• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

People Familiar with Portland - Check In...(FML, getting relo'd there temporarily)

chrome

Private
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2005
    SoCal
    Better half is active duty navy, and her ship is going into dry dock later this year in fucking Portland, OR.

I never, ever thought the navy would take us to that fucking city, but it's a long availability and I'll be heading up with her. All bullshit aside, if anyone has pointers on where to live (we'll be doing AirBNB/executive rental etc) that is as isolated from all the fuckery, that'd be great.

Where will the boat be, and how much of the time will she need to be on it?

There is actually a lot of nice country around Portland. They get a bad rap because of the minority that make the news.

I'm assuming the vessel will be in dry dock on the south side of the North Portland peninsula .
    You don't want to live in North Portland.
    Look for a place in Northwest on the other side of the Willamette River....Germantown road will get you up to Skyline - where you can live in the woods, quietly. It's just across the St John's Bridge from North Portland
    Portland isnt all bad.
    Food scene is great,so is the brewing and distilling.
    Bring your guns. There's great shooting on BLM land in the coast range, a 45 min. drive.... and a decent range in Sherwood.
    Send me a PM if you need more specific info.
    Where are you coming in from?

Last edited:
    I'm assuming the vessel will be in dry dock on the south side of the North Portland peninsula .
    Look for a place in Northwest on the other side if the Wilamette. Just across the St John's Bridge.
    Portland isnt all bad.
    Food scene is great,so it's the brewing and distilling.
    Bring your guns. There's great shooting on BLM land in the coast range, a 45 min. drive.... and a decent range in Sherwood.

Thx sir, absolutely will do.

Avoid multnomah county. Clackamas county is the doing a good job of repelling the homeless filth that has infected the city. Oregon City is hard to beat if you don’t want to live in Portland.

25 min from 1000 yards at Douglas Ridge without the Fudd problems at Tri County.

Oh, and prepare yourself for the snakes and rain....it'll probably stop raining by July 5th but then the snakes come out...

Better half is active duty navy, and her ship is going into dry dock later this year in fucking Portland, OR.

I never, ever thought the navy would take us to that fucking city, but it's a long availability and I'll be heading up with her. All bullshit aside, if anyone has pointers on where to live (we'll be doing AirBNB/executive rental etc) that is as isolated from all the fuckery, that'd be great.
    probably ? , going into drydock over on swan island area .

what other Post say's , Rent or Buy around here, is just artificially inflated to the Max around here .

what ( dustingaunder ) posted ,, DougRidge is nice Range out over by Estacada/Eagle creek area . Also ( TCGC ) TriCounties gun club, over in Tualatin/Sherwood area is also not to shabby ...LOL
    Douglas ridge goes out to 1-K . they used to or still do have a good F-class group over there .
    TCGC only goes out to 600 yrd. but is probably one of the plushest gun club on W.coast, with everything from 100-2-3 yrd , indoor rimfire range , blackpowder range, archery range, action range steel-paper .. and also Trap/Skeet. ..etc.

Reactions: chrome
    Look for a place in Northwest on the other side of the Willamette River....Germantown road will get you up to Skyline - where you can live in the woods, quietly. It's just across the St John's Bridge from North Portland
    Portland isnt all bad.
    Food scene is great,so is the brewing and distilling.
    Where are you coming in from?

Will be coming up from San Diego.

Reactions: PDXGS
    When do you expect to arrive?
    Summers here are pretty damned nice, despite the snakes . As the pandemic evolves traffic will start to get messy. No where near as messy as SD, but still a pain in the ass. Minimize your wife's commute and thank me for it later.

When do you expect to arrive?
    Summers here are pretty damned nice, despite the snakes . As the pandemic evolves traffic will start to get messy. No where near as messy as SD, but still a pain in the ass. Minimize your wife's commute and thank me for it later.

what kind of snakes? Timber rattlers? or are we talking rat snakes and chicken snakes?

I lived in Portland from '92 to '96. It was the beer capital of the universe, a different microbrew on every street corner.
    If you like to read Powells Books is THE book store.

Reactions: 07SGT4623
    Definitely find a place on the Washington side. Much nicer, less crime and despite the county sheriff being a douche bag, a pretty safe place.

Camas is nice and is a 5-10 minute drive to the bridge. Great little downtown with goods restaurants and breweries. No income tax in WA but no sales tax in OR. So live in WA and shop in OR. There are a lot of hide members/PRS shooters in this area.

The PNW is awesome and if you take advantage of what is to offer within a few hours drive in every direction, you will not want to leave.

I manage workers on both side of the bridge for a large enterprise, so understand the tax, traffic and worker sentiment. Trust me, everyone who can, lives on the Washington side. An extra 10% in your pocket a year, better schools, safer and less blue haired faggots.

what kind of snakes? Timber rattlers? or are we talking rat snakes and chicken snakes?
    2A9A5214-351C-409C-96FA-5850CABD5CAB.jpg

Avoid multnomah county. Clackamas county is the doing a good job of repelling the homeless filth that has infected the city. Oregon City is hard to beat if you don’t want to live in Portland.

25 min from 1000 yards at Douglas Ridge without the Fudd problems at Tri County.
    doug ridge has a 1000yd range.

doug ridge has a 1000yd range.
    Doesn't matter, Douglas ridge sucks balls.

The long range stuff is only like one Thursday per month. Great for the geriatrics and lame who don't work.

FUDD run club by a bunch of fucking idiots. Won't let you shoot steel and nazis about everything.

I shoot there occasionally to stay out of the rain for load development, but the organized ranges in the area all suck. Best find some public land or know someone with private.

There are some amazing shooting facilities but they are 3-5 hour drive. Thats what It takes if you want to shoot matches. Shit I just did 5 hours each way for a match on Saturday at Blue Ridge. Great time.

Doesn't matter, Douglas ridge sucks balls.

The long range stuff is only like one Thursday per month. Great for the geriatrics and lame who don't work.

FUDD run club by a bunch of fucking idiots. Won't let you shoot steel and nazis about everything.

I shoot there occasionally to stay out of the rain for load development, but the organized ranges in the area all suck. Best find some public land or know someone with private.

There are some amazing shooting facilities but they are 3-5 hour drive. Thats what It takes if you want to shoot matches. Shit I just did 5 hours each way for a match on Saturday at Blue Ridge. Great time.
    It’s every Thursday, all day. You can shoot steel too you just have to set it up at the back of the dynamic range. About 550 from the 600 yard line and 850 from the 1000 yard line.

Fair enough, just not worth it. A guy I know on the board tried to get them to open some more stuff up for PR and they blew him off. Cant even get a place to zero 50m for rimfire.

The quasi-homo liberal gun owners who run these clubs are about the last person you want to associate with.

Thank god for public land.

I would second the opinions of going over into Washington to find a place... South to Wilsonville would be a PITA drive.
    You might find a "Floating Home" that the owner would rent out near the boat yard.
    I would not go West to Washington County due to the gridlock on the freeway.
    There are a lot of OK places to eat, walk the river front, nice old book stores (Powell's)
    Go down and have a Rubin at Goose Hollow and catch one of the minor league ball games.
    No sales tax in Oregon, Sales tax in Washington...
    IDK... Just make the best of it. You could be sent to some worse places.

Not to sound too crazy, but I would want to be atleast 200ft above sea level anywhere near the Columbia, and as far inland as possible. The cascadia subduction zone quake levels the PNW every 3-500 or so years. All the major agencies in the region have hardened their infrastructure and have contingency plans to work around this. Alot of money has been spent in the last 20 years or so to plan for this. 80-90% of the bridges in the region will drop, Most of the high rises in Portland and Seattle will pancake and both city centers will be underwater for some time. Hundreds of thousands will die and millions will be displaced.

Last one was in 1700. We are already in that window for this and when it happens, it will send a rush up the Columbia and you want to be high enough and far enough away to be able to ride it out. Its going to be the biggest natural disaster in American history when it does happen.

Agree, live on the Washington side. Vancouver is nice, I-5 corridor isn't too terrible of a commute to get over to the shipyard location. Bridge traffic can back up, but that's true most any direction you have to drive.

Public land is good to shoot on, lots of options around here. If you like rifle matches, we have a crap ton that are within a 3-5 hour drive.

Reactions: Steel head
    ...not really....it's just an effort to continue to de-promote Portland and Oregon in general
    LOL. I was wondering what you were going on about the snakes in the valley, thinking to myself, WTF, a handful of garters? I get it now...

ETA: I suppose I can add, that for the likely "work" location, WA would be a decent choice, either Vancouver, or Camas. I don't know the area of Scapoose, OR well (Oregon side, north of Portland), but that wouldn't be a bad trip either; it's probably not as nice as Vancouver and I'm not real familiar with the living conditions there, but it's a bit rural, so unlikely to have the Portland crazies...perhaps someone else can chime in on that one.

I live SW of Portland and you probably wouldn't want to bother with the areas I'm more familiar with; rent for temporary residence is probably high and commute to Portland is terrible.

Last edited:
    Reactions: PDXGS
    Not to sound too crazy, but I would want to be atleast 200ft above sea level anywhere near the Columbia, and as far inland as possible. The cascadia subduction zone quake levels the PNW every 3-500 or so years. All the major agencies in the region have hardened their infrastructure and have contingency plans to work around this. Alot of money has been spent in the last 20 years or so to plan for this. 80-90% of the bridges in the region will drop, Most of the high rises in Portland and Seattle will pancake and both city centers will be underwater for some time. Hundreds of thousands will die and millions will be displaced.

Last one was in 1700. We are already in that window for this and when it happens, it will send a rush up the Columbia and you want to be high enough and far enough away to be able to ride it out. Its going to be the biggest natural disaster in American history when it does happen.
    The good news is that the wave isn't expected to crest over the Portland bluff adjacent to The University of Portland (UP)...... it's a bit of a hillside scramble up from Swann Island but it can be done...also, the main FEMA rallying point for Portland is at UP.
    72032DDE-F742-414C-891E-0143DD62C2B8.png

This
    Vancouver, camas and Washougal are far better.
    If you head east on 84 Sandy isn’t bad as well.
    Sandy is on 26. Homeless camps are getting pretty thick there though...

Other than that, Portland is a dumpster fire. If you stay in the Germantown road area, you'll need skinny jeans, a manbun and beard oil. Like others have said, spend as much time as far away from Multnomah county as possible.
    Wife works pretty close to where the ship will be and she commutes from Oregon city area.

My recommendation would be estacada area. You can pretend Portland doesn't exist and minutes away from shooting/fishing/hiking.

Sandy is on 26. Homeless camps are getting pretty thick there though...

Other than that, Portland is a dumpster fire. If you stay in the Germantown road area, you'll need skinny jeans, a manbun and beard oil. Like others have said, spend as much time as far away from Multnomah county as possible.
    Wife works pretty close to where the ship will be and she commutes from Oregon city area.

My recommendation would be estacada area. You can pretend Portland doesn't exist and minutes away from shooting/fishing/hiking.
    Yea
    I was thinking troutdale.

Even in a lot of the smaller towns man buns, BLM and antifa BS is easy to see now around Portland

Reactions: Two36
    Yea
    I was thinking troutdale.

Even in a lot of the smaller towns man buns, BLM and antifa BS is easy to see now around Portland
    So true. I'm hoping the earthquake will wipe the slate clean sooner than later.
    We're looking hard at Montana or Alaska.

Fair enough, just not worth it. A guy I know on the board tried to get them to open some more stuff up for PR and they blew him off. Cant even get a place to zero 50m for rimfire.

The quasi-homo liberal gun owners who run these clubs are about the last person you want to associate with.

Thank god for public land.
    You can shoot 50m on the covered 200 yard rifle range every day of the week except Thursday when it’s closed for LR.

Thanks, but yeah, sorry thats not a variable thats gonna drive a decision. We're there for 7 months.