedly taking off the cocking piece. I don't think that counts as an acceptable 'fix' or remedy.
And it may not be, which is why I would likely not attempt this on my own, but rather leave it to a professional.

It's the trigger sear and cocking piece. Where the two meet. The ramp on the bottom of the cocking piece that is designed to meet the sear. Between the two of these parts they have too much material so when you close the bolt handle the cocking piece is seemingly pulled back by the sear. That is compressing the firing pin spring. That is the resistance you feel. You could modify either part, but the cocking piece is probably cheaper and easier to remove/ replace than a buggered trigger sear. I have a spare firing pine assembly so if I buggered it up, I could just swap them out and order a new cocking piece from Bighorn. I have since done this fitting to my 2 TL-3s and my Origin. If you are nervous, order a spare cocking piece from bighorn to have on hand.

Maintain the the same angle and remove material with a hand file. I left .005" of protrusion.

But here's the reality of this issue. It isn't one. Your action is functioning fine. Fitting this engagement only affects feel. There is no actual improvement of function.

What are you measuring to determine how much material you took off the cocking piece?

.005" protrusion of the firing pin sticking out the back?

How much firing pin fall do you have?
Thanks

EDIT: How much Firing Pin Fall should the Origin have? Thanks

Last edited:
What are you measuring to determine how much material you took off the cocking piece?

.005" protrusion of the firing pin sticking out the back?

How much firing pin fall do you have?
Thanks

EDIT: How much Firing Pin Fall should the Origin have? Thanks

The Bighorn people stated in post 540 the FP protrusion out of the bolt shroud should be about .090" with the bolt open.

Well I threw a factory trigger in my action today to see if it will hold me over, the timing is pretty bad so I'll just wait till I get the right trigger...

On that topic, are there any triggers you guys have liked and was the timing right without a smith? The actions are all the same but is there much consitency between triggers? If im not understanding this right please let me know. My initial throughts are Timney CE or Trigher Tech.

Well I threw a factory trigger in my action today to see if it will hold me over, the timing is pretty bad so I'll just wait till I get the right trigger...

On that topic, are there any triggers you guys have liked and was the timing right without a smith? The actions are all the same but is there much consitency between triggers? If im not understanding this right please let me know. My initial throughts are Timney CE or Trigher Tech.

Hard to beat TriggerTech, and I've had most every one on the market. I just swapped the 510 on my Origin for a Triggertech, it's money.

Has anyone had problems threading on a savage prefit barrel. I just got a prefit which my barrel nut spins on easy but the action feels like I need to muscle it on.

I just got my TT Primary in today. So I naturally put it on. The rifle isn’t assembled yet, so it’s just the action and trigger but I could feel a slight bump when the bolt started to lock up. Might just be me, who knows. I’ll see if I can’t rig up a way to get a short video or something of what I’m seeing/feeling.

Are you guys achieving desired pull weights? I like a 1.5-2lb trigger, which means I could probably get away with the primary and be happy. I know that when I stuck the bergara trigger on it gained a pound or so. Is this because of timing or firing pin spring strength?