• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

POI shift when changing barrels between calibers and back?

pdice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2010
I think I'd like to get a second 308 barrel for my rifle. It's currently a tooley remington pattern action with a 260 rem barrel on it. What should I expect for POI shift when re-torquing the 260 barrel back on?

Not sure you will get an answer here except for , you will have a shift. It may become more predictable if you write down the numbers after you do it the first time, too many variables to predict.

I'm doing a switch barrel syatem right now. No shift that I can account for. Everything's torqued to spec so no issues

even if you do have a shift (for whatever reason) as long as you can account for a 100yd zero you'll be fine

I run a DTA and if I switch from 6.5 Creedmoor to 308, my POI shift is something like 0.2 mils in elevation and 0.1 right, but it's repeatable. As long as your shift is repeatable, you can account for it when switching barrels just by dialing to your correction. Any dialing you do from then should be based on your current "zero", meaning if you have to start with your elevation at 0.2 mils because of a POI shift and you need to dial 8.7, you'll end up dialing to 8.9 or you can simply dial in your shift and re-zero the turret

I think I'd like to get a second 308 barrel for my rifle. It's currently a tooley remington pattern action with a 260 rem barrel on it. What should I expect for POI shift when re-torquing the 260 barrel back on?

Probably load and barrel dependent. When I changed my26" Tooley Bartlein .260 to my new .308 Tooley Bartlein .308, 24" bbl, using FGMM in each, my poi shift was 1-1/2" up and 1-1/2" right at 100 yards. 142gr SMKs in .260, 168 SMKs in .308. YMMV.

Harry

On my AI AT my barrels are very repeatedly as far as point of aim. I am on my second 260 barrel. It shoots to s different point of aim than the first one did. Ray