• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA PA10 GenII lower with PA-65 , 6.5CM 20" rifle length gas upper review....

bfoosh006

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    Sorry... but I am reposting this ( deleted the other thread, I think... ) , primarily because the photos didn't all show , everytime... It is probably my posting them incorrectly.

So here goes again.. without any repeated photos

I am just sitting down to dinner.... but, just a brief preview of the better groups.... ( I will edit this post later, with considerably more info )

100yds, benched, scoped, bagged front, wedge bag rear.... 5rds each.... PSA factory 20" barrel, SLR adjustable gas block, Lantac Dragon .30cal brake.

Please bear in mind.... this is from an AR platform, yes.. IMHO, a bolt action would have most likely been more accurate....

BUT, from a $500 complete upper, I consider these groups to be outstanding

Nosler 140gr HPBT
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79252&type=thumb

Federal AE 140gr
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79253&type=thumb

Hornady 120gr ELD
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79254&type=thumb

SIG 140gr OTM
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79255&type=thumb

Attachments

• photo79252.jpg
      photo79252.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 25
    • photo79253.jpg
      photo79253.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 24
    • photo79254.jpg
      photo79254.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 26
    • photo79255.jpg
      photo79255.jpg
      93.6 KB · Views: 22
    Some of the details....

2 things I have to mention first.... The PA65 arrived missing the "slotted key" used to secure the free float tube to the barrel nut ... not a problem as I borrowed one from another PSA .308 upper.

Next, I didn't receive the "High pressure/ small diameter firing pin bolt" , instead it arrived with a .308 bolt and firing pin..... BUT !! I had NO issues using the .308 bolt and .308 firing pin....none , no pressure signs... nothing.

I contacted PSA concerning both issues and Fred is sending me all the correct parts !!! WHO says PSA CS can be troublesome !!! .... NOT me !
    IMHO, PSA is correcting the issues as good as anyone could !!

Onward to the good stuff !

Details on the rifle as it is currently setup...

Upper.... PA65 OEM complete upper, 20", rifle length gas, SLR .750 clamp on gas block, Lantac .30cal muzzle brake, Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
    The .30cal brake seemed to work good enough... well enough that I won't bother to buy a 6.5 brake.

I mildly polished the feed ramps, and slightly polished the chamber with 0000 steelwool spun on a .30/06 chamber brush via a drill. NOTE: not a AR chamber brush...but one used for a .30/06 bolt action rifle.

Lower.... The same setup I used in my .308 PSA rifle as seen in the other thread.... PSA "Multi" marked lower, LaRue MBT trigger, Magpul 1.1 grip, KAK 9.3oz .308 rifle length buffer, and a Tubbs .308 Flatwire spring.

I will add... the lower has been polished at the full length inside of the buffer tube, magwell burnished, trigger face slightly polished.

I also use Varmint Lights " X-Shims" to minimize the play between the upper and lower. I am one of those guys that believes it makes the firing the rifle accurately "easier" and more consistent in my shooting stance at the bench.

I am happy to say, there was no interference from the barrel nut against the gas tube... the charging handle did not bind as a result.

Frankly.... the whole upper was a trouble free affair... after changing parts ( that I wanted ... SLR , muzzle brake ) it was a plug and play deal.

I fired it first with the SLR wide open... just to see how it was, It certainly recoiled less then the PSA .308 upper... but was certainly gassing more then needed.
    I adjusted the SLR to 5 clicks from closed... and was GTG with all the ammo tested.
    No hiccups, no sluggishness, and as mentioned before no signs of pressure issues.... the abrupt cyclic speed is now gone...

I tried the Magpul 20rd, and 10rd mags, the Lancer 20rd, the IMI 20rd, and the D&H 20rd and 10rd mags.... all performed as meant to.
    oddly, my .308 doesn't "enjoy" the Lancer 20rd for some reason the BCG seems to drag with it.... no such issue with the 6.5 upper.... can tell the Lancer spring is strong, but in the 6.5 the Lancer never once was sluggish cycling.

Factory Ammo....

As you will see... the PSA 6.5CM barrel had its likes and dislikes accuracy wise... perfectly normal.
    For the most part, and given its price point... I think the barrel performed very well.

Onto the accuracy photos....

I didn't fire a bunch of 5rd groups of each ammo, just 2ea 5rd groups...showing the best of the 2.... the reason being, I will retest later after I true up the receiver face and Loctite the barrel into the receiver.
    I am hoping that will help with the overall consistency of the different ammos.... and help clean up the dreaded cold bore flyer, as well as some of the other fliers.

Did I mention how happy I am with this upper !!

Attachments

• photo79256.jpg
      photo79256.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 43
    • photo79257.jpg
      photo79257.jpg
      113.9 KB · Views: 50
    More ammo groups

Federal "Non-Typical" 140gr SP.... ( I was hoping these would do better ....Flat base and all )
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79258&type=thumb

Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP ... NOTE 2 separate groups with two separate POA
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79259&type=thumb

Browning 129gr BRX
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79260&type=thumb

Hornady American Whitetail 129gr Interlock
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/filedata/fetch?filedataid=79261&type=thumb

Attachments

• photo79258.jpg
      photo79258.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 20
    • photo79259.jpg
      photo79259.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 22
    • photo79260.jpg
      photo79260.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 22
    • photo79261.jpg
      photo79261.jpg
      95.2 KB · Views: 24

Attachments

• photo79262.jpg
      photo79262.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 20
    • photo79263.jpg
      photo79263.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 15
    • photo79264.jpg
      photo79264.jpg
      63.4 KB · Views: 16
    • photo79266.jpg
      photo79266.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 17

Attachments

• photo79267.jpg
      photo79267.jpg
      92.1 KB · Views: 15
    • photo79268.jpg
      photo79268.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 17
    • photo79269.jpg
      photo79269.jpg
      96.5 KB · Views: 18
    • photo79270.jpg
      photo79270.jpg
      86.8 KB · Views: 22
    Again... sorry for the mistakes... and hopefully I will figure out the posting of photos better.

I put together a 6.5CM using PA10 308 I bought as a complete rifle at the time they didn't offer a PA65. I ordered a 6.5CM 24" heavy barrel from Black Hole Weaponry and an adjustable gas block from SLR and this thing will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA it shoots way better than I expected it to. Congrats on yours it looks like a great rifle.

I put together a 6.5CM using PA10 308 I bought as a complete rifle at the time they didn't offer a PA65. I ordered a 6.5CM 24" heavy barrel from Black Hole Weaponry and an adjustable gas block from SLR and this thing will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA it shoots way better than I expected it to. Congrats on yours it looks like a great rifle.

I ended up ordering a Criterion 22" barrel and a "better" FF tube..... I snapped the PSA barrel nut after truing the receiver face, on reassembly !?.... it is aluminum....

Weird that you snapped the nut, definitely sounds like a lower quality handguard. My PA10 came with a Midwest 15" SS series handguard, which is good quality of course.

I also assembled a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in a DPMS (nothing PSA about this part, sorry) that ended up being a great shooter. Long wait, but I'd buy another.

Weird that you snapped the nut, definitely sounds like a lower quality handguard. My PA10 came with a Midwest 15" SS series handguard, which is good quality of course.

I also assembled a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel in a DPMS (nothing PSA about this part, sorry) that ended up being a great shooter. Long wait, but I'd buy another.

I suspect it is supplied from this company.... ( seeing how they carry the replacement parts.. ) http://www.jlbillet.com/308-7075-t6-...-dpms-profile/ ... frankly throughout the affair, while trying to replace the missing part and figure out the BCG.... I have found out many of the parts suppliers for the PSA 6.5CM , and undoubtly the .308 uppers.

Had the barrel nut been made of steel ... I doubt it would have snapped.... the spot it broke at is at the weakest point, and where it snugs the barrel to the receiver.
    I will be changing over to a 22" barrel and 18" Midwest Industries FF tube after testing to see if the "true n' glue" helped with overall group sizes with the replacement OEM barrel nut.

Finally got to the range today for the Trued n' Glued testing.... If anyone isn't sure if it helps, I can say, either my shooting skills dramatically improved... or the Trued n' Glued worked.

I will do the Tn'G on all my AR platforms.... the results are so obvious, that most groups could be readily / easily be seen to be better.... without measuring at the range.

Improvements in the realm of 1MOA+ will be seen in the following downloaded photos.

I will note the measured improvements as well as the few "didn't change a thing" ones.

I am hoping to alter the original posts with a before ( OEM ) and after, True n' Glue photo.

Give me some time... but, again.. if you aren't sure if you want to do it.... I will argue that you should !! Lol

Also there will be some added ammo tested from the Tn'G barrel.

Wow .... I am still impressed with the results just thinking about it.

Great posting. I have been looking at the PSA PA10. Sounds like it definitely has potential. DOes it use a DPMS pattern handguard, charging handle and barrel? It sure seems to be a great entry level offering. Looking forward to the before and after comparison "Tn'G barrel" modification.