• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

Re: Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choi

BAT 3L with integral lug would make a switch barrel easy to do...

The guys who speculated Savage were closer than the Barnard... I think that has been put to bed.
smile.gif

I especially like the idea of the Ultimate Sniper Stock, I am thinking we can get them signed by the "man" himself making this build extra Snipery

Oh man....never considered a T/C.

Honestly, I think that would be a turn off for me, but I haven't looked at them close enough to make that call right now. I'd be interested to see if they could be a good switch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The guys who speculated Savage were closer than the Barnard... I think that has been put to bed.
smile.gif

I especially like the idea of the Ultimate Sniper Stock, I am thinking we can get them signed by the "man" himself making this build extra Snipery </div></div>

Marlin XS7?

man you guys are good at this, but unfortunately, no.

By the way how many of you are buying one, that is the big question.
smile.gif

I guess that would depend on the action...
wink.gif
Quid pro quo...

Wny, you don't trust me... ?

I told you all you need to know, 3 lug, AW mags, Switch barrel... what else do you need, a brand name ? It you have to know Amp Energy is making it, from the JR Motorsport Shop... hows that for branding.

Tubb 2000?
Blaser 93?

I'm seriously thinking about one. I've got a couple other options, before I saw this, one of which I'll have to make a decision before Saturday.

The Savage Snipers Hide Plaster Disaster.

Where can I sign up, but I want my stock autographed, with a signed copy of the book.

If you're in a hurry this ain't it... I still have about 45 days before any official announcement, maybe a hair less, but not much... the devil's in the details.

Sagittarius.gif

Of course, threaded standard, muzzle brakes are optional... probably one of the only options, although there is talk of a NV rail/bridge.

Sounds good! I will start the paperwork now. Sorry, I accidently deleted me last post. That's what happens when you try altering a post, have fat fingers, and you are on your iPhone

maybe i missed it being distracted by the awesome plaster stocks idea, is there going to be a dollar amount that these rifles will be kept under or are these going to be allout the best that money can buy type rifles.

I'm in... so long as you SWEAR they'll be "EXTRA Snipery"...

So is this a glimpse into the builds designation? The Snipers Hide MOD ES (Extra Snipery)
laugh.gif

No it's not an overseas action, the Quadlite isn't it.

That picture rocks... reminds me of CKA when he is trying to be cool.

This build it going to be so Sniperific you'll shit yourself... it's definitely gonna strike the Snipery pose
IMG_0908.jpg

Re: Possible Sniper's Hide Spec Built Caliber Choices

I think we've seen .308's and 6.5's til they come out of our ears. I think it's time to explore the 7's.

Thinking about how the .260 employs the .308's case capacity with near-ideal efficiency, I was thinking that the .280 probably does the same thing with the '06's case capacity. The 6.5-'06 might outperform it but I think it's a bit overbore, and like the .280 better for that reason

It can do the .308/155 thingie with 120's, go median with 140's, and stretch things out there with 168/175's.

Powders like W760/H414 or Ramshot Big Game for lightweight/medians, and H4350/Ramshot Hunter for heavier stuff.

I don't suggest this for the currently contemplated build, since it's essentially locked into a short action. But for a long action, widely known commercial casing, non-magnum chambering on the next one, .280 anyone?

There's nada wrong with the '06, but maybe the .280 can raise its performance to a higher plateau.

I'll be looking into the .280 with 120's for the FV200 format, for starters. So far, 20 rounds into ladder testing with an R77V, recoil is negligible, and aside from some ?'s regarding double grouping, there appears to be 1/2MOA potential at 100yd. This is probably the first time the rifle's been fired in a decade ior two, and aside from some cleaning and inspection, it's not really been tweaked or anything yet. BTW, it has a sporter weight barreled sibling chambered in the same caliber that might make for a light tactical experiment.

Greg

I've been thinking about a 280 for a little while, I'm going to run my 30-06 for a while and then make me decision.

280 AI kicks AZZZ.But I dont see it being very applicable to an 18"build such as this.

Me neither; but come next time 'round...

I'd call it the ATTaboy, sorta reach out and touch.

Personally, not a fan of AI's, but to each his own. For a group build, my suggestion would be for the non-AI chambering.

I hear ya Greg the non AI 280 is great the AI is just a little greatererrr
grin.gif

I'm positive that my current fixation with both 7mm and .280 is due in at least some part to my recent inheritance of two R77s chambered in it and an M700 7mm Mag.

All that aside, I'm finding that the preliminary work with the heavy barreled R77V version is going along quite conventionally, and for a box-stock MKI Ruger, I must say it operates and shoots rather nicely. My initial concern, recoil, is not a significant issue (with the 120gr Nosler Baliistic Tips, anyway).

A friend very kindly cleaned up (I could substitute words like meticulous, and lovingly, he's very serious about this stuff) the rifle and reassembled everything, and it is indistinguishable (to my eye, anyway) from an NIB rifle. It's a family heirloom, and I handle it with some care; but regardless, any decent rifle needs a decent load to accompany it.

Anyway, I intend to explore the chambering with regard to accuracy at SR and MR distances, and develop some LR capable loads for testing should a suitible venue open up.

Greg

Did I miss the announcement?

I've been saving my pennies, if anyone hears anything, PM or email me!
Ken

I am stoked to see what the 10 pound rifle brains come up with for this rifle. Some of the past concepts were kickass and those builds definitely helped steer me in the direction I finally went with. If nothing else, it's great for people to see what components and specs experts go to with their own rifles, and why they choose those specs. Having said that, I think a gladius type rifle is definitely in my future when funds allow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately I'm in no position to order, but I think 6.5 Creedmor would be the ticket. 260 is leading, but the non-availability of quality brass is what keeps me from trying a 260. 7-08 would be great, but I think its tough to load for to take advantage of the high BC 284 pills without over-pressuring. </div></div>

This is what I would have said if he didn't say it first.

I'd still get one in 260, though. I know there is good brass for it, and good loads are being offered for it.

It just seems to me that the 6.5 Creedmore is what the 260 should have been.

With the right components, I don't see that there is really any signifigent difference, but I would go with the 6.5 Creedmore, given the choice.

I see that I should really finish reading a thread before I start spouting off, too...

This is still moving forward, I will be testing the 18" 260 when I arrive at Rifles Only after Sept 5th.

Once the initial testing is complete, I will make all the necessary announcements and it shouldn't be long to move the SHS forward.

Brand new action, all the stuff we talked about.

Hey lowlight, take as long as you need to get this dailed in perfectly. Hell, take months (like 6 to 8) or more.

That way I might be able to recover from my recent GAP purchase. I want to get in on this, but my funds are currently depleated.

I am itching for a 260 and this sounds like it could be the one. Damn, this is an expencive hobby. Still cheaper than golf though (and that is what I will coninue to tell the wife)!

I'm curious if the heavy (139gr - 142gr) velocity is reduced to the
point that lower B.C. (120gr - 130gr) have better ballistics.

What are you expecting from an 18" barrel? Heavies around
2725fps?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is still moving forward, I will be testing the 18" 260 when I arrive at Rifles Only after Sept 5th.

Once the initial testing is complete, I will make all the necessary announcements and it shouldn't be long to move the SHS forward.

Brand new action, all the stuff we talked about. </div></div>

Just wondering how the test is going???

6.5CM is quite alright, but I believe, personally, that the .260 is what the .260 should have been. I have no complaints, and suggest that requesting a short throat from the barrel maker, as I did, solves whatever problems the CM is supposed to fix.

Greg

yeah im curious as well what is going on with this... i have parts i've been holding for a rifle, but may just sell them all and go with this rifle......

Yes,

The rifle is being finalized, when I get back to RO this weekend, I should have it shortly after to test out the new action and the short barrel. Once i have checked it out, a notice will be made about the build.