• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Oversized Actions for 338 Lapua?

HIPowerRx

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
I'm looking at options for a 338 LM build. I would like to get the strongest action (not in terms of action flex but barrel shank thickness and length).

Badger m2008/m2013 1 1/16" diameter, ?? long
BAT HRPIC 1 1/8" diameter, ?? long
Defiance Deviant LA 1 1/16" diameter, ?? long
Rem 700 LA 1 1/16" diameter, 0.7" long
Stiller Tac 338 1 1/8" diameter, 1" long
Surgeon 1581 XL 1 1/8" diameter, 1.2" long

Looks like the Surgeon is the best, but they aren't selling actions at the moment. Anyone have info on the unknown lengths or measurements of other custom actions? Thanks

Stiller Python is 1-3/16" x 1.375 long. I don't think it's available as a repeater though.

Stiller Python is 1-3/16" x 1.375 long. I don't think it's available as a repeater though.

Thanks for the info. Would prefer a repeater, but I don't mind hearing about single shots also. Took a look at the Python, it's aluminum with steel insert, but rifles built on it are estimated at 17lbs!

I'm not sure if you think that 17lbs is a lot or a little, but regardless, the weight of this type of rifle will likely be influenced far more by the barrel length and profile, stock, and optics than it will by the receiver.

I'm not sure if you think that 17lbs is a lot or a little, but regardless, the weight of this type of rifle will likely be influenced far more by the barrel length and profile, stock, and optics than it will by the receiver.

17lbs sounds close to what I would like, maybe 15lbs total with a thinner profile, 26" barrel. Approximately how much weight would an Al receiver save over a steel receiver?

17lbs sounds close to what I would like, maybe 15lbs total with a thinner profile, 26" barrel. Approximately how much weight would an Al receiver save over a steel receiver?

My GAP .338LM came in at about 17.5lbs with a Templar (Defiance) LA receiver, Badger steel scope rail, Manners T3 stock, Badger M5 bottom metal, Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56mm scope, and Nightforce Ultralite rings. Barrel was a GAP #7 (similar to a M24/M40 profile) at just under 26", with a Badger FTE brake. When I changed out the stock to an AICS 2.0 and the scope to a Vortex Razor HD (with steel rings), that weight grew closer to 20lbs.

According to Stiller's website, a Python action comes in at 42 ounces, while a Tac338 repeater action is 32 ounces (the single-shot version is four ounces heavier). So in this particular case, the aluminum construction would appear to come with a weight penalty (at least to extent that these actions can be compared, which doesn't quite seem fair as the Python has significantly larger external dimensions).

Gap built Badger M2008 .338LM 30in MTU, Manners T5A with 90% cf, badger M5 bottom metal and NXS 5.5-22x56 with ultra light rings its 17.89 pounds and thats without my atlas which brings it to 18.5 pounds. So not light.

The Stiller TAC 338 action is 1.40", not 1.125". Remington and their clones are 1.350" outside diameter.

If you want big go BAT. Their L actions are 2.0",1.75" or 1.65".Their EX actions are 2.0" and 2.5".

Single shot actions will always be structurally stiffer than those with a cutout for mag feeding.

The Stiller TAC 338 action is 1.40", not 1.125". Remington and their clones are 1.350" outside diameter.

If you want big go BAT. Their L actions are 2.0",1.75" or 1.65".Their EX actions are 2.0" and 2.5".

Single shot actions will always be structurally stiffer than those with a cutout for mag feeding.

he's talking about the thread major diameter, not the receiver od.