• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

Re: Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

Fuck 'em LL, you chose the caliber (I say that mostly becuase I want to see it in 260).

It would be cool (and would bump up the ordered number) if Terry would do a public release FOR this build!

If these happen, let me know where to send a deposit.

I voted for the 308, but if I could change that to 260 I would.

CJG

I'm really OK with any of those calibers...

I may have it worked out were we can do both, exact same spec, just in either caliber with the same barrel, no finish differences, only chamber and bore which isn't a big deal.

I'll keep you posted, it should be good... I don't think we are going to go in the Sentinel direction, maybe when Terry can we can do something before his official public release, but I don't want to put that on him.

I am anxiously awaiting the specs!!!

KISS theory says 308, why deviate?, if deviate you must then I like a little more pony, 300wsm.

Voted .308, but would be more than happy with .260.

Voted 308, but I could start a thread looking for 260 brass, I would also be ok w/7-08 just would need to add to that brass stock as well.

Doesn't matter to be Frank, just put me down for one.

Thanks,
Mark

As I´m form Germany I don´t know if I can participate. But for a compact rifle I would really like a folding stock like the AICS 2.0. Why don´t you like folding stocks for such a compact rifle?
I also voted for .260

I wouldn't mind seeing the Creedmoor. I'm having a .308 built currently, so I'd be up for anything other than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I´m form Germany I don´t know if I can participate. But for a compact rifle I would really like a folding stock like the AICS 2.0. Why don´t you like folding stocks for such a compact rifle?
I also voted for .260
</div></div>

I love AI Rifles with folding stocks, even own a complete covert from AI.

I use folding stocks from them all the time, I have 4 in fact... but for this build the Chassis is not the right stock for this build.

Re: Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choi

6mm Crusader....?
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tribe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6mm Crusader....?
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Stick with a common caliber

.243 Win. 115 DTAC's are readily available and it will have the performance many here are looking for.

revised.... .308 for those of us who read the specs but are so f'n retarded that we forgot them after reading 60 responses.

Unfortunately I'm in no position to order, but I think 6.5 Creedmor would be the ticket. 260 is leading, but the non-availability of quality brass is what keeps me from trying a 260. 7-08 would be great, but I think its tough to load for to take advantage of the high BC 284 pills without over-pressuring.

How is the CM out of a 18" barrel? Has anyone done this? I searched and haven't seen any threads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately I'm in no position to order, but I think 6.5 Creedmor would be the ticket. 260 is leading, but the non-availability of quality brass is what keeps me from trying a 260. 7-08 would be great, but I think its tough to load for to take advantage of the high BC 284 pills without over-pressuring.</div></div>

How exactly is the .260 suffering from poor brass?

There are several options for the .260 Rem. Yes, the R-P brass is soft and at the bottom of the quality chain. But guess what, the cartridge will still shoot very small and fast with that brass.

Nosler and Norma are making brass for it now also.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Little bit of Weasel Craft for you that I prolly shouldn't even say anything about but W-W brand 7-08 Rem brass is the best setup currently on the .260Rem. W-W brass is harder than R-P, more consistent and close to the same price. Run the W-W brass through a FL .260Rem die, do a good inside neck chamfer and load the stuff. There is only about 0.001" max neck thickness difference in the loaded rounds. Most batches are 0.0005".

I loaded new W-W brass for the SHC this spring and it shot pretty good. I am still using off of that batch of ammo to test fire any .260Rems going out of here. It is consistently capable of back to back freak groups when the rifle and shooter are on. I have some customers shooting F-Class with Lapua .243Win cases necked up to .264 but I do not feel that is an advantage at all over what we are already doing.</span>Not trying to single you out brother, but everybody keeps throwing up the brass flag on the .260Rem and it's just doesn't hold water.

Black Hills and Cor-Bon (you're welcome Pete) can load ammo for the .260 if you are not a handloader. Don't know what direction the group here will go on caliber but brass shouldn't play even a small part in your decision making.

FWIW, I am a fan of the .260Rem but fairly ignorant of what performance penalties it has to pay with a short (sub 20") barrel. My .308Win has an 18.75" barrel and gets 2610 fps with Fed 168 Match. Ditto speed with my 175 load. And NO, it does not have any type of extra tight bore, just a .300/.308" Krieger 4 groove.

Typically the cartridges with generous bore/capacity ratios are the most efficient across shorter barrel spectrums. Taking the same case capacity as the .308Win and sticking a smaller neck on it will cut your efficiency with shorter barrels to a degree proportional to the size if the neckdown. As I said earlier, I just don't have any experience with the short .260s so I can't help there.

Just wanted to share what we are seeing and doing so that others may cut to the chase and enjoy their shooting more.

No wind,
Terry

I would agree, Terry. I load stock Rem brass for my 260. I haven't even cleaned primer pockets on it. I neck size, chamfer, and load it up. I was able to shoot a 1.5"- 5 shot group at 500 yards with it in competition. It will shoot fine. Don't over think it.

Just to throw a little more gas on the fire, the 7/08 with a 162 amax is a great round. I have not tested one with a barrel shorter than 22" inches, but will be shortly. We get 2800 fps with that combo, and it should be more tolerant than a 260 in the shorter barrel (18.5) because it is a more efficient cartridge.

Say it goes 2600 fps, 162 amax .625 bc. Hummm.

Thanks for the "weasel craft" tip Terry.

I must admit that I'm tossing the brass flag based on research online and I should know better than that by now, but the only reason I gave it any validity is based on the fact that the one 260 shooter I shoot with often seems to have a brass related issue about once every match. Again I should know better than to form an opinion off one person/rifle's experience.

I will pass on to him the WW 7-08 tip!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shooter I shoot with often seems to have a brass related issue about once every match. </div></div>
I know some of those guys! 99% of the time it's more of an error in reloading, and not the brass' fault.

Terry,

260 Tactical rifle is complete. Started tuning it last night out of my basement after moving my reloading desk over to the window..will post pictures of this set-up. Started with 42 gr. of H4350 up to 44 gr. and a top speed so far with a 142 SMK at over 2800 fps. Tuning target is 155 yards away and shot well without even getting into it yet.
As for brass, I purchased 500 pieces of Norma 260.

I will post pictures of project ASAP.

Thanks,
Tom
TVP

To the expert shooters,

What contour of barrel would be best suited for a rifle with a barrel length of 18"?

I've always wanted to own one of these fine Hide builds and I'm not sure if this year I will be passing on it. I'll leave the decision making to the pros of the forums though, it always turns out great! Although the .260 sounds great for <20" barrel.

i didnt hear any wind in that video. it doesnt count unless you have to tie your gear to the tower...or lose it.

shorter barrel i say .308 win. for the record i voted 6.5Cm though

you should all keep buying .308's. you dont need faster whizz bang rounds. honest...LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

you should all keep buying .308's. you dont need faster whizz bang rounds. honest...LOL</div></div>

exactly, especially considering I beat the whizz bang guy at his own game... first round at a 1000 yards (308, 22" bbl) with hostile witnesses and the 6.5CM went down with a whimper.
smile.gif

FYI;

For those who have been following this, and I have been getting a lot of PMs about it, yes this will be moving forward. So if you are wondering or if you putting something off because of this, the answer is yes.

As far as the details, well we have spec'd it out, but I am waiting off a small detail, however what I will say is this.

Caliber 308 or 260 - However they are spec'd the same.

Switch barrel capable

Sniper's Hide Spec'd length, 18.5" if you want something else you have to buy a second barrel.

But it is moving forward, we have already talked with the suppliers of the parts, and as soon as I am ready to announce it I will be.

Hoping the keep the price right at $3k, give or take an option like muzzle brake changes.

Stay tuned - more to follow

Sounds very interesting. Looking forward to see what kind of action LL goes with.

L.

Well know doubt that LL will but together some kick ass parts. But with it being a switch barrel, I am even more interested in this build.

L.

TT-A Barnard. barry

The Barnard SM action is very nice - very rigid, turned down firing pin that can handle stiffer loads (for the 6.5x 47 Lapua fans), three lugs that open easy, great extractor, fat bolt, "no blueprinting needed", etc.
The only issue that I know of thus far has been getting it to work with AI mags/BO bottom metal. This is in part to the fat bolt/three lug design. It also has to have the mag release machined a bit. It will work in an AI chassis with these mods although Roedale may have a chassis that can fix the mag release issue. As for the mags, the feed lips may still need to be machined to prevent the bolt from dragging. Mac Tilton (MT Guns) has put one together. Also called GAP about a build with this action a year or two ago but they hadn't worked with one. Al and Dan Warner have some experience with this action (not to mention the P action) and have made suggestions to the guys at Barnard on how to fix some of the issues. If you get the Barnard 07 rifle, no issues except you are limited to HS Precision mags.
Len

Also, if you want to put it in a McMillan stock, may need to inlet about an inch forward so it doesn't look weird. I was just out there and Ryan M. said it could be done (or just put it in an AI 2.0 and everyone would be happy). I've been wanting to build one for awhile now - just trying to get the right setup. However, I doubt this would be a candidate...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is AI selling you a batch of actions for the SH build?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Now wouldn't that be nice... LOL

Maybe it's a Savage. I heard those are the best!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe it's a Savage. I heard those are the best!</div></div>

He did say it would be a switch barrel....COOL!

Plaster Ultimate Sniper Stocks??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Plaster Ultimate Sniper Stocks??</div></div>

Too much to ask for!