• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes PMII reticles

Bevan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
I have a P4F 3-12, considering sticking it on my .223AI and getting a P4 3-12 for my 6.5x47 instead of the current scope, the P4F strikes me as a little thin on lower powers, is the P4 thin enough on higher powers to be useful at longer ranges?

anyone got a comparison photo of P4/P4F reticle or know the thicknesses of each in mil or moa?

Re: PMII reticles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a P4F 3-12, considering sticking it on my .223AI and getting a P4 3-12 for my 6.5x47 instead of the current scope, the P4F strikes me as a little thin on lower powers, is the P4 thin enough on higher powers to be useful at longer ranges?</div></div>
The P4F is a little too fine for my tastes in the 3-12X's range, as don't really like the P4F below 8X (and I love fine reticles). A P4 would be a good choice in the 3-12X, but is too thick at any magnification for precision shooting because of the line width thickness (.24" at 100 yards).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone got a comparison photo of P4/P4F reticle or know the thicknesses of each in mil or moa? </div></div>
I don't have any through-the-scope photos, but while through-the-scope photos can be a useful they really aren't the best way to compare reticle thicknesses. A better way to compare reticle thicknesses is to compare the specified line widths from the reticle PDFs' against each other and then use either calipers, micrometers, or fine-graduated steel rulers side-by-side. There is a big difference between the P4 and the P4F.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PMII P4F Reticle Diagram. Notice Reticle Dimension "C", spec'ed at .130" at 100 yards/.35 cm at 100 meters:</span></span>
P4FineDiagram495x631.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">PMII P4 Reticle Diagram. Notice "Dimension "C", spec'ed at .240" at 100 yards/.67 cm at 100 meters:</span></span>
P4Diagram495x640.jpg

Keith

thanks I couldn't find those dimensions anywhere

.67cm at 100m is still only 6.7cm at 1000 meters, that's pretty damn fine really, considering anything I could reasonably expect to hit at 1000 meters is much larger than 6.7cm

it will be going on a hunting rifle and I am finding the P4f too thin on lower powers, was concerned that the P4 would be too thick for deer/goats etc out at 600-700 meters but with those numbers it should be fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks I couldn't find those dimensions anywhere</div></div>
Those reticle diagrams and more are shown in the PMII Instruction Manual. For future reference, you should download the PMII Instruction Manual off of the Schmidt Bender USA, Inc. web site. The link is along the left side of the page of the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"<span style="color: #FF0000">Police Marksman</span>"</span></span> page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it will be going on a hunting rifle and I am finding the P4f too thin on lower powers, was concerned that the P4 would be too thick for deer/goats etc out at 600-700 meters but with those numbers it should be fine </div></div>
So this is going on a hunting rifle? You didn't mention that in your initial post. I concur with you about the P4F on the lower powers - as I said, I find the P4F is a little too fine for my tastes on lower powers. The P4 would definitely be a better choice for a 3-12X on a hunting rifle. The P4 is easier to see than the P4F and you should be able see the P4 against goat hides' easily enough for a solid aiming point at 600-700 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.67cm at 100m is still only 6.7cm at 1000 meters, that's pretty damn fine really, considering anything I could reasonably expect to hit at 1000 meters is much larger than 6.7cm</div></div>
While 6.7 cm is fairly fine at 1,000 meters, that is the <span style="font-style: italic">coverage area</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">(the area being obscured)</span>, NOT the target itself. Reticle "thickness" is relative to target size as well as to other reticles. I like to challenge myself with 1/2 MOA or smaller targets at long range with a .308. 1/2 MOA targets at 1,000 yards are 5.2350"/13.2969 cm in diameter. The P4 obscurs 2.4" (a bit less than one half of the target), while the P4F only obscures 1.3" (less than one fourth of the target). The greater amount of exposed target allows more precise centering of the reticle on the target, especially a small one. A 5.2" target looks pretty small at 12X, even with great glass and low mirage, so a fine reticle really helps.

Keith