• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

People Familiar with Portland - Check In...(FML, getting relo'd there temporarily)

It’s one of the best places for long range shooting…enjoy it and just stay out of Portland and you will be fine. I was stationed in Portland until 2021 and shot at DRRC all the time. I was stationed in San Diego from 2011-2013…. Oregon was by far better…they allow suppressors and have green trees and green mountains. I lived in Oregon City it was a perfect balance to run to the coast or the mountains to go snowboarding.

Attachments

• 20220309_161203.jpg
    20220309_161203.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
It’s every Thursday, all day. You can shoot steel too you just have to set it up at the back of the dynamic range. About 550 from the 600 yard line and 850 from the 1000 yard line.

When I left they were adding a steel pit to the right of the main pit at about 975 yds , did that ever get completed? I was on the planning team, it was all approved and a go when I left? They budgeted 7500$ and was going to provide ar 500 targets?

Last edited:
When I left they were adding a steel pit to the right of the main pit at about 975 yds , did that ever get completed? I was on the planning team, it was all approved and a go when I left? They budgeted 7500$ and was going to provide ar 500 targets?
No I don’t think so. President I don’t think likes the KD range guys. He came and shut us down one Thursday at 7 unannounced so we didnt disturb the club meeting they decided to have over by the 1k line outside. One of our group drove over an hour to get there and never squeezed a round. We were shooting at 600 and pissed. They paved the road all the way to the 600 yard pits though. And left the speed limit 10. Oh and they raised the price and the cost of not doing a work day.

It’s one of the best places for long range shooting…enjoy it and just stay out of Portland and you will be fine. I was stationed in Portland until 2021 and shot at DRRC all the time. I was stationed in San Diego from 2011-2013…. Oregon was by far better…they allow suppressors and have green trees and green mountains. I lived in Oregon City it was a perfect balance to run to the coast or the mountains to go snowboarding.

I'm in Arizona and miss Oregon for the same reasons. People were more laid back up there too, out here they're all crazy as bedbugs.

Better half is active duty navy, and her ship is going into dry dock later this year in fucking Portland, OR.
All bullshit aside, if anyone has pointers on where to live (we'll be doing AirBNB/executive rental etc) that is as isolated from all the fuckery, that'd be great.

Do you have children that you are going to put in public school? If so, I would avoid living in Portland and stay out of Multnomah county. Look at either Washington or Clackamas counties unless you can afford private school.

You can have up to 50 fentanyl pills for "personal use" in Portland. I'll let you do the math on how that works out with the local homeless population. We managed to attract addicts from all over the west coast. I would not recommend anything in multnomah county if you were moving here permanently. It is a social experiment gone wrong that is apparent to everyone except the people who still live there. The majority of the shootings don't make the news and the city is incapable of solving that problem.

If you are just passing through for 7 months I would live close to work so I didn't have to sit in traffic. Commuting over the bridge to WA would not be worth it to me. Washington still has the rule of law for the most part and they are not as woke as Portland. If you don't mind the drive it is a better choice. One of the big reasons people live there is for the tax advantage. Unless the law has changed, military salary is not subject to the Oregon income tax and she will get a refund at the end of the year.

The "close to work" Portland neighborhood I would recommend the south waterfront. There are a lot of rentals down there, some of the buildings allow section 8 housing so you may want to avoid that. The city does not allow homeless or any shenanigans with junkie street shitters. OHSU police actually patrol the area and keep it under control for the most part. You can't buy horse or M30s on every corner like Portland proper. Lots of wealthy retired folks live there close to OHSU hospital and clinics. The location and convenience will cost you. Pay for off street parking unless you want to get your car prowled or catalytic converter stolen.

Lots to do in Oregon if you like outdoor activities. It is a beautiful state that needs to be purged or at least ban narcan.

Delenda Est Portland

Last edited:
Do you have children that you are going to put in public school? If so, I would avoid living in Portland and stay out of Multnomah county. Look at either Washington or Clackamas counties unless you can afford private school.

You can have up to 50 fentanyl pills for "personal use" in Portland. I'll let you do the math on how that works out with the local homeless population. We managed to attract addicts from all over the west coast. I would not recommend anything in multnomah county if you were moving here permanently. It is a social experiment gone wrong that is apparent to everyone except the people who still live there. The majority of the shootings don't make the news and the city is incapable of solving that problem.

If you are just passing through for 7 months I would live close to work so I didn't have to sit in traffic. Commuting over the bridge to WA would not be worth it to me. Washington still has the rule of law for the most part and they are not as woke as Portland. If you don't mind the drive it is a better choice. One of the big reasons people live there is for the tax advantage. Unless the law has changed, military salary is not subject to the Oregon income tax and she will get a refund at the end of the year.

The "close to work" Portland neighborhood I would recommend the south waterfront. There are a lot of rentals down there, some of the buildings allow section 8 housing so you may want to avoid that. The city does not allow homeless or any shenanigans with junkie street shitters. OHSU police actually patrol the area and keep it under control for the most part. You can't buy horse or M30s on every corner like Portland proper. Lots of wealthy retired folks live there close to OHSU hospital and clinics. The location and convenience will cost you. Pay for off street parking unless you want to get your car prowled or catalytic converter stolen.

Lots to do in Oregon if you like outdoor activities. It is a beautiful state that needs to be purged or at least ban narcan.

Delenda Est Portland

Thanks man, appreciate the above, great intel. Luckily, just my wife and I (no kids, no pets), so dont have to worry about those dynamics.

Correct on the tax statement as well, we are Florida residents still and will remain so so long as she's active duty, so the state income tax variable isn't at play for us as FLorida has 0% state income tax.

Thanks man, appreciate the above, great intel. Luckily, just my wife and I (no kids, no pets), so dont have to worry about those dynamics.

Correct on the tax statement as well, we are Florida residents still and will remain so so long as she's active duty, so the state income tax variable isn't at play for us as FLorida has 0% state income tax.
So you got a sugar momma

Better half is active duty navy, and her ship is going into dry dock later this year in fucking Portland, OR.

I never, ever thought the navy would take us to that fucking city, but it's a long availability and I'll be heading up with her. All bullshit aside, if anyone has pointers on where to live (we'll be doing AirBNB/executive rental etc) that is as isolated from all the fuckery, that'd be great.
Live in beaver creek or Oregon city area

Reactions: chrome

I never, ever thought the navy would take us to that fucking city, but it's a long availability and I'll be heading up with her. All bullshit aside, if anyone has pointers on where to live (we'll be doing AirBNB/executive rental etc) that is as isolated from all the fuckery, that'd be great.
If she likes girly stuff heres a suggestion.

On the west side of Portland, up the hill past the Zoo, is a really beautiful, tranquil, Japanese Zen Garden, supposed to be one of the nicest outside Japan. In the spring go up there for sunrise and watch the sun come op over Mt. Hood. Then walk down the mountain to the International Rose Test Station. More roses than you can imagine.

Japanese Gardens
japanese-garden.jpg

www.travelportland.com › portland-japanese-gardenPortland Japanese Garden | The Official Guide to Portland

Nov 29, 2021 · Tucked into the scenic West Hills of Portland, above Washington Park and near the International Rose Test Garden, the Portland Japanese Garden is a haven of meticulously

International Rose Test Station

international-rose-test-garden.jpg

www.portland.gov › parks › washington-parkInternational Rose Test Garden - Portland.gov

Reactions: chrome and PDXGS
It’s a long commute….there’s meth and the legacy of meth everywhere in the Pacific Northwest.
As long as you stay west of 405, South of the Ross Island Bridge on the west side or East of 205 and south of Hwy 26 on the east side you can avoid a lot of the shit.
The Bethany area is fairly isolated from the shit and isn’t an impossible commute over the St. John’s bridge via Germantown , Newberry or Cornelius Pass roads.

Last edited:
Looks like a longer commute into the docks from there, unless I mapped it wrong. Or is that the price to pay to stay away from the shit.
Be sure to look at the commute times that u are actually going to make when making the drive. While Vancouver is technically 15 minutes away that is only in the middle of the night. Get on Waze and look at commute times.
On Instagram you can peruse wtfportland and posportland to get a feel for living in Portland proper.

Reactions: chrome and PDXGS
Battleground for the win on the Washington side. Vancouver is meh but 100% better than Multnomah County. The Clark County Gun Club was a great place to shoot back when I was out there. Hopefully that hasn’t changed.

Washington County or Clackamas County for Oregon side. Newberg and the surrounding farm country are gorgeous. DO NOT live in Multnomah County. The homeless addicts are all over including suburbia of Multnomah County.

Dont worry the poor dumb sad souls who live in Oregon will talk this guy into moving to that shithole state instead of the 100% better option that the vast majority of educated and intellegent people who live in the region already made for themselves. I hire hundreds of people a year and anytime I give them the option (even when I don't they beg) they choose to live and work in Washington. Over half the people who have to work in Oregon, still choose to live in Washington. Its called a hint.

Battleground for the win on the Washington side. Vancouver is meh but 100% better than Multnomah County. The Clark County Gun Club was a great place to shoot back when I was out there. Hopefully that hasn’t changed.

Battle Ground is nice, it's grown a lot and is actually starting to have traffic of it's own. Would be a long commute to the shipyard. If you want to live farther out from Vancouver and don't mind a commute Ridgefield and La Center are both solid choices.

Clark County Gun Club has a LONG wait list for members, and is pretty restrictive when it comes to anything like PRS style shooting (no barricades, got to qualify just to shoot 300 yards from a bench, etc). Plenty of nicer places to shoot on public land.

Wherever you land in town, drop a PM when you get here. We'll get you out to one of the local PRS (or non-affiliated) club matches. There's at least one a month, more often 2 per month.

Shooting is fun.
Shooting long range is more fun.
Shooting long range at matches with cool people is the most fun of all.

Both myself and @DeathBeforeDismount are regulars, plus there are many other locals to PDX who are in the match scene who are also here on the hide.

Wherever you land in town, drop a PM when you get here. We'll get you out to one of the local PRS (or non-affiliated) club matches. There's at least one a month, more often 2 per month.

Shooting is fun.

Both myself and @DeathBeforeDismount are regulars, plus there are many other locals to PDX who are in the match scene who are also here on the hide.

That's what I miss about Oregon, the general attitude. People are a bit more laid back and friendly up there vs here in Arizona.

Shooting is fun.

Awesome, thx sir.

Reactions: Sheldon N
Throwing out a hypothetical variable:

Living here in this area with 2 adults but only 1 car, of which the wife will use primarily to commute to docks.

Do the areas recommended above still stay true, knowing I'd like to live in an area where I can walk to gym/food/coffee/etc? I work from home and client sites (which is uber to airport).

Or fuck all that noise and get a 2nd car?

That's a wrench in the works!
Each region of the Portland Metro area has a cluster of shops as a core.
You can live in or near these but the majority of them are in areas that aren't great for peace and quiet,parking, etc.. Look for the locations of McMenamins restaurants, New Seasons and Whole Foods Markets.
Have a look at the urban centers around SE Sellwood, SE Belmont, NW Thurman, Bethany Village, SW Multnomah Village, SW Garden Home, Progress Ridge, Cedar Mill.
Also, the weather from mid October to April 1st can be nasty enough to make a stroll not fun.
The adage that there's no bad weather, just bad gear choices was created here!
Have a look at the Bike share/rental locations for these urban centers.
Also, unless you find a smoking SoCal car deal, buy a second car when you get here and decide that you need one....no tax, lower reg fees, etc.

How much are you looking to spend? Apartment ok or do you need a house? Downtown Camas or the new Vancouver Waterfront would be nice areas to consider.

This area was just built up with restaurants, wineries, bars and is a short walk to downtown. All brand new

BAH for an E5 is $2.2K or an O3 its $2.8k in this zip code.

Camas is much less commercial so you will most likely be looking at a house or newer condo.

BAH rates are the same.

The nice thing is you are only about 15 minutes from the airport from either site and its probably it is the fastest airport in the US as far as getting through security is, even with all the construction.

How much are you looking to spend? Apartment ok or do you need a house? Downtown Camas or the new Vancouver Waterfront would be nice areas to consider.

This area was just built up with restaurants, wineries, bars and is a short walk to downtown. All brand new

BAH for an E5 is $2.2K or an O3 its $2.8k in this zip code.

Camas is much less commercial so you will most likely be looking at a house or newer condo.

BAH rates are the same.

The nice thing is you are only about 15 minutes from the airport from either site and its probably it is the fastest airport in the US as far as getting through security is, even with all the construction.
Since this is a TDY and not a PCS, we are going to be able to get out of our lease here in San Diego, but maintain our San Diego BAH.

We will ideally want a furnished place as well.

Thx for those links, will add them to the rsearch.

Since this is a TDY and not a PCS, we are going to be able to get out of our lease here in San Diego, but maintain our San Diego BAH.

We will ideally want a furnished place as well.

Thx for those links, will add them to the rsearch.
That is awesome. I will do some digging for furnished apartments. I know they were littered around DC and Crystal City with all the 3 year TDY to pentagon. $3K a month got a nice lux furnished appartment in a highrise at the time. I can't imagine what they are now, 8-10 years later.

Holy fark. Who doesn't have a 2nd car?

My daughter is 23 and has 4. One is worth more than the average home. She's military and has worked for all of them.

Holy fark. Who doesn't have a 2nd car?

My daughter is 23 and has 4. One is worth more than the average home. She's military and has worked for all of them.

We lived in NoVA/DC for 3 years prior to Cali, and didn't have ANY car. It was fucking amazing. Borrowed my buddy's truck (or went with him) anytime we went to quantico for LR shooting saturdays.

Bought one before we came to Cali, and live in downtown San Diego so she commutes to 32nd street base and i dont need one where we are at currently, and if I do, Uber it is.

Reactions: eflyguy
We lived in NoVA/DC for 3 years prior to Cali, and didn't have ANY car. It was fucking amazing. Borrowed my buddy's truck (or went with him) anytime we went to quantico for LR shooting saturdays.

Bought one before we came to Cali, and live in downtown San Diego so she commutes to 32nd street base and i dont need one where we are at currently, and if I do, Uber it is.
Depends on where you live.

There is no public transport in our area.

Yeah, the transportation infrastructure here isn't as well thought out as San Diego....as bad as that is, this is much worse. The average driver in the Pacific Northwest is a moron at best and more likely a meth addled shit bag. Driving skills are non-existent. Add the weather, poorly maintained roads and driving here becomes a more challenging game....That's why I'm suggesting places where you or your partner can minimize the time behind the wheel....It's a compromise.
I'm sure people on the dryer side of OR and WA will chime in that drivers there are better.....they aren't.

Yeah, the transportation infrastructure here isn't as well thought out as San Diego....as bad as that is, this is much worse. The average driver in the Pacific Northwest is a moron at best and more likely a meth addled shit bag. Driving skills are non-existent. Add the weather, poorly maintained roads and driving here becomes a more challenging game....That's why I'm suggesting places where you or your partner can minimize the time behind the wheel....It's a compromise.
I'm sure people on the dryer side of OR and WA will chime in that drivers there are better.....they aren't.

Rog, thanks.

There is a chance my wife gets issued a POV as the CO, but we wont know that for a hot minute.

Looks like a longer commute into the docks from there, unless I mapped it wrong. Or is that the price to pay to stay away from the shit.
Docks? Ex casual long shoreman here. Those are my favorite areas but just remember the closer to the center of 205 i5 heart you get the wilder shit gets.

Docks? Ex casual long shoreman here. Those are my favorite areas but just remember the closer to the center of 205 i5 heart you get the wilder shit gets.

100% Agreed. Im honestly not sure which "dry dock" her LCS is going into

Its vigor shipyard, the LCS ships are the worst designed ship and prone to all types of problems ….but hey they look cool hahah

I wish I could share all the stories I have. But one hundo thousand percent.

LCS program is by far and way the largest fraud waste event in the surface navy is recent memory (my opinion).

Granted, hers was good nuff to deploy to SCS for last 7 months so at least it served some type of "purpose".

No I don’t think so. President I don’t think likes the KD range guys. He came and shut us down one Thursday at 7 unannounced so we didnt disturb the club meeting they decided to have over by the 1k line outside. One of our group drove over an hour to get there and never squeezed a round. We were shooting at 600 and pissed. They paved the road all the way to the 600 yard pits though. And left the speed limit 10. Oh and they raised the price and the cost of not doing a work day.
It’s still on …the president (Fred) is actually the one that got ball moving because the old timers have been shutting the idea down for awhile. If you pm your email address I’ll get you in on the email string… there going to be starting soon and they were budgeted 7500 to make modifications to add steel at 975 yds

Last edited: