• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Please help with bullet weight choice

BORG_888

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Bothell, WA
Hi guys,

I have a GAP Gladius 1:10 twist barrel at 18" long. So far, I've tried FGMM 168gr and BlackHills 175gr with not much success. My 5-shot groups are just not within the 1/2 MOA factory guarantee (more like 3/4-1.0 MOA). I had no problems achieving the 3/8 MOA guarantee on a Crusader which I sold recently ....

So please help me figure out:

(1) What would be the ideal bullet weight based off a 1:10 twist barrel @ 18 inches long?

(2) Which factory match ammo would you recommend (I can't hand-load owing to space constraints)?

Appreciate any input that would help me out. Thanks!!

- BORG

BORG_888
I do not own a Gladius but as far as I know, these short rifles are serious tack drivers. If you watched Tyler on his video for GAP Gladius, he is using Black Hills 168 Match BTHP but the Fed GMM 168 and the Black Hills 175 should work well too in your rifle.
Did you try these for several days, or did you just made one trip to the range? I am asking this because we all have bad days, even when we think we are doing everything right.
Was the wind a factor? Was the rifle clean enough? Is everything tight (scope, rail). Were you more comfortable behind your Crusader and you may need an adaptation time behind the Gladius? Were your ammo new and/or stored in a decent location.
If everything checks normal, I would try it again and would ask a couple of friends (good shooters) to get behind the Gladius and send several groups; as the Gladius does better than MOA.
If after this you still have issue, then call GAP.
Some other shooters may have few other ideas on this; let's see what they have to say.
Good luck and good shooting.
Ombre noire

Ombre noire - thank you for your advice. Yes, I've watched the video and hence my disappointment with the results on my rifle. I will however make a couple more trips to the range to confirm my findings.

I'm curious about your comment "was the rifle clean enough". What kind of cleaning regiment would you propose? I've heard some say not to clean away the copper. Others say some fouling is 'necessary'. Also, what are you thoughts that a 1:10 twist can stabilize a heavier bullet, like say the Hornady Superperformance 178gr Match?

Thanks for your help.

Ombre noire - thank you for your advice. Yes, I've watched the video and hence my disappointment with the results on my rifle. I will however make a couple more trips to the range to confirm my findings.

I'm curious about your comment "was the rifle clean enough". What kind of cleaning regiment would you propose? I've heard some say not to clean away the copper. Others say some fouling is 'necessary'. Also, what are you thoughts that a 1:10 twist can stabilize a heavier bullet, like say the Hornady Superperformance 178gr Match?

Thanks for your help.

Without being too complicated, I was just making sure your barrel was not overly dirty, as it could affect accuracy. I was in a foreign country's army and we were cleaning our rifles after shooting, or after a mission, or whenever we could, as we never knew if it would be possible later on (always keep your weapon clean, must go Bang when needed). I was not a Sniper but I learned that it is good to shoot few shots from your "precision rifle" after you clean it, so you would not have that "cold bore" shot. That is, if you want your rifle to be ready to go for that "one shot". For other weapons, such as full auto "grease guns", or semi auto rifles, machine guns, etc...we did not bother shooting them after cleaning, as they were not so accurate to start with.
If you are not going to use your rifle for a while, I would suggest running an oil patch through the bore before storing it. Make sure you run few dry patches before shooting it again, in order to remove the oil.
The 1-10 twist will handle well a 178 gr bullet; the 178 AMAX is a good bullet, I never tried the Superformance.
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

Last edited:
I had a Gladius but sold it only because I ended up not commiting to the SF can (it was too loud with just the brake). To me, the rifle felt a bit squirrely when trying to push bullets too fast thru it. 45.7 Varget/155 Palma and 42.4gr IMR4064/175 SMK were the best loads for me. Both in Lapua brass. The 175 load took me out to 750 just fine. 800-850 was where is started getting hard.